The Brooklyn Red Hook Terminal - A Photo Essay

Paul NH

Nice photos, Paul. Simple question: How was the drive to the pier? We'll be coming up on the Gowanus from the Verrazano to the Hamilton Avenue exit and just was curious how hard the drive from this point will be. :)
Once you get off the BQE, it is really easy to get to the pier, especially if you keep a general bearing on the direction of the waterfront. Most times, you can see the liner several blocks over. Just take any street in the general direction, and then you will see little blue signs for the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on various street posts. It was a breeze. I *did* study the maps ahead of time though, so maybe that contributed to the easiness.

Paul

I think I first saw those weird martini glasses in Kohl's, a discount department store. I thought they were sort of cute, but looked very impractical! I did not buy them (Besides, My tastes tend to run more towards margarita glasses, which I have wa-a-a-y too many of!) The other things which seemed to be popular in the ads last year were those dumb test tube looking things which sit in a lower "bowl" of ice. I think they were originally advertised for maritinis, when they became au courant. I thought- what in hell would you do with one of those when you are not in the act of sipping? You can't put them down! Imagine being at a cocktail party, trying to balance that and fill a pliable paper plate with something to snack on. Talk about a recipe for disaster! (And stained carpets!) I suppose you could use your jeans pocket as a holder for them...... But not on Cunard! <G>

I did have drinks from those odd martini glasses onboard, and did okay with them at the (tall) bar in the Commodore Club, but now that I think about it, I also had them in the Golden Lion, where one is leaning over the table. And now that I think about it, I think I DID spill it!

Karie,

who thinks spilling drinks is alcohol abuse! And I try to never abuse my alcohol!

Well I tried to figure it out, but I have *no* idea what the reference to Gloria being sick on the train on Monday is about.

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi......Thus passes away the Glory of the World.......;)

Peter

Paul, I just wanted to thank you for the spectacular job you did of posting the pictures with clear and helpful captions. I feel much better when I can picture WHERE I am going and what to look for. You have ratcheted up my comfort level about sixty five notches!

Carol, who is perfectly content to cruise out of Brooklyn, since she can drive there from her house as easily as to Manhattan. :)

... Failing that maybe we could convince New York to dig out the reef at the North end of Governor's Island and sail around the island on the way out (negating the need for the backing around and in) and get the experience of Eastern Manhattan Skyline.
Karie,

I will bet you the reason the ship does not go around Governor's Island is because the tunnel to Manhattan is directly below that passage.

From the layout of the area, if they did circle around Governor's Island, the experience would still be just the view of the tip of Southern Manhattan, just a little closer. It would be an improvement, but still a long cry from the 30 ~ 45 minutes one gets of Manhattan sailing down the Hudson.

I heard onboard that during the Commodore's figurative farewell in June (or was it July? I forget), the QM2 is going to sail up the Hudson and sound its horn in tribute and rotate around and dock in Brooklyn.

Paul

Karie,

I will bet you the reason the ship does not go around Governor's Island is because the tunnel to Manhattan is directly below that passage.

I heard onboard that during the Commodore's figurative farewell in June (or was it July? I forget), the QM2 is going to sail up the Hudson and sound its horn in tribute and rotate around and dock in Brooklyn.

Paul

Gosh, Paul, I hope you're right. That would be such a fitting send-off. I do try to make the best of whatever the situation, but sailing up the Hudson one last time would be a marvelous way to have the Master and the mistress showing under best conditions!

The Commodore himself told me about the reef. If there is also a tunnel,, well, I suppose that wouldn't do. But if New york likes the money that comes of having a terminal, and they like the jobs, it wouldn't hurt them (And Cunard, It can't cost that much more in fuel or time than the turning around does) to let the ship take a quick jog up the Hudson, as long as it does not create navigation hazards (when other ships are leaving at the same time) And it would mean a lot to the passengers and crew, especially since Cunard relies so heavily on that tradition in their advertising and all

Karie,

Who would be pleased to see the whole thing in Daylight, and not at below freezing in strong winds!

Paul, I just wanted to thank you for the spectacular job you did of posting the pictures with clear and helpful captions. I feel much better when I can picture WHERE I am going and what to look for. You have ratcheted up my comfort level about sixty five notches!

Carol, who is perfectly content to cruise out of Brooklyn, since she can drive there from her house as easily as to Manhattan. :)

Hello Carol,

When I was a teenager I used to work at the Merion Golf Club as a dishwasher. I was certain that I was actually born a Dupont and that somehow I was switched at birth into a humbler family, but no one bought my story at the club.

Paul

PaulNH. I have a website for the Crown Princess roll call for the 7/11 cruise. I would LOVE to put your photos on the site, along with your comments. May I please have your permission? I will credit you with a link if you wish. Let me know. Either here or nancy @ liedel . org (remove the spaces to send me an e-mail. I detest all types of spam).

Hi PAul:

YOu are certainly popular! I'm wondering if on the QM2 if you can find quiet places or is it difficult to escape piped in music in the lounges, outside decks or dining areas? ANy help greatly appreciated...Thanks.

PAtrick

I'm wondering if on the QM2 if you can find quiet places or is it difficult to escape piped in music in the lounges, outside decks or dining areas?PAtrick
Patrick,

It seemed like there was some modest improvement on the background music situation since last year. It is quiet out on the decks, save for the sound of the surf, and I was happy to see that the Commodore Club was quiet early in the morning.

There is still piped-in music for breakfast and lunch in Britannia (it is live and tasteful during dinner), and is still on most times in many of the lounges. It did not seem as intrusive this time around.

I remember Sir Samuels was playing Diane Warwick-type background music when I had my Cafe Americano around noon each day - distinctly remember Petula Clark's "Downtown" (you can always go .... Downtown) once, and my wife and son and I got the song stuck in our heads for a couple of hours afterwards, humming it from time to time.

The library is quiet. I believe the Atlantic Room is quiet as well - you can hear the wind whistling up there. Connexions is also quiet, as well as the Deck 2 and 3 forward observation windows. When the background music was present, it seemed to be at a lower volume. One time it came on pretty loud in Britannia and an Assistant Maitre'D just about yelled a couple of words over to someone and it was turned down immediately. They could still scale it back some in all of the rooms, but at least I did not come across obnoxious situations, like I did last June.

Paul

where the scheduled water taxis dock in Brooklyn depends whether it is a weekend or a weekday. If a weekday, there is an additional dock used during rush hours. I have been advised by fellow travelers that it would be too far to walk to the QM2 from whatever dock the scheduled water taxi uses in Brooklyn.

Nevertheless, I expect to call New York Water Taxi a few days before my June 9th cruise to get the latest.

Thanks for all the info and photos.

I will be driving in from Long Island because it will be cheaper than hiring a town car.

How far is the parking lot to the terminal?

Safety of car being left in Brooklyn? Gated?

If you look on a map which direction is the parking lot from the terminal?

All info on this would be appreicated.

Thanks for all the info and photos.

I will be driving in from Long Island because it will be cheaper than hiring a town car.

How far is the parking lot to the terminal?

Safety of car being left in Brooklyn? Gated?

If you look on a map which direction is the parking lot from the terminal?

All info on this would be appreicated.

The parking area is as close to any parking terminal I have even seen. It is gated and Barb wired. The Parlking area is due south of the entrace to the terminal. On the Pictures I posted of the Golden Princess you can see the parking lot which is South and East of the Ship...I'll post a link...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=343223

also around is a discussion of the safety of parking. No one has reported a problem but someone said he wouldn't park there but he also a person who never park at a oarking lot at a airport.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived