Playa Uvas

rscima

They slowly go into the deep water but you don't have to dive down to get a closer look if you don't want to. I can't dive down for some random reason but i am still able to enjoy the view. I think that they still do have umbrellas. I just know that the day we were there they weren't any out but the sun wasn't out too much. I would email them directly to make sure but I'm pretty sure that they do. She could also sit down over there where lunch is served at.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks so much for your reply!!! I think the rest of my party has nixed Playa Uvas due to the sand and rocky beach...I will have to save it for my next adventure!

We were in Playa Uvas last Thurs. Jan.6th. taxidriver charged us $22 for a van:D, Carmen welcomed us by name then introduced us to the wait staff and our snorkel guide. We decided to snorkel around noon. Our guide Jonathan was in the water with us and another guide in the kayak which made it easy for them to keep track of all of us, I saw lots of colorfull fish and some barracuda a huge lobster and beautiful sea horses, our waiter Alex was fantastic and really watched to see if our glass was getting low. We all had fish filet for lunch and they were very good and tasty! Of all the drinks we had, this time the mango daiquiri was our favorite :p. It was definetly the best day we had on the cruise. Thanks Eduardo, Carmen and the rest of the staff at Playa Uvas! we'll back for sure!;)

Just went to Playa Uvas on Jan 20th. This was THE perfect spot. There were 5 other boats in port that day and I had heard that Nachi Cocum had booked up, but this was a little secluded spot in heaven, and for a lot cheaper than other places. I don't think there were more than 15-20 people on land at any given moment here. The drinks were strong even with the free drink tickets. My boyfriend did the snorkeling on his own and saw a variety of neat fish. I enjoyed the hammocks, breeze, sun, and view of the clear blue sea.

We would definitely come back here if we had the chance!

Hello Carmen, Reyes, Eduardo, and the rest of the crew at Playa Uvas. Tim and I can't wait to be there again in a week! Cozumel just wouldn't be the same without snorkeling with Reyes and relaxing on the beach in Uvas! Sooo glad that we found you guys! :D

I really can't decide which place to go to when we are in Cozmel in April. I know on this thread that Playa Uvas gets great reviews and I think we would really enjoy it but Nachi Cocom also gets good reviews. If anyone has been to both or has info about both please let me know to help me decide. There will be 9 of us with ages ranging from 15 months to 70. My 6 year old son loves to play on the beach and go into the ocean (not too deep). I have heard some things that Playa Uvas has a very rocky beach and am concerned that my son will not be able to play in the sand and just run into the ocean to play. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

I really can't decide which place to go to when we are in Cozmel in April. I know on this thread that Playa Uvas gets great reviews and I think we would really enjoy it but Nachi Cocom also gets good reviews. If anyone has been to both or has info about both please let me know to help me decide. There will be 9 of us with ages ranging from 15 months to 70. My 6 year old son loves to play on the beach and go into the ocean (not too deep). I have heard some things that Playa Uvas has a very rocky beach and am concerned that my son will not be able to play in the sand and just run into the ocean to play. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

I've not been to Nachi, but I will agree that the beach at Playa Uvas doesn't sound like the best for your son. It was quite precarious getting into the water at Playa Uvas so I only got into the water twice. With water shoes it wouldn't be too bad, but still not as nice as a smooth beach.

As much as I HATE to say this, I was a bit disappointed in Uvas a few weeks ago. Not what we experienced there a few years ago and we had convinced a group of friends to book with us - I kept telling them how wonderful it was.

Carmen gave us a warm welcome as always but seems like things have gotten a bit rundown. No more beach beds, we were never offered an umbrella, no drink service on the beach, and most of the beach chairs were broken and dirty.:( The restrooms were also in pretty bad shape with no toilet paper. It did end up raining a little while after we arrived so we sat up at the tables under cover after that so I guess the beach part wasn't a big deal, but before the rain started it would have been nice not to have to walk to the bar for drinks or to have the offer of an umbrella. Our waiter really never offered to refill drinks or ask if we wanted anything else - we always had to flag him down even if he was just standing nearby. It wasn't terribly busy that day so not sure what was up. Definitely not what we experienced there a few years ago with stellar service and top notch facilities.

The power and water went out at one point which certainly isn't their fault, but I did have to wonder how the waiters and chef were washing their hands with no water available yet they were still serving lunch. Creeped me out a little bit. Oh well, we still had a great time anyway - just a bit disappointed that the condition seemed so rundown compared to a few years ago and that the service seemed more like we were a bother instead of a guest like we felt like last time.

Thanks to you both for the info. Maybe I will start researching Nachi Coccom again as the beach sounds like it will be better and I think they have a bigger pool. I think it might be a little bit more money but it sounds like it might be better for us. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

We were at Playa Uvas in March and November of last year and again last month...we obviously love it. It's not fancy, but very relaxing...and the snorkeling is fantastic. I've attached a few of the pictures we took while snorkeling. We really like Reyes, the snorkeling guide!

For the price, you really can't beat it!

1189671039_232323232fp7333nu5755833253WSNRCG337279-32344nu0mrj.jpg.84251215f042c4c0df50a962f4428d1b.jpg

537371367_232323232fp7333nu5755833253WSNRCG33727998344nu0mrj.jpg.5702d345cacf4155ffbd88416691bf8a.jpg

697499811_232323232fp73395nu5755833253WSNRCG337279652344nu0mrj.jpg.f1b1c5797381fc3f7d7a69a107dc0a91.jpg

1880207943_232323232fp733-5nu5755833253WSNRCG3372796594344nu0mrj.jpg.59cb18bf8104e2c4bebb8efb10d49fb4.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg.fae5865e802c19aff61719920ce6eb2c.jpg

• 1 month later...

We were at Nachi Cocom a year and a half ago (October) - this was when Playa Uvas was trying to work out it's standings with the reef protection marine group and had to close temporarily.

While Nachi Cocom had a nicer sand beach, we felt that we got better service at Playa Uvas. Uvas seemed to have a much more family feeling.

The rocky beach at Uvas isn't an issue with water shoes - in fact, it is more interesting for snorkeling and shell hunting.

We definitely prefer Playa Uvas!

Our family had another wonderful day at Playa Uvas as our cruise stopped in Cozumel on March 16. We had a group of 12 - some kids, some teens, and some adults. We got a great group rate for the beach, snorkeling, lunch, and open bar.

The weather gave us a little fit, but we ate lunch during that time. Everyone treated us like family. The size is very intimate - very peaceful. The food was wonderful and the service we got was great.

Our kids all spoke about wanting to return soon.

Special thanks to Carmen, Cesar, Alex, and Reyes as well as the friendly bartenders! :)

I just finished a recent cruise and one of my shore stops was cozumel mexico. It was amazing. I loved the tours that I was fortunate to have time to see some of the Mayan ruins. At least i think they said they were mayan. either way I saw some amazing sights. I booked my tour through I think it was world tours or wild tours I still cant decipher the accent that good but the guy I spoke to was Named Sam. He spoke perfect English and was a very energetic person. Good job with the assist there sir.

I am going to try to book another trip with your company soon. I was also fortunate enough to ride a dune buggy from Baja buggies that was a blast. And thats what I was looking for. I will most definitely be back. Once again thank you for the excellent service. I wish my last agent was as good as you and I hope to actually be able to meet you. Thank you for helping with a wonderful shore visit.

• 1 month later...

My GF and I visited Playa Uvas a week ago at our stop in Cozumel. Was the highlight of our entire cruise. we loved the small, intimate feeling and atmosphere of the place. and even though it's smaller, there are so many things to do. pool, hammocks, snorkeling, kayaking, to just laying on the beach soaking up the rays with a nice cold drink within reach. we loved how the beach was a little rocky and there is a pathway they have where you can safely walk right out into the ocean. we did the guided tour with Daniel and it was just her and I so he took us out for a good while. we saw so many different types of sea life thanks to Daniel being our spotter. our Waiter Alexander was always there with a drink of our choice and then a few more drinks he thought we would enjoy, which we did. Carmen was the sweetest thing on the island... she made us feel like the entire place was ours. Thanks again to all of the good people at Playa Uvas, we'll definately be back

• 2 weeks later...

We were just at Playa Uvas this last week (May 4, 2011). Upon arrival, we met Carmen. She was totally prepared for our arrival and had us signed in very quickly. We then met Caesar . He emphasized that we were on vacation and they would take care of all our needs.

Then to the beach area. Here came the huge concern for me. Having been to Paradise Beach a couple times before, I was accustomed to perfectly aligned spotless beach chairs and umbrellas and tables all set up for us. That is not what we found here. The lounges and umbrellas had all seen their better days. They were mismatched, saggy and dingy. I thought, uh-oh, what did I get us into?

That was the last concern I had for the rest of the day. What a great place to spend the day on Cozumel. The service was second to none. We never had to try to find Alex, our waiter. He was always available, but never 'lurking' and always made sure our drinks were fresh and to our liking.

We arrived early in the day and I happened to look over the food prep counter and saw the meat and veggies were as fresh as I could get anywhere in my own home town and were prepared to perfection.

If you want a pristine area with spotless chairs, tables and lots of toys, this place is not for you. If you want a quiet, intimate and relaxing place to spend your day with few if any children and real people trying to make your day special, this is it. Next time we are in Cozumel, this will be our destination.

Vance

Edited by vancelot

I did see their menu on website:

http://www.playauvas.com/uvasalacartemenu.pdf

After reading the last 10 pages here still unclear about a few things.

The difference between open bar and bar plus lunch is $19. What else is included other than $9-11 entree? We are not big drinkers so open bar does not appeal. What does the A1 Free Entrance & Free Snorkel Tour $8 choice include besides snorkel? Are there any links to drinks menu? The question has been asked before, but I did not see any answers. Finally, I did not read any comments on tips or expected tips for snorkel guides or others. Any advice?

Thanks

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi! Considering this tour in febuary. A few questions. Can you keep the snorkel equipment after the 30 minutes. Did anyone get sick from the food? I understand that it is prop ably fine but I have a delicate stomach. TIA

We want to know the same thing. Dont eat much ashore so the "free" package would suit us. We'll drink more than $8 worth but not by much so the next package wont work. The guided snorkel tour looks good (saw them a few years back and its a good intro to snorkelling). Would like to keep the gear to go back in later, can you do that?

Thanks,

Tony

My boyfriend and I visited Playa Uvas last year and Loved it! This year I'm cruising with girlfriends but it looks like the packages have changed since our last visit.

My main worry is that it looks to be changing to grab more people. Is it still nice and quiet and easy to find a (working) lounge chair? How much are the drinks without the open bar pass? I can't snorkel due to glasses and won't drink too much... They'll probably be going open bar though. I

Disneykins, when we went last year my boyfriend was able to keep the gear all day, but that may have changed.

Edited by Lixer

• 3 weeks later...

Sailing in 25 days and would love to know if anyone has been to Playa Uvas recently and can give an update. The other place we're considering is the Money Bar.

I have a teen who's into snorkeling, and I'd like to do some snorkeling and chillax on the beach.

Also, we don't arrive til 1pm (noon local time) so curious if that's an issue at either place, in terms of all the gear, chairs, lockers, etc. being taken by those arriving earlier.

Thanks!

Great value, pretty little place and they treated us awesome! We are going back there again next week after trying Money Bar last January and Nachi Cocom in August. We weren't able to snorkel at Money Bar last January because it was too chilly, but the place was nice enough, but so small and RIGHT ON THE STREET and SO CLOSE to the ship. It was a completely different atmosphere than Playa Uvas and Nachi. It may have AWESOME snorkeling....I just didn't get to experience it. We sat on some chairs, had some food that wasn't particularly memorable and just tried to stay warm enough. :(

My two cents.....

• 1 month later...

Several years ago we had a lovely day at Playa Uvas. One of the best things was a yound lady selling glass necklaces. We bought lots, and have gotten so many compliments, my daughter would like another dozen or so. Anyone know if she is still there?