Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about

Cinderellie

Maybe someone here can answer this question. I've heard that Carnival now charges for the cakes/singing for special occasions now. Is that true? If so, that really stinks. What about the other cruise lines? Any one know?

The Sensation does not have a deli only the bigger and newer ships do.

The book mentioned- In your cabin will be a hardcover book about your ship.

Carnival now charges for the cakes it brings to your table for your birthday or anniversary. I have not heard that they charge for singing however!

What?!! No deli??? I keep hearing folks rave about the rueben sandwiches, and I thought on the Sensation. Man, I had the whole family worked up and ready for ruebens. I would swear I have read about them in some reviews. Was I just hallucinating cornbeef?

The Sensation does not have a deli only the bigger and newer ships do.

The book mentioned- In your cabin will be a hardcover book about your ship.

Carnival now charges for the cakes it brings to your table for your birthday or anniversary. I have not heard that they charge for singing however!

The Carnival Rep didn't tell us about a charge, but asked if we were celebrating and said they'd present us with a cake. That's very misleading if they are hitting our S&S card with a charge. The cake isn't even that good!

On the cake issue - our headwaitress knew wewere celebrating our anniversary and discreetly asked us if we would like to have the cake, and told us the cost of the two different sizes. We declined, but the next night they brought us the hot chocolate souffle and sang "Hoppy Onniverserie" to us anyway, even though we told them they didn't need to do that. I'm glad they did, though - I hadn't been planning on ordering the souffle for my dessert (it was cheescake night!) but that ended up being one of our favorite desserts! (The other was the Grand Marnier souffle :D )

I do not know about the other ships, but the deli on the elation was in tiffany's at the back of the center island. It was open from about 11-2:30 every day and they made great sandwiches. Some people did not know it was there if they never went to the back of tiffanys during lunch. At dinnertime, the area was where the desserts werre kept.

What is the cabin book?

In your cabin you will notice a hardback book about Carnival on the talbe or nightstand. It looks like a tourist book you might see in hotels that say "do not remove". This one is free for the asking. Our got buried under our stuff and we forgot about it. It makes a nice sovenier.

I like the plastic envolopes for the laynards, I put my sign and sail and my ID in it (and a few bucks just in case I need something). It's much easier than sticking all that in my pocket, carrying a bag or searching for Hubby since it's in his wallet. Makes getting on and off the ship easier too.

DonnaD...Not to worry. There is most definitely a deli on the Sensation, unless they removed it in the past 3 weeks! It is in the back of the Seaview Grill (cafeteria kind of restaurant) on the Lido deck. It is right next to the Pizza counter. I actually had the Reuben one day & it was DELISH! Much better than some of the not-so-great food offered in the buffet line. Have Fun!

Oh, one other tip (if you want to call it that). You can go to your dining room any time of day & "scan" the menu for that night. It's posted at the entrance to the dining room & I just loved going there & checking on the offerings for that night. I would be sitting at the pool thinking about what I was going to order that night! Yumm!

Just a bit of info, from what I have heard, you are charged for cappuccino now in the dinning room on alot of the ships. Maybe others will please let us know which ships are charging.

It seems that Carnival has different polices on all their ships. I was on the Spirit this past March, and non-carbonated soft drinks, Espresso & Cappuccino were FREE in the main dining room.

Additionally, the non-carbonated soft drinks, coffee, tea, hot chocolate AND soft serve ice cream and frozen yogurt were FREE & AVAILABLE 24/7!

I don't know about the Sensation, but on the Triumph there is a (unmarked) door on the fifth or sixth deck (towards the front of the ship) that takes you to an outside deck area. Hardly anyone knows about this, and it's a great place to sneak off to for some privacy

Well, we found out that all the dancers hang out on the topless deck on the last sea day... I'm sure that some of you will love that tidbit of info! ;)

If you are going on an excurtion the next day that does not include lunch...order sandwichs the night before from room service and put them in the frig overnight.

Well, we found out that all the dancers hang out on the topless deck on the last sea day... I'm sure that some of you will love that tidbit of info! ;)

I only found that to be true once! :D :) :D :p

Irisheyes3 - I sailed on Miracle in May. Inside our cabin there was a small table...on the table there were several books...one was the typical one that you see in hotels listing room service, etc. Additionally there was a book about the ship....contructions pictures, publicity shots, etc....but, most of the pages are just advertising. But it is still a nice book. Our cabin steward asked us if we would like to take it. Which we did.

My wife and I have started "scrapebooking" so we intend to remove the pictures from the book and place them on scrapebook pages.

The cruise my wife and I took in May was our first....Our friends told us that there would be things to do from morning till the wee hours of the morning...we believed them, but we packed for that "just in case". Well, they were right. We packed books, and hand held electronic games, CD players and CD's. On our first day, we unpacked our suitcases into drawers and that is where it all stayed.

Now, don't get me wrong - if you are a sun person you may enjoy siting or laying on the deck catching some rays reading a book and listening to your favorite CD. But we got caught up doing activities listed in "Capers". We looked at it this way...you can sit out in the sun anywhere...and we did sit out on the deck occasionally. But we enjoyed watching and participating in activities. I even won one of those "24 caret gold plastic ship on a sticks".

Oh speaking of that - If they have the "Galley" tour on your cruise....take it. It is incredible to see the activity that goes on down there. Sure makes you appreciate your meal alittle more as you are eating.

There just isn't enough hours in a day to do all of the things that you want....but we did our best.

I don't know about the Sensation, but on the Triumph there is a (unmarked) door on the fifth or sixth deck (towards the front of the ship) that takes you to an outside deck area. Hardly anyone knows about this, and it's a great place to sneak off to for some privacy

We were on the Maiden Voyage of the Triumph in 1999 and discovered the "secret" door that led to the "Crew Only" area on the bow of the ship. I assume this is the door you are talking about. We stood right at the front tip of the ship as we left St John and Halifax. We were the only ones there except for the crew who were handling the bow lines. I told some friends about this who were sailing a few weeks later. They tried and the door was locked.

Regarding tips, bring a travel clock since there are no clocks in the room as well as a power strip.

If you are going on an excurtion the next day that does not include lunch...order sandwichs the night before from room service and put them in the frig overnight.

"If you are going on an excurtion the next day that does not include lunch...order sandwichs the night before from room service and put them in the frig overnight."

R duke, I have seen many discussions on these boards re: taking food off the ship. Some people have mentioned that they have seen alot of food dumped in garbage cans as they debark in port. It is forbidden to remove food off ship & it may be confiscated. Just a heads up.

What is the cabin book?

Gee, I wish I would have known you could request that book when I was on the Conquest.

It's sort of like what I call a souvenir coffee table book. It's that size and has lots of photos of the ship. It gives a history of Carnival Cruise Lines and is pretty good except for the "story" in it which is basically a Carnival commercial.

I don't know how much of a secret this is, but I had forgotten to pack my toothpaste on my first cruise and asked the room steward if she had any sample sizes. She came back to my cabin with handfulls of sample size toothpaste to use for the week. I'm assuming if you ask your steward, you will get it. (within reason of course).

Archived