Trip Insurance

cdillon23

I have a couple questions about trip insurance. First, what kind of coverage do I need to look for? Is there insurance for both flight and cruises and also what should I be looking at paying. And last, what are some good reputable companies.

I am making a big investment in this trip and I want to be covered incase something happens! Thanks!

I've never bothered with insurance because you have to foot the bill, then when you get home pray they reimburse you, so just didn't think it was worth it. But with my latest cruise, as you said, costing so much more and really having a lot more money invested, I did decide this time just to go with the insurance offered by Celebrity. Don't know if I got a good deal or not, and didn't want the hassel of finding out. I paid $129 per person. It reads like it's a pretty good policy. Covers airfare, cruise, illness, baggage, etc. But whatever you decided to do, do it as quickly as possible because sometimes the insurance companies have a time limit. That's another reason I went with Celebrity so I knew I was covered from the time I booked the cruise. Good Luck:p

I have a couple questions about trip insurance. First, what kind of coverage do I need to look for? Is there insurance for both flight and cruises and also what should I be looking at paying. And last, what are some good reputable companies.

I am making a big investment in this trip and I want to be covered incase something happens! Thanks!

there is a great site to compare insurance - insuremytrip.com.

We've chosen insurance after going on the site several times.

One of the things I look for is coverage of pre-existing conditions. Also, what does the insurance company consider to be travel companions as we often cruise with friends as well as relatives and would want to cancel if something happened to our friends.

Check out the medical coverage part if that is what interests you.

The companies are rated and I can vouch for the great rating of Travelex. We needed to file a claim recently and their service was excellent and payment prompt.

Price of coverage depends on many things - most include your plane as well as your cruise - provided you tell them the full amount, including pre-existing conditions, extra medical coverage, your age.

Just purchased Travelex trip insurance through "insuremytrip.com". Is $74 less than purchasing through Princess and has more coverage. Travelex is also rated a A+ so am feeling very secure. Wouldn't cruise without trip insurance. Too many things could happen.

Coverage for pre-existing questions is important to us as well. Quoting from insuremytrip.com -

If You have purchased a program where pre-existing conditions are waived, the Company covers these pre-existing conditions provided:

1. The protection plan was purchased within twenty-one (21) calendar days of the initial Covered Trip payment;

When they say "initial Covered payment, are they referring to the date an initial deposit that was put down? Specifically, I recently put down a deposit for a trip in December of 2007. Do I have 21 days from the date of that deposit to have pre existing conditions covered?

Thanks for your help.

Hal

The advice you received to go to insuremytrip.com is a good one. It will provide you with a nice list of choices based on the information you provide.

What you insure is up to you. You can insure your airline costs and cruise costs or just one or just a portion of one.

In addition to insuring the cost of your trip and some of the other benefits that come with most insurance such as baggage damage/loss, one of the key benefits of the insurance that you choose may be in the health portion. For example, if while you are on the cruise they need to take you off the ship by helicopter due to some medical emergency many of the plans will cover that cost up to a certain pre-determined level. Also, if you become ill on your trip depending on which insurance company you choose it can become for the trip your primary health provider for claims or in other cases it becomes your secondary health provider where you first file the claim with your regularal health insurance carrier. In addition, most plans come with trip cancellation insurance.

Anyway, start with the site where you provide some information and based on your answers it lists insurance companies and plans which may be of interest. You can then use the site to easily compare the plans and then read carefully what the plan does and doesn't cover.

Keith

The advice you received to go to insuremytrip.com is a good one. It will provide you with a nice list of choices based on the information you provide.

What you insure is up to you. You can insure your airline costs and cruise costs or just one or just a portion of one.

Keith

In addition to insuring the cost of your trip and some of the other benefits that come with most insurance such as baggage damage/loss, one of the key benefits of the insurance that you choose may be in the health portion. For example, if while you are on the cruise they need to take you off the ship by helicopter due to some medical emergency many of the plans will cover that cost up to a certain pre-determined level. Also, if you become ill on your trip depending on which insurance company you choose it can become for the trip your primary health provider for claims or in other cases it becomes your secondary health provider where you first file the claim with your regularal health insurance carrier. In addition, most plans come with trip cancellation insurance.

Anyway, start with the site where you provide some information and based on your answers it lists insurance companies and plans which may be of interest. You can then use the site to easily compare the plans and then read carefully what the plan does and doesn't cover.

I just did a comparison on insuremytrip and the attached link site:

http://www.1travelinsurance.com/products_cruise.asp

Prices as well as coverages can vary a lot. Age and total trip cost including airline and pre-or post cruise hotel, plus where you live also figure into the comparison. I prefer to have Medical coverage that is Primary as secondary coverage you have to file a claim with your medical insurance company first. Way to much paper work! Be sure to know what you are paying for. Travelex has been a very good carrier for us.

Looked into iTI coverage which someone mentioned their TA sold to them at a much lower price. Well, the coverage also is much lower.

Bon Voyage

I booked my first cruise during peak hurricane season (sept. 3 - 10). Is this a time when I should not skimp on on insurance (ie, cover both air and cruise)? What happens if you buy less coverage than total cost and only one thing goes wrong (say, cruise goes off fine, but flights at end are messed up)? Will the insurance then ask the various prices and compare that to the total amount that was purchases for? The only reason I ask is that insurance is ~$80 for total coverage or ~50 if I trim a little off of the airfare.

The best advise I can give is to be sure the travel insurance is in "first position" so that you don't have to file with your medical or homeowners insurance if there is a claim. Besides the extra paperwork and hassle, you wouldn't want your homeowners rates to go us due to claims.

We always insure through insuremytrip.com primarily to cover the cost of a medivac flight or any medical needs. On our very first cruise we watched a child be transported by helicopter after falling off of a picnic table on Disney's island Castaway Cay. It was a frightening thing to see and hearing the cost of the chopper flight was quite a shock. The cost of insurance is nothing by comparison.

Cheryl

Archived