Poll for living on a Cruise ship full time

vaccardi

What would you do given the following options of living on a cruise ship?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do given the following options of living on a cruise ship?

• Would not live on a cruise condo, even on a half year share basis
    • @ $150K for 120 sq ft cabin and $1500 month + food per person on refurbished ship
    • @ $350K for 300 sq ft cabin and $2000 month + food per person on refurbished ship
    • @ $900K for 800 sq ft cabin w/ varanda and $3000 month + food per person on refurbished ship
    • @ $1.5M for 800 sq ft cabin and $4000 month + food per person on new ship like ResidenSea

I did not get the poll on the previous post, so here it is. I posted this on ResidenSea, but there is not a whole lot of traffic there, so I decided to post it on a couple of other areas. I was wondering what you would do given the following cruise residency options.

Where's the option of

____ Win the Lottery, then pay for a cabin and $2,000/month.

That's the only one that would get me on a residence ship. Actually I would prefer part of a ship as perpetual passengers, and most as normal cruise passengers. That would give us something to talk about :D

I would not book on the ResidenSea. When I retire I figure the cost of assistant living to what it will cost to book a low cat cabin on any ship for every week of the year I come out cheaper if I book cruises. I like my scenery to change unlike the residenSea which will always be the same. NAH!!

I will take two land vacations each year. How could we go wrong- everything is there that I would need. A dr.. food. people. cant die in my sleep and no one find me for weeks... could you imagine the weight I can gain...:D

It would no longer be special if we lived on the same ship. We like the chance to explore and see what ALL of the ships and what they have to offer. Then we can sail again on the ones we find the most appealing.

With the highly infrequent exception of an elderly eccentric, NO ONE lives on a cruise ship. Even the crews get the H off a few months of the year. Residensea's owners are rarely aboard and use the condos for corporate or god knows what purposes. Giga yacht owners are rarely aboard those gems. Those rare folks that do actually live on boats as housing spend the vast majority of their time moored and ashore somewhere they call home.

This poll definately falls into the "What if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly?" catagory...

Too much of a good thing. I think you would begin to feel restless and confined over an extended time period. Some of the excitement of a cruise is simply it's anticipation. This would be missed.

I think you all have good points. I had read somewhere that for a couple, the average cost of living in retirement was around $1250/month per person, excluding medical expenses. That was were I came up with that number. The least expensive I have seen cruises is about $500/week/person. That would be $4000/month, and only at liquidation prices (probably around 50% of the year.)

Thanks to all

Fuzzy,

Went to that site. Some beautiful yachts, but they look like I would have to add one more option to the poll:

@3$3-10M for 500-1500sq ft with a $50K month operating fee!!!

I wish I could ;)

I have received several replies with a comparison to cruising on a standard cruise line on several of the threads, which I believe is a valid comparison. But I believe that the expectations of cost are probably a little off. The lowest one can expect to get a cabin regularly during the low seasons (60-70% of the time,) is about $60/day/person, or $3600/ month/cabin, plus taxes and the expectation of tips. With those expenses it would probably be closer to $4500/ month for a inside cabin in the 150 sq ft range. The cruise lines are only willing to do this for the low seasons, and if that would not be acceptable, then the monthly average could be as double that.

The itineraries would be similar or the same after a 2 week cycle, during any one of these seasons, unless changing ships is an option. Also, while I did not state this, some items that are normally big income generators for cruise lines, would be significantly less expensive or free (house wine, beer, basic spa services, basic internet and phone, etc.)

I plan on generating a report with the results of all the poll on all the threads and posting it in a couple of days. Thanks to all for your input.

Vince

With the highly infrequent exception of an elderly eccentric, NO ONE lives on a cruise ship. Even the crews get the H off a few months of the year. Residensea's owners are rarely aboard and use the condos for corporate or god knows what purposes. Giga yacht owners are rarely aboard those gems. Those rare folks that do actually live on boats as housing spend the vast majority of their time moored and ashore somewhere they call home.

This poll definately falls into the "What if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly?" catagory...

I know of a residenesea owner and they do use it quite a bit and for their own personal use as do some of their friends. Last time we saw them the wife had just gotten off of it in NY and flew down here to Naples where they have one of their condos on the gulf. They also bring their family on board or allow their family to use the cabin.

Archived