Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about

Cinderellie

1. ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES - All cruise lines have different policies regarding bringing alcoholic beverages aboard the ship, some are more restrictive than others. However, generally you can carry one bottle of your favorite beverage in your CHECKED (NOT carry-on) baggage.

NOT... most cruise lines do NOT allow you to bring your favorite beverages... They allow 1 bottle of WINE per adult passenger and charge a $10 corkage fee if opened in the dining room. None allow you to bring beer/liquor LEGALLY...

I emailed my tour company in Grand Cayman about food for the fish while we snorkel. She said that cereal wasn't good for the ecosystem and recommended bananas. I did a web search and found a site about vacationing on Grand Cayman that said you could bring groceries. So do you think it's okay to bring a banana off the ship? I'd consider it a grocery item. My other thought was to bring a sealed container of tropical fish food from a pet store. Thanks for your thoughts.

Today we do a bit more. I am really looking forward to taking my father in law on a deep sea fishing expedition....He is an avid fisherman, but never out side of the local lakes. This I will book (for Key West) online at the Carnival site in order to avoid disapointment.

I can understand wanting to book this thru Carnival, especially for the peace of mind that the ship will wait for you in the event there is a delay in your return from fishing.

As somewhat of an avid fisherman myself, I would definitely speak with the captain (of the fishing boat) of your expectations as you get on board. I've been on corporate charters and the like where the captains....well let's just say they have not always put their best foot forward. In their narrow minds they figure everyone is just a "tourist" and they will probably never see them again. In their defense a lot of corporate schmucks just end up puking and sleeping in the salon. Limited times in port also decrease fishing time considerably, as well as the ability to travel to better "spots" where the fish may be biting. There are many variables to fishing. Does your father in law enjoy trolling, or is bottom fishing more his style? If you can't communicate with the captain prior to fishing, he may not have the requisite gear/bait on board to make this the day you want it to be. Also, when full, most charter boats have about 6 customers on board. Who is first on the rod usually is determined by cutting cards, or some other method of random selection. If you are trolling for big game you may only get a shot or two at some nice fish. So, what I'm trying to say is there is a chance that your "number" may never come up.

If a deep sea charter is what you're after, perhaps you can travel in a day or so prior to your cruise and take a relaxing charter out of the area you are cruising from. The downside is probably the increased expense, the upside is getting exactly what you want out of the day. There are many fishing boards (like this one is for cruising) where you can get recommendations that would suit your taste.

Whatever you decide, tight lines.

I emailed my tour company in Grand Cayman about food for the fish while we snorkel. She said that cereal wasn't good for the ecosystem and recommended bananas. I did a web search and found a site about vacationing on Grand Cayman that said you could bring groceries. So do you think it's okay to bring a banana off the ship? I'd consider it a grocery item. My other thought was to bring a sealed container of tropical fish food from a pet store. Thanks for your thoughts.

Regardless of what a tour company tells you DON'T bring bananas/anything "fresh" off the ship or on the ship... it's a no-no.

I would do the pre-packaged fish food... NOT frozen.. lol

My wife and I were looking through all the pictures and as I'm sure most people do, we were noticing how great some of the other couples or families looked when I noticed two men holding a picture of another couple, not associated with these two, and they kept going on and on about how "hot" the young lady was and they should buy the picture.

In this case however, I did see them put the picture back...

For those of you who are dorks like me and actually went through all 120+ pages of this thread, you will probably recall someone posting a thread about how they did this. (bought a picture of a hot girl :eek:) They later claimed to be joking, but you never know.....:mad: If you dont buy your pictures when you find them I would trash them right then!

:) I am a newbie to cruises, I just thought of something to help you make sure you get all of your suitcase, put a piece of fabric on your suitcases that way if someone got yours they can tell it is not theirs. You can use like your favorite cartoons or your favorite college or pro sports. I am going to use ROLL TIDE (ALABAMA) on our suitcases that way we know if we have all are suitcases. Another tip: if you are one suitcase or two missig just ask your next neighbor if they have one that is not theirs. It is one way to meet your neighbor. Instead of going to the pruser to ask. Or use decals of your favorite sports, comics or whatever you can think of. I hope this helps. Bon Voyage!!!!

There was a suggestion made by grabbing some of the WAL-MART cards, I use to work at there and those cards has to be paid for, you can put $5 on them and use them. You are STEALING if you grab them and do not pay for them. They have not change these rules. So think twice about grabbing them and walk out the store with them. I saw someone yesterday at W-M, they grabbed some those cards and did not pay for them, yeah, you guess right, they got arrested for shop-lifting. I hope this tip helps. Another thing to think about is using expired c.c or d.c. they still have that strip everyone is talking about. If this is a double post about the W-M cards I do apologized.:eek:

Where can you get the type of laynard that has the clear plastic cover to put your S&S card in or do they not sell those on the ship?

As soon as the shops open up your first night, go to the gift shop and get your lanyard. They have red and the have blue and there's a white one for kids club.

I always get mine first day because by day 2, they're usually all gone.

People have said that a gift card from Wal-Mart works. (You don't have to actually buy one, I have been told.)

Please ask before taking. Some W-M do charge for these cards, if you take them without asking you could get in big serious problems with the local police. I use to work with W-M, a couple wanted one for their daughter and was told they have to put 5 dollars on it. So ask before taking the cards.

As soon as the shops open up your first night, go to the gift shop and get your lanyard. They have red and the have blue and there's a white one for kids club.

You can also get lanyards before you sail at stores like walmart or business depot - or from your workplace? I have a few that have been given out as freebies at different events. I was able to get a free one onboard from the Carnival vacation points people -but I guess they are no longer on board!

No, it's not.

This applies to all cruise ships and cruiselines. Bad advice from the other poster about bringing sandwiches off the ship. Often your bags are checked as you leave the ship and food, except for prepackaged things such as crackers, are confiscated.

We have never had food taken out of our carry off bags in port. We take sandwich bags, and large 1 gallon baggies to take our lunch with us on our days off the ship. We have sailed to most all of the Caribbean ports in the past years, and have never once had food taken out of our bag and our bags have never been searched.

We sail in 3 weeks and plan to take an adequate supply of baggies, both large and small to pack lunch every day since our cruise will be in a different port of call every day.

We have never had food taken out of our carry off bags in port. We take sandwich bags, and large 1 gallon baggies to take our lunch with us on our days off the ship. We have sailed to most all of the Caribbean ports in the past years, and have never once had food taken out of our bag and our bags have never been searched.

We sail in 3 weeks and plan to take an adequate supply of baggies, both large and small to pack lunch every day since our cruise will be in a different port of call every day.

I have never seen anyone have trouble taking food off in the Caribbean but on our recent South American trip the port authorities had food sniffing dogs. They fined those with food 50 to 100 US dollars each... bread, fruit, meat.... anything ....

When the authorities stopped someone it held up everyone else trying to get off the ship. They were serious about NO FOOD. The dogs sniffed everyone and every bag that went off the ship. Even with many ship announcements people insisted on trying to take food off.

I brought some of those laundry sheets on board inspiration & was told I can't do my own laundry - you have to pay to have it done onboard by staff.

I guess that's changed in the last 4 years - I did my own laundry on Inspiration in 2005.

I guess that's changed in the last 4 years - I did my own laundry on Inspiration in 2005.

I just got off the Inspiration and I did two loads of laundry while we were on the ship! I was also there last October and did laundry too! Who ever told you this, it is NOT true!

I even called guest services to ask where the laundry room was located on the ship

what's the deal with using a card other than your sign and sail card for your safe? whether it is a wally world card (which you bought not took :p) what is the point of using another card?

Sometimes the magnetic strip on the back of the card can get de-magnetized. If that happens, you can't open your room safe and have to call the Purser's desk and they send someone up to open it for you. If you used your S&S card, you have the extra aggravation of having to stand in line to get it replaced. It's also a bad idea to use a debit or credit card for the "safe" card. I always use a used up gift card.

BTW, the de-magnetizing thing happened to me one cruise. I had used an old gift card on the safe and on the morning we were debarking, I found it wasn't working to open the safe anymore. I had to call the purser's desk and they sent someone up right away to open the safe for me. I guess they are very careful about doing this for people, because I had to sign a form saying it was ok. I was glad I hadn't used a debit or credit card I would need on my way home!

I brought some of those laundry sheets on board inspiration & was told I can't do my own laundry - you have to pay to have it done onboard by staff.

FYI,

Every full cabin deck of every Carnival ship has at least one public laundry room. Some have 2. Carnival does NOT have a ship where you MUST pay to have laundry done.

In your defense,

There ARE room stewards that tell passengers that smoking is not allowed in cabins or on balconies. That is not true [except for the early days of the PARADISE]. They just don't want the extra effort of cleaning a smokers cabin. So they LIE.

FYI,

Every full cabin deck of every Carnival ship has at least one public laundry room. Some have 2. Carnival does NOT have a ship where you MUST pay to have laundry done./quote]

What coins are needed for the washers and dryers? Do I have to take rolls of coins or can I get them on board?

You can bring some on the ship or you can go to the purser for some quarters.

TIP: If you are a parent and on vacation, please just remember that there are other people who are also on vacation, so please watch your child(ren). It is not fair to have other passengers get run down by other people children. Just because you are on vacation does not mean you stop being a parent. And please tell your children do not take things off other people doors. Or write on other people dry-board. Alot of people would appericate it.

I have just finished reading every single post on all 125 pages! Although I was excited about the original theme of this thread: Carnival-specific "secrets", I am also enjoying the "cruising tips" thread that it has morphed into.

Here's a few I did not see in the thousands of posts above:

• If you bring your own washcloths (which I always do; and can be a good idea, since others have mentioned it being hard to get them sometimes), bring coloured / patterned ones. This way, they won't get mistaken for the ship's washcloths and get taken away by your room steward.
  • Purrel (or Germ-X) antibacterial, individually-wrapped hand wipes are one of the best inventions, ever! They're better than just sanitizing gel, because they actually wipe the stuff off of your hands as well as kill germs. And the cooling effect of the alcohol as it evaporates can feel really nice in tropical ports of call. They take up practically no space in luggage. You can get a big box of these at Sam's club, in the aisle with soaps, razors, shampoos, etc. Throw a few handfuls into your luggage. Use often. Great for wiping down tables, life-jackets, shopping cart handles, etc.
  • This may seem like common sense, but so many of us are procrastinators...If you are taking formal wear that hasn't been worn in awhile (for instance: husband's tux), try on the entire outfit weeks before your cruise. That way, if it needs dry-cleaning or alterations you have time to get them done. This is also a great way to find out if a part of the outfit is missing.

Happy cruising to all! :)

How much are these lanyards? Can't you get them elsewhere (before the cruise) for a lot less than what Carnival charges?

[/color][/size]

Some have reported that it erases the data on the strip.

Be careful with your cell phones in the safe. One of our phones wouldn't work when we took it out at the end of the cruise. The safe demagnitized the sim card in the phone and we lost everything stored on the sim...all phone numbers and pictures. :(

Be careful with your cell phones in the safe. One of our phones wouldn't work when we took it out at the end of the cruise. The safe demagnitized the sim card in the phone and we lost everything stored on the sim...all phone numbers and pictures. :(

Wow - never heard of that before - and I always keep my phone turned off and in the safe!!!! YIKES!:eek:

P.S. Just spoke w/dh who is an RF (radio frequency) design engineer says it is not possible to 'demagnetize' a sim card - nothing magnetic about it!!! May have been caused by a 'static burst' - eg when you placed it into the safe after 'shuffling' along the carpet - or just a poorly manufactured Sim card!)

Archived