Debating...advice anyone????

Can anyone compare the Radiance Class to the Voyager Class for me. We took our first cruise on the Explorer last March and loved (:D ) it. We are thinking of another for Spring Break in 07 -- this time taking our niece and son with us since she doesn't want to go on her Senior Trip -- long story but suffice it to say that it's not really well supervised and she thinks the kids will get out of hand! (she's very mature).

Anyway, our son (age 8) loves hanging out with our niece and we want this to be a special trip for her (and us). We enjoyed the many amenities on the Explorer (Ice Skating show, Johnny Rockets), but we like to try different things.

So...I'm asking for advice.

Thanks!

Karen

A Radiance class ship is my favourite! Although I enjoy the ice show and skating, the promenade, the pub, the awsome sandwich shop in the promenade and the sheer size of a voyager class ship...I still love the Radiance class. A Radiance ship has none of the above but it does have an enclosed solarium, the champagne bar is great because of all the glass. It has a thermal suite which is great especially in Alaska. You can eat outside in Windjammer which is a major plus! And the cuban sandwiches at the Seaview are to die for...believe me I ate a lot of them LOL!

You will have a great time on either of these classes of ships.

Why not give it a shot? The Radiance is a gorgeous ship! Although it's smaller and does not have an ice rink nor Johnny Rockets there's no shortage of things to do. There are 2 very cool self-leveling pool tables (you've got to see it to believe it), and as Magicat mentioned, you can eat outside in the Windjammer.

Also, because there are fewer passengers, it seemed to me that it was easier to get to know the crew and CD staff. I think your niece and son will have a great time - as will you!

Enjoy!!

They are both worth sailing!!! Radiance class seems to be a bit more "upscale" in decoration, but Voyager class is pretty damn impressive, too! I've found the crew on both classes to be top-notch! I have to say, I thought the food was better on Explorer than on Brilliance. Better presentation and selection. I don't think you can go wrong with either ship!

I agree that both classes of ship are worthwhile. The Explorer class may offer somehwat more to do, but we did a ten day cruise on Brilliance and had more than enough to keep us occupied the whole time. Actually the itinerary of the cruise might be your first consideration rather than the ship size.

I love Mariner of the Seas, but Jewel of the Seas and her sister ship Brilliance are very comfortable. The smaller size makes this class of ships a little less tiring especially if your cabin is all the way aft or all the way forward.

Having not sailed a Radiance class ship my opinion may not mean much. I was on the Voyager in 2004. I found that with a PAX capacity of 3800 was too much for me. It felt over crowded during meal times and getting off at ports. I will say that the Voyager class ships are not like any others I have sailed. They are truly like floating cities. However I did not feel like I was on a ship, and I prefer to the smaller ships as they feel more like a true cruise ship.

Jarrad

We've been on the Radiance class ships 3 times and once on Voyager class (the Mariner). The Radiance class ships seem just perfect to us--large enough to have lots of things to do, beautiful ship, great crew, etc. A truly wonderful cruise experience all three times. Thought the Mariner was a bit too large with more people and lines to have to deal with. We did enjoy it but picking one, we'd definitely go for the Radiance class.

Linda

Have been on Brilliance, Radiance, AOS and Mariner. While I love the Radiance class ships, if I were traveling with children I would opt for the Vog. class ships. More things to do for everyone. The downside? Lots and lots of people and the ship is not as "open" (lots of glass on Radiance class).

Mark

I would have to ditto what mdmourges said above. I prefer the Radiance class and there is plenty to do onboard, but I think with young people, the Voyager class does offer a few more options. Don't forget to consider price and itinerary when making your decision because your son and neice will have a great time on either ship. Have fun planning!!

Have been on Brilliance, Radiance, AOS and Mariner. While I love the Radiance class ships, if I were traveling with children I would opt for the Vog. class ships. More things to do for everyone. The downside? Lots and lots of people and the ship is not as "open" (lots of glass on Radiance class).

Mark

My thoughts, exactly. The Radiance class ships are beautiful, but with a mix of children and teens, I would definitely go for the Voyager. More activities, less attractive. I've been on Explorer, Splendour, Brilliance, Grandeur, Vision, and Enchantment (I forget the "classes"), and I think the Voyager would be best for your group, OP.

Archived