QM2 Change from RED HOOK TO BAYONNE

d5480

We are booked on the transatlantic from Southampton to New York

Sept 24th arroveomg Sept 30th/ This websote os the forstnmews we have heard of this change. We are not please about it. We have a ntoel nooked in Manhatten. I assume the cab ride there will be very highly priced. DOes anyone know what the fare would be?

Thanks for any info you can provide. We live in Canada and have no concept of the fare but assume thedistance is lengthly.

Brooklyn is around $30.00 Bayonne will be twice that amount. Its also shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour to Brooklyn and 40 minutes to Bayonne.

I'm confused :confused:

TA called Cunard on Friday and told me that the Oct 12 cruise will be leaving from Red Hook. Others are saying the Sept 30 cruise is roundtrip Bayonne, NJ. How can I find out for sure about the Oct 12 cruise. Am purchasing own air from So Cal and would like to know which port ship will be leaving from.

WE were in touch with our Travel Agent yesterday. She has confirmed the change of port to Bayonne for the Sept 24th westward crossing. She also confirmed the shuttle buses and has booked us on one of them. They make

three stops. One is at Penn Central, Grand central station and we can't remember the other one. The fare is $19.00 per person.

I've done both Bayonne and Red Hook.. I'll take Red Hook, thanks. Never thought I'd say that, until I experienced it this weekend on the Crown Princess.

As a matter of fact, I'll take Red Hook overthe westside piers!!

The 9/30 sailing is rt Bayonne.

Interesting to hear this, and somewhat unexpected. I'll be sailing on CROWN PRINCESS on 9/30 from Red Hook. That will complete my tour of NY/NJ's three cruise ship pier facilities. ;)

As far as location nothing can top the westside piers. Very convenient to all Manhattan has to offer. Cape Liberty in Bayonne was a very good experience for me. I embarked VOYAGER OF THE SEAS there last year and it went without a hitch. If Red Hook can match that experience then I will be impressed.

Ernie

That will complete my tour of NY/NJ's three cruise ship pier facilities. ;)

I'll be ahead of you, sailing from Bayonne next week will complete mine ;) !

But I've not actually sailed from Red Hook - you'll have one over me in that respect :) .

(And you get special "out of town bonus points"!)

As far as location nothing can top the westside piers. Very convenient to all Manhattan has to offer.

And as far as view, Red Hook is spectacular.

Bayonne has... Well, I don't know, I guess I'll see a week from today!

We've done all three. IMO, Red Hook is the best. We followed the directions on www.nycruiseterminal.com and they were perfect! Parking at Red Hook was plentiful and really close to the terminal. All in all, a pleasure. Parking was $164 for a nine day cruise.

Embarkation & debarkation went very smoothly. The terminal is fine.

We found embarkation & debarkation much harder in Bayonne. It's also further from our house. Parking is only $12 a day.

Manhattan means having to deal with N.Y. traffic, parades, & so many other ships in port. It would be $180.

The view from Red Hook is beautiful. We were Starboard on the Crown Princess and had a great view of the Statue of Liberty going AND returning.

IMO, LaGuardia is the closest, but JFK is fine if the flights are better for you. Newark would be my last choice, for sure.

that is nice to hear! Parking in Bayonne has increased to $15.00 per day(both at Manhattanand Brooklyn there is a max of $180.00 which isn't true in Bayonne)...and the website uses mapquest which is pretty good but not perfect show them to someone who knows the area where you live(an example is that from Madison CT mapquest sends people by 84 - 684 which is a much longer way than 95 to the Merritt...

• 2 months later...

Greetings, We are also booked on the QM2 Sept 30th cruise & just found out that she is sailing out of Bayonne. As we are flying in from Montreal the morning of the 30th, would it be preferable to fly in to Newark as the airport seems quite close to the terminal? Best regards,

Michel

Greetings, We are also booked on the QM2 Sept 30th cruise & just found out that she is sailing out of Bayonne. As we are flying in from Montreal the morning of the 30th, would it be preferable to fly in to Newark as the airport seems quite close to the terminal? Best regards,

Michel

Newark is the closest and easiet to Bayonne.

Hi Michel...just a quick note to invite you to join the rest of the Bayonne Bos'ns, sailing under a late Harvest Moon, at the September 30th Roll Call Board. Add your name to the list and join in the discussion. We've got about a dozen so far chatting, and a few more on the list who haven't chimed in. I'm sure we'll be raising a pint together at some point on the trip. :cool:

Cheers,

Bob & Beatrice

Your southerly neighbors

I think this web site will give you some needed info - Hope it helps!

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/i-capeliberty.pdf

Unfortunately, that site has not been updated since 2004...so while the maps and locating info is usefull, much of the information is incorrect, or obsolete. For instance, the parking rate is higher ...and they DO take credit cards now.

This link is better: http://www.cruiseliberty.com/

Well, I hate to say it, but you might well be better off sailing out of Bayone. We sailed on the QM2 out of Red Hook on 9/2/06, and in all the times I've sailed I have never seen such a disorganized embarkation. It took over an hour & a half to get through the registration lines, and the whole time was spent standing as they had no seating in the terminal. This dispite the fact that all of the paperwork was filled out weeks in advance and faxed to Cunard as per their instructions. The last 4 or 5 times I sailed on Celebrity & Royal Caribbean boarding was a breeze. cunard definately needs help in this area.

by the time we arrived it was a disaster--later we were told a computer cable had gone down-- we lost a good part of the afternoon If we ever go this on this line or through this terminal again I would arrive early & ignore the requests to arrive during your boarding time window--they took anyone on line when they arrived--at least on the line to get checked in... better than NYC & have not tried bayonne--not too easy to get to from LI--limos don't like to go there! Howvere hope ti works out & you enjoy the cruise--that's the best part!

Archived