missing from luggage!

When we returned from our cruise a couple of months ago on the Enchantment, there were 4 pairs of dress shoes missing from our luggage!

At first I thought perhaps I had left them in the closet but how could you leave 4 pairs of shoes without noticing? Then, recently I have read that a few other people have had missing shoes. Anyone else have things missing from their luggage? We check the closet before we leave any hotel/room!

I haven't lost anything yet but, this is why I'm a big fan of the TSA locks. It narrows it down some (in my mind at least) as to where things might come up missing. Sort of a "keeping honest people honest" sort of thing.

Even if you don't want or trust the TSA locks, you can always put locks on your luggage while onboard and then take them off when you get to the ticket counter at the airport. At least you'll be reasonably certain things didn't go AWOL on the ship unless you left them there.

Several years ago we cruised on the Explorer. We failed to pick up a carryon size bag from the luggage area at the port. Later when we called, RCI shipped the luggaage to us, but five or six pairs of shoes were missing. It was our fault for not getting the bag, but someone in the terminal must have gotten some nice shoes for Mama.

Several years ago we cruised on the Explorer. We failed to pick up a carryon size bag from the luggage area at the port. Later when we called, RCI shipped the luggaage to us, but five or six pairs of shoes were missing. It was our fault for not getting the bag, but someone in the terminal must have gotten some nice shoes for Mama.

What is the deal with shoes????

I lost a pair of Nike flip flops on a cruise last year. I'm pretty sure it was the room steward but can't prove it.

I'm just glad it was ONLY a $15 pair of flip flops!

I have a pair of thoise I am addicted to. Thanks for the heads up.

Are we allowed to lock out closets? (Is there a way to if you bring a lock?)

Shoes come at a large premium in the Caribbean. When I visited Ocho Rios I did the walk up stairs at Dunn's River. Of course the sales people are aggresive. I had two different offers for my Sandals. (I had bought them at Payless for $5) When I talked to the lady who had made the offer, I asked can't you get shoes here? She informed me that sandals are about $30 there. She offered me two t-shirts for my shoes. I would have loved to give them to her, however I would not have anything to wear back to the ship. She offered me her shoes, however they were rubber thongs that looked like they had been thru the mill.

If you are planning to go to Dunn's River, buy some cheap sandals and barter with them. They don't care about size, they always know someone that wears that size.

Maybe some of the people on the ship (God forbid) that know this and try to steal shoes. Only a thought!

Where do you get the TSA locks? Do they use keys or combo's? Great idea.

and there are both kinds, keyed and combination. The combination ones tend to cost a little more. Either kind can be opened by the TSA with a special key they have. Some models of lock even have an indicator that will tell you if the TSA has opened it.

I think I got mine at Kohl's or WalMart. I've seen them on eBay as well. Any place with a decent selection of travel accessories/luggage will probably have them. They're pretty good about making the "TSA" very noticeable on the package, since it's a big marketing point; it's not like it's in the fine print or anything.

Yes, shoes are very big, and a huge gift item back home, too.

That's why all my jewelry (which is not very expensive, but has great sentimental value to me) goes with me in my handbag. I never take anything on a cruise that I can't do without, including clothes. I never take any shoes or garment that are expensive to replace, because you never know if you can prove who took it.

Your luggage is passing through so many sets of hands, it's hard to pinpoint who got into your stuff.

TSA locks are a good idea.

This is very interesting. If there is theft of shoes, perhaps on board, and all it takes is any credit card to open the safes, are they really safe and can we really trust the room stewards? I thought we could, but I always locked my valuables (wallets, jewelry, passports, etc.) in the safe when I don't have the need for them. I didn't have any problems on my last cruise on the Grandeur.

all it takes is any credit card to open the safes,

cooncat- In order to open a safe, you need the same credit card ( or any magnetic strip) it was locked with. So just make sure to hide the card you lock your safe with

Just to clarify so no one worries :) Happy sailing!

This is very interesting. If there is theft of shoes, perhaps on board, and all it takes is any credit card to open the safes....

:confused: :confused:

I have never used my credit card or sea pass to open a safe....

We have only ever used a combination that WE make up to open our in room safe. They reset the safe combo every cruise.

Where do you get the TSA locks? Do they use keys or combo's? Great idea.

ebags.com has the best prices I've found. We've used them on our last 3 vacations, including the one where the airline lost our luggage, and our stuff has been returned to us safe and in tact.

Some safes have to be programmed with a Magnetic strip. Don't use a credit card, debit card or Sign & Sail Card. Try a Loyalty Card like Sam's Club, Your local supermarket, Hallmark, Local Gym, AAA Card etc.

Sorry to hear about the wet clothes in Miami. TSA locks are usually bright and colorful too helping to locate your luggage.

Bon Voyage

Archived