Playa Uvas

rscima

Hi Brenjmull2! My DH and I have dived in Uvas several times. I know they have certified diving from the beach, or from the boat, as well as diving for beginners from the beach. They also offer a diving certification course for beginners, but that one lasts 3 days. Hope it helps :) :p

I would ABSOLUTELY recommend Playa Uvas. Had a wonderful time snorkeling. Our guide was wonderful as was all the staff. Beverages were abundant and food was GREAT.

Short ride from cruise dock and taxis readily available for trip back to pier.

Thank you, Playa Uvas for a wonderful day!

We will be in Cozumel on Dec 13 and still haven't decided what to do :mad: Too many choices!!

We want to go snorkeling and have some beach time as well, so this is sounding like the place!

Who did you book through?

Thanks!

You can go right to their website

http://www.playauvas.com/

and book thru there (look at the option on the left for their full price list)

if you "like" them on Facebook, you can get a discount, too.

DH and I were there on Thanksgiving. Caught a cab from the Puerta Maya taxi stand (where the cabbie tried to talk us into Mr Sanchos), and met Carmen at the entrance. Rented a locker for our stuff, for $9.00, and you get $5.00 back when you return the key. They had towels for rent, too, but we brought ours from the ship. There are clean restrooms, and a place to shower off before you head back to your ship.

I did the guided snorkel tour, with open bar & lunch. DH did the beach break with open bar & lunch. I DID buy the biodegradable sunscreen at the entrance, and was pleased to discover they do NOT rip you off - it was cheaper at Playa Uvas than it was at one of the Farmacias in town.

The snorkeling was nice. There IS sand on the beach, with a classic iron beach entrance. My guide was Jonathan, and he was great!! He spotted out lobster, eel, and even managed to find a ray under the sand. Good guide!!:)

The food? Yum, we had the grilled fish fillet, with rice, tortillas and grilled veggies. It was really good! And I fell in love with the fresh "limonada". Alex was our waiter, very nice, very attentive. Cesar apologized for not being with us our entire visit, but Alex was at our loungers everytime our drinks got low. Fantastic day, fantastic place. Wish we were still there!

We will be in Cozumel on Dec 13 and still haven't decided what to do :mad: Too many choices!!

We want to go snorkeling and have some beach time as well, so this is sounding like the place!

Who did you book through?

Thanks!

DH and I were there on Thanksgiving. Caught a cab from the Puerta Maya taxi stand (where the cabbie tried to talk us into Mr Sanchos), and met Carmen at the entrance. Rented a locker for our stuff, for $9.00, and you get $5.00 back when you return the key. They had towels for rent, too, but we brought ours from the ship. There are clean restrooms, and a place to shower off before you head back to your ship.

I did the guided snorkel tour, with open bar & lunch. DH did the beach break with open bar & lunch. I DID buy the biodegradable sunscreen at the entrance, and was pleased to discover they do NOT rip you off - it was cheaper at Playa Uvas than it was at one of the Farmacias in town.

The snorkeling was nice. There IS sand on the beach, with a classic iron beach entrance. My guide was Jonathan, and he was great!! He spotted out lobster, eel, and even managed to find a ray under the sand. Good guide!!:)

The food? Yum, we had the grilled fish fillet, with rice, tortillas and grilled veggies. It was really good! And I fell in love with the fresh "limonada". Alex was our waiter, very nice, very attentive. Cesar apologized for not being with us our entire visit, but Alex was at our loungers everytime our drinks got low. Fantastic day, fantastic place. Wish we were still there!

I agree, I always book directly through them and they are also my friend on FB. Get great discounts through that!! :)

I am counting down the days!! We leave on Monday on the cruise and we arrive in Cozumel on Thursday i think....Can't wait!!! :) Looking forward to seein Eduardo, Carmen & their wonderful staff as well as their food, drinks and snorkeling!!:D

We, my wife, daughter (20) and son (16) were at Playa Uvas Thanksgiving day. We did a two tank resort dive. I was the only family member that had SCUBA before. We had such a good time that my family is now done with snorkeling. Luis did an absolutely great job of teaching us the basics and then making sure we had the best time in the water. Once we were back at the resort, we had a great lunch and relaxed with in the sun. The resort was very easy to get to and returning to the ship was a breeze.

Thanks to Carmen for being so friendly......hope to see you all again very soon....

Any questions that I can answer, please ask!

My family and I were at Playa Uvas on November 23. It was a quick cab ride from the port for $10. Once we got there we were able to relax right away all the datails already taken care of. We were unable to partake in the snorkeling excursion since we had two little ones with us but we were able to snorkel right off the beach. I couldn't believe the amount of sea life! The beach is rocky but once you get a little ways in it is smooth and sandy. Everyone was super helpful and friendly. We never ran low on drinks and our lunch of fajitas for us and quesadillas for the kids was delicious. We had a great time. I am glad I came here to read the reviews and decided to go. Next time we're in Cozumel we will definitely return to Playa Uvas!

We're going next week... should we book right away or just wait til we get to the port?

And no money up front, pay at the gate when you get there....but your "spot" is reserved. Had our names and what plan we'd picked on the whiteboard when we got there. I had snorkel, open bar & lunch, hubby had open bar & lunch. Got 2 loungers right up front on the water, under the sombrilla, with Alex (great waiter) right there to take our order. Fantastic day:)

WOW what a great time at Playa Uvas! Welcomed us by name, waited on us in a very personable but yet profressional manner, never had to ask for another drink, and great location. It was a bit windy on 12-7-10 when we there so they cancelled the guided snorkle tour and gave us a portion of our money back without asking for it but it calmed down later and I snorkled with their equipment for free. I have been to Cozumel six other times and this was the best snorkling I have done. Right on their beach just 10 to 15 feet into the water were plenty of fish to view. I did go out further but basically just swam the perimeter of their area. It was absolutely beautiful and I'm sure I could have seen even more by just going out further than I did. We also took in a very relaxing massage to cap off our day at Uvas! Great deal, close to the ship, excellent service, very good snorkling, delicious drinks and food, and one beautiful view.....$35pp!

Our ship is not scheduled to dock until 10am. Would it still be worth it for us to go there if they close at 4? Could we bring our own snorkel gear? It's only supposed to be 70 degrees, so I'm not sure if we will be interested in going in the water. Would it be better to go here or to Paradise Beach? We are two adults, no kids.

Uvas is very near to the docks, so from 11 am to 4 pm you have more than enough time to enjoy the day. During this time of the year even though the wind is cold, the temperature in the water is warm, so, just in case, bring your snorkel gear; you might feel like gettting in the water and snorkel on your own.

Happy New Year!

I would like to apologize for my delay. I have gotten ill and can't seem to shake it off. I'm just now starting to feel better so I figured I would post one now.

Our stop in Cozumel was delayed. We had to port in Punta Langosta and due to the winds we were not cleared by customs to leave the ship until 9am. Our director also informed the guests that several water excursions will be cancelled for the day. He named them one by one and I knew that our snorkel trou would be cancelled as well. We booked directly through Playa Uvas but I knew that if they were cancelling water excursions I knew that our tour would be cancelled as well. Before arriving to Playa Uvas we decided to do some shopping downtown. We shopped for several hours until noon. At noon we got a taxi and off we went to Playa Uvas. After a short cab ride we arrived at Playa Uvas. I was greeted by Carmen. To my surprise there was a wedding taking place. It brought back memories of my wedding day. We sat down and ordered lunch and watched the wedding take place. There were 3 in our group. Self, DH, and DM. We all ordered fajitas and DM, and I ordered lemonade while my husband ordered Tecate. I just love their fajitas!! We ate while the wedding group took pictures and enjoyed the view. Although there was a wedding taking place we still felt like we were the only ones there. I went around and took pictures and lounged around and took in the sun. Overall, my day at Playa Uvas was great! Even though I was bummed not being able to snorkel I still had a very relaxing day. Their staff is very attentive and polite. Their facility is well maintained and kept very clean. I will be back again hopefully soon and if weather permits go snorkeling! J

P1030949.jpg

PC100617.jpg

PC100603.jpg

PC100605.jpg

Thanks for that review! I'm trying to decide by the end of the week to do Coconuts/Rasta's on the south east side, wander downtown (I hear Pescaderia San Calos is the best fish in town!), and Playa Uvas.

You've made me strongly lean towards Playa Uvas. How was the weather?

Edit: Actually, you mentioned that you came from downtown! How much was the taxi fare? Maybe we could do both!

Edited by Lixer

Hmmm, it appears you can't do a second edit!

Do you know how much the drinks were on their own? I can't really snorkel due to glasses, but it might be nice to have a second drink and fins included for just a few bucks more.

Thanks for that review! I'm trying to decide by the end of the week to do Coconuts/Rasta's on the south east side, wander downtown (I hear Pescaderia San Calos is the best fish in town!), and Playa Uvas.

You've made me strongly lean towards Playa Uvas. How was the weather?

Edit: Actually, you mentioned that you came from downtown! How much was the taxi fare? Maybe we could do both!

The taxi fare is fairly inexpensive. We paid I think $10 bucks for 3 ppl to go up there and back. So roughly 20 bucks. The weather to me around this time of the year changes. Some days it rains the next its sunny. Ive been there 5 times and this is the first time that I have been there to where it was actually a little chilly (due to the wind) It was actually a little more chilly downtown.. I love Playa Uvas! Everytime we go to Cozumel we always go to Uvas. I recommend them highly to my friends and family.

Hmmm, it appears you can't do a second edit!

Do you know how much the drinks were on their own? I can't really snorkel due to glasses, but it might be nice to have a second drink and fins included for just a few bucks more.

You can do a second edit as long as it's within the 15 min frame.

I used to wear glasses and I never let that stop me from snorkeling!! lol

I got the LASIK surgery so I no longer have to worry about glasses and/or contacts! YAY!! I know they used to have a package to where you can pay for your entrance fee and in it came one free beverage (I believe its like $7 bucks). You can check out their website for packages but I will also tell you that if you have a facebook account you can go onto their page and read several reviews and see pictures that people have posted on facebook about Playa Uvas. They also give special discounts to ppl who are their friends on facebook so you can use one of their facebook discounts as well.

Playa Uvas wins hands down! We were there last week for our second time. It's small, immaculately cleaned and groomed, simple, great snorkeling, great food, great drink, and it's an incredible value with different price points for admission packages. The beachside massage was incredible. Cab fare from the pier is about $10 each way for up to 4 passengers, and cabs are readily available with easy access at the pier. Have never ventured a message board recommendation anywhere before this one!

• 2 weeks later...

Was the snorkeling in very deep water? I enjoy snorkeling, but do not like diving down into the water. I know...I miss most of the sea life that way, but I prefer to stay at the top and look down. Also, my mom will be going with us and needs to stay in the shade. Do they have beach umbrellas that can be brought out near the loungers? Thanks!!

Was the snorkeling in very deep water? I enjoy snorkeling, but do not like diving down into the water. I know...I miss most of the sea life that way, but I prefer to stay at the top and look down. Also, my mom will be going with us and needs to stay in the shade. Do they have beach umbrellas that can be brought out near the loungers? Thanks!!

They slowly go into the deep water but you don't have to dive down to get a closer look if you don't want to. I can't dive down for some random reason but i am still able to enjoy the view. I think that they still do have umbrellas. I just know that the day we were there they weren't any out but the sun wasn't out too much. I would email them directly to make sure but I'm pretty sure that they do. She could also sit down over there where lunch is served at.

Hope this helps!!