I like having my own cabin!(I feel so guilty)

INCHARGE

Sharing a cabin is wonderful if it is with a beloved spouse or significant other, but other than that having your own cabin is the only way to go. While I haven't yet been able to give myself the luxury of a balcony cabin, I always book an outside with a window.

Like many other posters I am not antisocial and I actually have no problem making good friends aboard ship but I really, really enjoy the luxury of being able to go "home" at the end of the day and know that the space I have paid for is all mine. I can listen to music, watch at DVD movie, order from room service and just veg out and recharge my batteries for the next day's fun. I don't sleep all that well (although on a cruiseship I seem to sleep much better:D ) so if I feel like reading a book at 2:00 a.m. for a couple of hours I can do so without worrying about disturbing a cabinmate.

Valerie:)

Hi Incharge,

I couldn't find anywhere that you said when your cruise is/was - anyway I hope that you will have/had a wonderful cruise and I am sure that you and your friend's friendship will be even stronger since you opted for the single cabins.

Mikesteg: I read your post re: mooning Costa Rica and loved it. Thanks for a great laugh. I will have to remember, since I have an outside window cabin, to be more careful about my early morning attire (or lack thereof) on port days.:D

Like many other posters I am not antisocial and I actually have no problem making good friends aboard ship but I really, really enjoy the luxury of being able to go "home" at the end of the day and know that the space I have paid for is all mine. I can listen to music, watch at DVD movie, order from room service and just veg out and recharge my batteries for the next day's fun. I don't sleep all that well (although on a cruiseship I seem to sleep much better:D ) so if I feel like reading a book at 2:00 a.m. for a couple of hours I can do so without worrying about disturbing a cabinmate.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. :D I also read lat night before I go to sleep, which is usually very late. Another habit I have is that I keep the TV on all night. Most people prefer it to be dark in the room, I need the tv sound. I carry my MP3 with a small speaker that goes on my table. If I want to listen to music, I won't disturb anyone.

I am cruising 9/24 on the Valor again. I am getting soooo excited. :)

• 8 months later...

I don't have to share the bathroom, or closet space. I get all the drawers and safe to myself. At night I can leave the TV on without bothering anyone, or cough. I can walk around the room without tripping over anyone. On the balconey I can have the sun or the shade. I fill the frig with the things I like. There is plenty of room for the room service trays. I could go on and on. This is luxury to me.

Ok, I'm feeling so guilty.

Why on earth would you feel guilty, it's your money?

I love having a cabin to myself. I know that sounds terrible

It doesn't sound terrible at all!

:D

Has anyone else loved the complete freedom of having your own cabin?

I definitely do. In three weeks, I will board the QM2 for a transatlantic crossing in a Queens Grill suite all to myself. I plan on spending a lot of time in the "attire" you mention. Except for one time, all my ocean voyages have been solo; and, if there are those times you want some company in the cabin, quite often it's available, and hopefully she would like to be in the same "attire".

Not so much guilty as sometimes almost bored. Pretty much BTDT cruising 20 years so do enjoy when my 11 year old is along or when meeting folks for whom cruising is a new experience. Also used to mountain climb and backpack so I guess I'm not really adverse to sharing short quarters. Also realize the dollars needed to cruise are a problem to some of our future adventurers - hate to waste a room, especially if I'm just going to hop on and hop off a ship briefly just for BTDT points.

Why on earth would you feel guilty, it's your money?

Not so much guilty as sometimes almost bored. Pretty much BTDT cruising 20 years ...

Have only cruised a few years (but, 9th cruise in April) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE having my own space and cabin and vacation!!!!! Agree with post - call it bored, call it lonely... it does come with traveling solo.

Using CC message board's Roll Call has made every cruise much better :) . Also if you're traveling solo, you WANT people to notice if you're suddenly not there!

The good side, Traveling Solo means: It's really ok to go to the "towel animal folding" seminar; and the other "corny" things that we don't admit we secretly enjoy :rolleyes: . The trivia contests or a talk on ?? the Mayan Ruins...

On ships that have a movie room, I enjoy taking in a movie while on board - enjoyed "Sea Biscuit," "MI3" and "The DaVinci Code" (for free) on a ship. I've also watched movies in my cabin that I never would have watched at home like "Fun with Dick and Jane"..... oh, heck! When you're on vacation you can even get away with watching (and enjoying) reruns of "Bewitched"! (sometimes that really is all that's on the tv :p )

• 4 months later...
This is EXACTLY how I feel. :D I also read lat night before I go to sleep, which is usually very late. Another habit I have is that I keep the TV on all night. Most people prefer it to be dark in the room, I need the tv sound. I carry my MP3 with a small speaker that goes on my table. If I want to listen to music, I won't disturb anyone.

I also sleep with the TV on (and also lights sometimes). From experience I know this is usually not taken very kindly to by roomates. So I spend the extra money and go solo. Other than the obvious hit on the bank account it has tons of advantages as seen on prior posts. Looking foward to watching the Panama Canal go by from my own private balcony on my Birthday. :D

I have to admit that when I first booked my cruise on Se[t 2.2007 I was worried about going Solo but since I've been reading this board and all the solo posts I am so looking forward to going alone.

I've travel on two other cruises and had a bad roomate each time. Both were good friends but on the ship we didn't want to do anything the same. At the stops we didn't want to see the same things. We didn't want to eat the same places and our sleeping habits were very different.

This trip I'm sure to have a great time doing what I want and when I want.

Thanks to everyone who has gone solo and has been great at putting my mind to rest.

Joanne

I love having my own cabin for the same reasons listed here and I can include that I am a "napper" and like to go back to MY empty room, pull the drapes and rejuvinate for my next caper. If I want to gamble, I don't have someone standing over my shoulder whispering "you really should quit"...If I want to shop until I drop, I don't have someone standing on the sidewalk, arms crossed looking like they just had a tooth pulled. I can do anything I want, when I want to OR...nothing at all! Can't wait for my next solo, whenever that might be. Still looking, but considering TA for next one this fall. GET OUT THERE!

• 3 weeks later...

Almost all of my cruises and most of my other vacations have been solo. Yes, the single supplemement bites, but I prefer having my own space to do as I please, when I please. I'm an outgoing person, so its easy to meet people (at dinner on deck, at the bar, and on excursions). Often, the people I meet look for me to join them, and I sometimes I do. Plenty of women cruise solo these days, and that makes us less of a rarity. I'm alone only if/when I want to be, but rarely am I lonely. How luxurious it is to sip some exotic cocktail at the beach or by the pool, dark sunglasses on, munching on something you'll only indulge in on a cruise, and reading the trashiest book you can find. Ahhhhhh! That's the life.

• 5 weeks later...

My first SOLO CRUSING was a Trans Atlantic Barcelona to Miami on the Brilliance OTS , I could find no one to come with me but I really wanted to go and the price had dropped so much , and I had just cruised on the Brilliance that June thru the Mediterannean with my sister. So yes I paid double for a Balcony , I met everyone from the Cruise Critic and this cruised turned out to be the best cruise ever.

I made so many new friends had terrific Dining couples , the first night of dining someone approched our table and jokingly asked if he could have my hand in marriage , I was the only single lady at our table , it was so sweet , everyone was in search of guy for me thru out the cruise, I could go anywhere I wanted to at anytime I could stay at the Disco till closing , I esp enjoyed my balcony cabin all to myself ........... MMMMMMMMMM ........ now I have a boyfriend and we have cruised twice with ea other 2 wks to Hawaii on the Radiance and 2 wks thru Mediterannean on the Legends ......... let me tell you , its not the same when your with someone, they want the curtains closed , they dont care for the Disco , what lounges and entertainment we should go to , sometimes hes just happy staying in the cabin watching a movie .............but .......... we have more cruises to do and we love our adventures .......... se la vie ..........:)

I love having the cabin all to myself and I don't feel guilty. I worked hard all my life so I can enjoy that little luxury. Its a wonderful feeling to come back to a cabin that is all yours! There are exceptions, I took two longer cruises with my daughter when we shared a cabin to keep the costs down. One of the cruises was 22 days to Antarctica to play with the penguins:D . My daughter and I get along very well so it was fun. The only other exception, as a single guy, is taking a romantic cruise with a lady friend - the whole experience of being with someone for the first time and it doesn't get better than on a cruise ship:p . Cheers and happy cruising.....Jim.

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, I'm feeling so guilty. I love having a cabin to myself. I know that sounds terrible, but it's true. I like having all that room to myself, being able to walk around wth the clothing attire I was born in! :D On my next cruise, I have a friend that wanted to go with me. I got depressed thinking about having to share my cabin space. I was able to get her a 1-A cabin with porthole windows for a 7 day Eastern on my ship at a great sale price. She is happy, and you KNOW I am estatic. :D Has anyone else loved the complete freedom of having your own cabin?

My first cruise is coming up and actually this will be my first time cruisng alone I must that I am a little nervous. I really wish that I had someone coming along with me but I can relish in the fact that I can do what I want when I want without disturbing anyone:cool:

My first cruise is coming up and actually this will be my first time cruisng alone I must that I am a little nervous. I really wish that I had someone coming along with me but I can relish in the fact that I can do what I want when I want without disturbing anyone:cool:

Hi, just a kind word from a long time solo cruiser:) nerves can

be normal but I bet once you get on board the ship they will

disappear:D

Also, see if there is Roll Call for your sailing and that is truely

a great way to meet other folks.

I have sailed solo so many times in the past 4 years I don't think

I would ever share a cabin again;) ....of course I won't ever

say "never"...under the right circumstances. But on a normal

basis, I just love having my own space too much to give it up.

Try to relax and have a wonderful time....cruisers are really

fun people:)

I went on my first solo cruise last February....got very nervous the few days just prior to leaving...and after 5 minutes on the ship - it was great, one of the best vacations ever, have since gone to Alaska solo and leave in a month for another short one solo....

Have fun - enjoy your cruise - and get involved in your rollcall

Solo cruiser here, too! Love it! Love it! Love it! My cousin and I cruise together, in seperate cabins. We each have our own space to enjoy yet meet up to enjoy dinner, shows, explore the ports together, etc. My best cruises have been with her. I have shared my cabin with friends/family and haven't had any bad experiences, but I do prefer to have my own cabin. I too enjoy the extra closet space, the ability to "air dry" after a shower :D , keep the TV on all night, turn the thermostat down low, nap when I want, read at 3 AM, and most importantly: EAT THE EXTRA CHOCOLATES !!!! :D

I have no guilt at all about having my own cabin. My alone time in the cabin is one of the best parts of cruising. I leave in two days aboard the Emerald Princess 10-day Caribbean and CAN'T WAIT !!!!

I find it's not only on cruises that I get a few butterflies; as a single woman traveling alone, I am stared at often. I wouldn't say that I've gotten used to it (nor the odd suspicion that some people seem to have towards a woman traveling alone!), but I just don't let it get in the way of my having a good time.

I also am a person to whom personal space, privacy, and the ability to come and go as I please are extremely important freedoms. It's just part of the deal to sometimes feel a little self conscious. There is just so much to do and see, like other posters have said, the butterflies don't hang around long!

Hope you have the time of your life on your trip, and congratulations for your bravery!

Jane :)

When I went on my first cruise, well first vacation alone for that matter last Oct. I was really nervous. It turned out to be the best vacation of my life! I could do what I wanted when I wanted. It did make it a bit easier being part of a CC group. There were always people around that I knew from chatting on line and being part of the group, I am going on another cruise solo next year and looking forward to it!:D :D

Hi, just a kind word from a long time solo cruiser:) nerves can

be normal but I bet once you get on board the ship they will

disappear:D

Also, see if there is Roll Call for your sailing and that is truely

a great way to meet other folks.

I have sailed solo so many times in the past 4 years I don't think

I would ever share a cabin again;) ....of course I won't ever

say "never"...under the right circumstances. But on a normal

basis, I just love having my own space too much to give it up.

Try to relax and have a wonderful time....cruisers are really

fun people:)

Thanks for the info I have interacted with several people under that particular roll call

I went on my first solo cruise last February....got very nervous the few days just prior to leaving...and after 5 minutes on the ship - it was great, one of the best vacations ever, have since gone to Alaska solo and leave in a month for another short one solo....

Have fun - enjoy your cruise - and get involved in your rollcall

You guys amke it sound so easy. Well if you guys say its easy it must can't wait to go

You guys amke it sound so easy. Well if you guys say its easy it must can't wait to go

It is easy. The most important thing about cruising (or for that matter..anything), is enjoying your own company. I am very happy to sit on a deck chair, by myself, reading or listening to music. I don't have to have be involved with people to feel content. I'm not extremely outgoing, but I do start conversations with people.

One thing I have found though, as a woman traveling alone, is that if I am in a conversation with a man who is alone, its usually a matter of minutes before his wife or significant other, suddenly makes a bee-line over and claims her territory. Really, if I wanted a husband, I would have one. I'm not interested in anyone elses. :) If I have a conversation with a man, it doesn't mean I'm looking to get get lucky. I'm being friendly. I'd just as soon start a conversation with a woman, or even children. That is just about the only awkward thing that comes to mind when I think of cruising solo.

I hear that. I think I made that comment on another solo thread. Some women are terribly threatened by another woman talking to their husband. Although I'm sensitive to this, it can get annoying when I'm looked at so suspiciously. I mean, really, I'm 56 years old, hardly a threat to anyone!!

Jane :rolleyes:

Archived