what is a bedding upgrade?

Hi, Thought I was a savy cruiser but I just realized that I don't know what the bedding upgrade means. I think that all RCI ships will get one. And I have heard that HAL ships have them.

Is it the mattress? The mattress pad, i.e. egg crates? The sheets?

All info appreciated.

Press release

Royal Caribbean International Announces Fleet-Wide Revamp Of Bedding Program

Miami - March 14, 2006 - Sleeping on a cruise ship never felt so good! Guests cruising with Royal Caribbean International will soon experience the ultimate in relaxation and rejuvenation with the introduction of a new fleet-wide bedding program. The program, designed to enhance the sleep experience, includes an extreme makeover from bed frames to covers and includes:

• New bed frames designed to prevent sagging;
  • Nine-inch-thick spring mattresses with separate two-inch-thick micro-fiber pillow tops;
  • 220-thread-count long-staple cotton-blend sheets;
  • Two micro-fiber pillows, plus one decorative pillow;
  • Duvet with cotton-blend covers;
  • Bed skirts; and
  • Colored bed scarves placed at the end of the beds to protect the duvet.

"Though we think bedtime is the last thing on anyone's mind while on a Royal Caribbean cruise, we do realize that sleeping well is essential to our guest's vacation experience," said Adam Goldstein, president. "As with other Royal Caribbean enhancements, our new bedding program will provide our guests with a compelling stateroom experience."

The cruise line also has created a solution to the dreaded gap that invariably forms when two twin beds are pushed together to form one larger, queen-size bed. Custom-designed pillow tops are doubled over when placed atop twin beds, but are unfolded and laid on top of one another and the mattresses to create a queen-size, gap-free mattress.

The new bedding program will make its debut in May on Royal Caribbean's newest ship, Freedom of the Seas, and will be rolled out to the rest of the fleet by May 2007.

Royal Caribbean International is a global cruise vacation company with 19 ships in service and two under construction, including Freedom of the Seas. The company also offers unique cruisetour vacations in Alaska, Canada and Europe.

I've never had trouble with the "gap" between mattresses, but better mattresses all around can't come to soon! Our bed (Brilliance, April 06) looked like a bowl! Luckily, it didn't feel as bad as it looked, but there was definitely room for improvement! The actual bedding (sheets, pillows, blanket) were fine, but the spread had seen better days!

We experienced the new bedding on the Freedom last weekend and it is a fabulous improvement in both comfort and appearance. Hope that it will have been added to the Jewel by next October, but at least we have our October Freedom cruise to enjoy this new amenity.:)

I'm a Royal Caribbean fan in almost every way, but their bedding upgrade can't come fast enough for me. When we cruised on HAL's Zuiderdam last year, their beds were heavenly, like a European hotel. I do sleep well on Royal Caribbean's beds, in spite of the sag in the middle and the bunkbed mattress, but it always amazes me I do.

Boy, this falls into the category of you can't please all the people all the time - Has anyone heard of the new bedding being too soft?

The new sheets sound very nice. But DH can't abide a pillow top mattress just too soft. He could never sleep on the egg crates. I can sleep anywhere, anytime. Is there a sleepolympics? I'd take the gold, HA!

Anyone in the same boat? What was your experience?

Thanks.

Hi, Thought I was a savy cruiser but I just realized that I don't know what the bedding upgrade means. I think that all RCI ships will get one. And I have heard that HAL ships have them.

Is it the mattress? The mattress pad, i.e. egg crates? The sheets?

All info appreciated.

They put on clean sheets? ;-)

We are sailing on the Serenade in October for the 11 day Hawaii cruise and I would love it if they had the new bedding on by then, but with my luck it will happen the week after we get back....

Chanda :rolleyes:

We are sailing on the Serenade in October for the 11 day Hawaii cruise and I would love it if they had the new bedding on by then, but with my luck it will happen the week after we get back....

Chanda :rolleyes:

No, that won't happen. I'll be on her for the Mexican Riviera cruise leaving San Diego on Oct 21st.

Boy, this falls into the category of you can't please all the people all the time - Has anyone heard of the new bedding being too soft?

The new sheets sound very nice. But DH can't abide a pillow top mattress just too soft. He could never sleep on the egg crates. I can sleep anywhere, anytime. Is there a sleepolympics? I'd take the gold, HA!

Anyone in the same boat? What was your experience?

Thanks.

Yup!

DH has chronic back problems (bone spurs all over his poor big skeleton; back, elbows, wrists, heels, knees, you name it), and is seriously picky about his bedding. We have his 'n hers adjustable beds that make into a king size, so he can get his juuuuuust right and comfy at night. I had to beg him to try an eggcrate, and he will only use it if I turn the SMOOTH side (the non-eggcratey side) up, so he's sleeping on a solid surface. Works great for him.

I have posted plenty about our saga to get him comfy on board ship, and he will be estactic about the new bedding on RCCL's ships. However, the best he has is a pool lounger (yes, you read correctly) put in the cabin with an eggcrate over it and sheet over that. Sleeps like a baby with it, and bless our cabin steward on the Brilliance last October!!

So, I'll compare notes with any finicky sleeper....:D :D

I, on the other hand, am doing the "new bedding dance" at the hope that the Monarch will have it by this October.

Archived