colon coast to coast train

Hey,

Been told this is the thing to do in Colon Panama, but beware thats it's pricey. No one ever gives the actual price. Also is it open air, enclosed with or without a/c. Anyone shed some light on this excursion. Thanks

Hey,

Been told this is the thing to do in Colon Panama, but beware thats it's pricey. No one ever gives the actual price. Also is it open air, enclosed with or without a/c. Anyone shed some light on this excursion. Thanks

It is $138 pp including a light snack for the non dome car and I believe $158 for the dome car - also includes a bus tour. it is a about an hour train ride each way - fully enclosed and Airconditioned with a guide. BOOK THIS BEFORE YOU BOARD IF YOU CAN - it sells out quickly. We took it and would have done the dome car but fuggedabout it - we were lucky to get the regular train - gorgeous leather banquettes

My wife is from Panama and I met her there in the early 80's. We would take the train from Pamana City to Colon and back. I think it cost about 2 dollars one way and for another couple of bucks you could get in an air conditioned coach. The train was old and had a lot of character, not the one they are using today. The train trip was one of my favorite things to do when in Panama back then.

A couple of years ago on a Princess cruuise to the canal, when docked in Colon, we took a local bus from Colon to Panama City and back to visit relatives. The round trip cost was about 7 dollars.

We took the domed train and it was fantastic. Definately worth the extra 20 bucks per person for the domed car.

As mentioned, book early. We booked on line several months before the cruise. When we got on the ship we were walking by the excursions desk and I saw a list of excursions. While there were plenty of seats available for the regular cars, the domed car was sold out.

The car is elevated and air conditioned. The view spectacular.

Charlie

You may want to bring some pre-packaged snacks or eat heartily before you go. Cruise mates took this trip last April and said the food (meat sandwich, fruit, etc...) had not been refridgerated. They didn't partake, since it had been in the heat for several hours. Just a note to anyone particular about food safety!

Archived