Special Occassion Question

storelady

I noticed on the Princess Web Site that in the personalizer they ask your wedding date. DH and I will be celebrating our 25th on our Grand cruise in December. Does Princess take note of your wedding date and do anything special for you?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary. We celebrated ours on the Island Princess last year. I can only speak to our experience. We did mark on our personalizer that we were celebrating an anniversary. Our room steward put up signs and made a heart shape out of towels and leis we had in our room. We had a special cake in the dining room and the dining staff sang to us. Since we were in personal choice dining room we did have to alert the maitre 'd about which night we wanted to celebrate.

We just celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary while on the Coral and even though I also reported it in the personalizer nothing was done so my DH went to the purser's desk and told them and the room steward did put up ballons. We have also found that it is very hit and miss. Another couple on our cruise never did get ballons. So it is very much hit and miss as to Princess reading the personalizer. We also got a cake at dinner.

Marilyn

On the Sapphire last year I had a cake for my birthday delivered to my table. (and siging by the waiters of course) I did not notify anyone that it was my birthday, but had previously put the date on the cruise personalizer. No sign or ballons on my door

On our Coral Princess cruise several years ago, my sister and BIL were celebrating their 40th anniversary. We let our maitre D' know and on the day we were celebrating, our waiter dressed up the table with ribbons and balloons and put our gift to them (a formal portrait of us all in a lovely frame) on the table so that when we all arrived at dinner, it was dressed up and festive.

I think there's more celebration if you are dining traditional than Anytime but then my experience with birthdays and anniversaries has all been with traditional dining. I just don't remember any singing or special things done at tables when I've done Anytime.

If it is important to you let your room steward and dining staff know.

We have been told that the balloons on the door and sign are up to the room steward - most do but some do not.

With anytime dining if you let the waiter know when you sit down for dinner that it is your anniversary they will bring a small cake, card, and sing to you. Apparently they just take the cakes out of the freezer and have the cards on hand.

With traditional dining, if they remember and get the day correct, you will get a small cake, card, and a song. On the Tahitian Princess they brought a cake, etc. twice. When we told them we'd already had one several nights previously (neither were served on our anniversary) they said "well here's another".

The several times we have received a cake it has always been served after the ordered dessert has been served and not instead of. If you could count on the small cake you would not want to order the dessert.

I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and was told that we would get a certificate in our room for a cake and we could either give it to our steward and ask to have it delivered to our room or give it to our waiter to have it in the dining room with the singing. My DH is very shy and I think the singing would embarrass him, so I'll opt to have our anniversary cake delivered to our room.

On the personalizer, there was a place that asked what our wedding date was, but there was also a place that asked if we would be celebrating a special event--I filled out both placed.

Cheers!

Jayne

I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and was told that we would get a certificate in our room for a cake and we could either give it to our steward and ask to have it delivered to our room or give it to our waiter to have it in the dining room with the singing. My DH is very shy and I think the singing would embarrass him, so I'll opt to have our anniversary cake delivered to our room.

Hi Jayne,

We have celebrated five anniversaries and several birthdays on Princess. We have not ever received a certificate in our cabin for a cake. We have had balloons on the door, along with a sign, and on one anniversary, had a wonderful steward who also decorated the inside of our cabin, had balloons all over the ceiling and wrote us a nice note on the mirror. Last year, on the Island, for our 40th, our cabin steward had balloons on the door, a towel shaped heart made out of two swans, chocolates, pretzels and peanuts. We also had a lovely handwritten note with each of these items, and it made our day really special. On the other hand, our day was totally ignored on one cruise, by the steward, but we have always received a little cake in the dining room. On the Island, we were eating in the Bayou on our Anniversary, and someone had tracked us down, and we received a cake in there. On no occasion did we remind, or tell, anyone on the ship, so Princess must do a good job of notifying the ship, and then, it's up to whoever takes care of that stuff on the ship. I think they are wonderful, but I don't know that you can "order" your special event cake to be delivered to your cabin. You can take it to your cabin from the dining room.......they will even provide plates, forks and napkins.

Hope you have a great cruise! And...........Congratulations!

25 years together - how beautiful!

Congratulations to you both :)

We've also filled out the personaliser for our upcoming cruise with details of our honeymoon, my DH2B's 31st birthday and then my 30th birthday the day after his.

Princess will prolly get sick of putting balloons on our door! :p

Having others help celebrate your special occassions whilst you're away from home is so nice - especially when you're not with your family.

However, we're not so fussed if Princess note our celebrations or not - we're going to be cruising! :D

Kitty

Thanks for the heads up. Odd that others have told me we'd have a certificate. When they brought you an anniversary cake in the dining room, did they sing to you? That's really what I want to avoid...

Thanks!

Jayne

Hi Jayne,

We have celebrated five anniversaries and several birthdays on Princess. We have not ever received a certificate in our cabin for a cake. We have had balloons on the door, along with a sign, and on one anniversary, had a wonderful steward who also decorated the inside of our cabin, had balloons all over the ceiling and wrote us a nice note on the mirror. Last year, on the Island, for our 40th, our cabin steward had balloons on the door, a towel shaped heart made out of two swans, chocolates, pretzels and peanuts. We also had a lovely handwritten note with each of these items, and it made our day really special. On the other hand, our day was totally ignored on one cruise, by the steward, but we have always received a little cake in the dining room. On the Island, we were eating in the Bayou on our Anniversary, and someone had tracked us down, and we received a cake in there. On no occasion did we remind, or tell, anyone on the ship, so Princess must do a good job of notifying the ship, and then, it's up to whoever takes care of that stuff on the ship. I think they are wonderful, but I don't know that you can "order" your special event cake to be delivered to your cabin. You can take it to your cabin from the dining room.......they will even provide plates, forks and napkins.

Hope you have a great cruise! And...........Congratulations!

We've never had any singing, Jayne, thank heavens!!!!

You probably WOULD have singing if you were traveling with your own chorus. :) We have heard singing from tables that had groups of family or friends, but I think that was the friends/relatives singing, and not the waiters.

You probably WOULD have singing if you were traveling with your own chorus. :) We have heard singing from tables that had groups of family or friends, but I think that was the friends/relatives singing, and not the waiters.

Oh, good! When I've asked these questions before, people have said the waiters sing to them and that's why they suggested I give the certificate to our room steward and have the cake in the room. I guess we'll just wing it and see what happens!

Thanks for your help

Thank you, thank you, everyone for your input and your good wishes. That's what makes this board so great - friendly people like yourselves.

I guess we will just wait and see what happens on the cruise. It isn't really a big deal if they don't do anything. As one other poster said, we'll be cruising and that's the most important thing:) We will be going on the tour of the Mayan Ruins with Ivan and David that day and will probably be pooped out by dinner time anyway.

Maybe they do different "stuff" on different ships. We celebrated on the Regal, the old Crown, The Star, and the Island. Each ship handled it differently. We haven't been on the Caribbean Princess........hope you'll tell us about it when you return.

Bon Voyage!

:) We will be going on the tour of the Mayan Ruins with Ivan and David that day and will probably be pooped out by dinner time anyway.

We are signed up with Ivan & David for the same day so we will be touring with you. That's also my bday. Still unable to say for what year :eek: . My husband plans to remind the room steward & the dining staff.

We are signed up with Ivan & David for the same day so we will be touring with you. That's also my bday. Still unable to say for what year :eek: . My husband plans to remind the room steward & the dining staff.

We will look forward to meeting you and perhaps we can all have a toddy together to celebrate our two special days.

Darcy the Storelady

Storelady, Congrats on your upcoming 25th Anniversary. We were on the Dawn Princess this past April to celebrate our 30th Anniversary and a fellow cruiser we met on a previous cruise and kept in touch with via email had just had her birthday a few days before the cruise. Our anniversary date was recorded in our personalizer. I called Princess a few days before the cruise to check if Marilyn had indicated a date to celebrate her birthday while on the cruise ( apparently you can do this ) and was told no so when I requested that balloons be put on her door to surprise her on embarkment day, I was told the ship would be notified. The balloons were not on her door after embarkment but later that evening, they were put up. Either her room steward was too busy during the day or he just got the info in the evening. I had brought her a bottle of champagne for her birthday and on the day of our anniversary she brought the bottle to our table (Anytime Dining) and asked for it to be chilled so we could celebrate both her birthday and our anniversary. After dinner, the waiter brought out a little birthday cake (shaped like a cylinder) with a candle and they sang Happy Birthday to her and then brought out an anniversary cake and sang Happy Anniversary to us. I think they only knew because she brought the champagne in with her and explained what it was for.(They did charge for corking and I paid for it as the bottle was my present to her.)

The cakes were delicious!

Our room steward did not put up balloons for us initially but we received a beautiful floral arrangement from BIL & SIL who were on the cruise with us and by the evening we had balloons beside our door. I think we received both the cakes & singing and balloons by inference ( the champagne and floral arrangements).

On our cruise last year on the Diamond, we did not have to tell anyone on the ship (it was in our personalizer) that it was DH's birthday. We woke up and balloons were hanging over our doorway with a Happy Birthday sign on the door. This was quite a surprise for DH as it was our 1st Princess cruise and did not know what to expect.. No cake or singing in the dining room which was what we prefer.

Just goes to show how different crew do things differently. All of the cakes on Princess ships have been presented with a group of waiters singing. Have seen many cakes served at tables near by and they all were served with singing by a group of waiters.

Just goes to show how different crew do things differently. All of the cakes on Princess ships have been presented with a group of waiters singing. Have seen many cakes served at tables near by and they all were served with singing by a group of waiters.

Yikes! Really don't want the singing! I'm assuming I would ask the maitre'd about that? I'd love to have the cake to add to our anniversary celebration but really don't want to have the attention the singing would draw.

Thanks!

Jayne

We were on the Grand Princess in February and in the Michelangelo Dining Room (Anytime Dining) - the waiters were singing almost every night!! My DH and I were not celebrating any special occastions, but there always seemed to be a birthday or anniversary celebration in the dining room and the waiters seemed to catch them all! It was great!

Last year I took my grandson on the Coral Princess through the Panama Canal (FLL to S.F.) he celebrated his 18th birthday on the ship. One of our table mates told the Maitre 'd and he announced it to the whole dining room. They decorated our door, brought him at cake and sang to him. It was really special.:) A lot of people stopped by to wish him a happy birthday.

Delores

Archived