transportation to LAX from cruise ship

getaway101

Can anyone help me with info for the best way to get transportation for 6 from the cruise port in LA to LAX?

We have a 12:35 flight back to the east coast and Celebrity says they won't guarnatee to get us there on time. :confused:

Yes, either one would be good.

Also, make arrangements so that you can get to LAX 2 hours before your flight. That is what is recommended for that flight and it can be quite busy there.

If you disembark on a Sunday at San Pedro the drive to LAX should be about 45 minutes.

Whoever you book with be sure to have their phone numbers handy. I would call them from your cell phone on the ship a couple of hours before you disembark to make sure all is in order. And, a few minutes before you know you will be getting off the ship call them again to make sure they are in the port.

Keith

Keith..........what is the cost of the shuttle? Will they also take you to a hotel in Long Beach? My daughter and were thinking about driveing down from Sacramento and staying over night where they would keep the car. There is also the option to fly into Long Beach on Blue Jet since LAX is so crowded. Any suggestions which is best? We'll be on Celebrity in March Thanks in advance. Rosemary

The shuttle from LAX will be around $25.00 per person. Just contact the various shuttle services to see what their prices are. You can go from LAX to a hotel in Long Beach and of course at the end of the cruise you can go from the cruise ship to the airport, etc.

Keith

If you have a 1235pm flight, you'll need to be at LAX no later than 10:35am, meaning you'd have to allow at least an hour for the shuttle to pick you up and get you to the airport. That means you'd have to get off the ship at 9:35am...and that's pushing it.

Customs and getting off the ship takes forever in Los Angeles. We were on a Carnival ship in March and Customs cleared us at 7:30am. We didn't get off the ship until almost 10:00am. We were on a Carnival ship in Miami last July and were cleared and off the ship within the hour.

Is there any way you can change your flight to something after 2:00pm?

I believe for 2 people and four suitcases, Prime Time charges about $32.

Sue

RoseM - Long Beach is much closer that LAX ... also, Long Beach is a smaller airport a lot easier to get in and out of. If it were my decision, I would pick Long Beach to fly in and out of any time over LAX.

RoseM - Long Beach is much closer that LAX ... also, Long Beach is a smaller airport a lot easier to get in and out of. If it were my decision, I would pick Long Beach to fly in and out of any time over LAX.

I agree, but the issue is can she flying into Long Beach. When we went on a recent cruise we were able to fly into Long Beach from our home city. But, after the cruise we wanted to fly from Long Beach to San Francisco to spend a few days there before flying back home but that was not possible on the airline that we selected so we had to go to LAX. I also looked at alternative airlines such as Southwest and that was not possible. So, the issue is whether or not there is a flight from Sacramento to Long Beach, and the cost.

Keith

We have a 12:35 flight back to the east coast and Celebrity says they won't guarnatee to get us there on time. :confused:

Check both Prime Time and Super Shuttle. We had a similiar situation last year, had a 12:30 pm flight on a Sunday morning. We used Prime Time, but I would use Super Shuttle next time. Nothing wrong with the service, just newer looking vans. With six people you can get a private van, and the cost was about $65. Probably more this year with the price of gas. We didn't have to wait for the shared van to fill up, but we did have to wait for the dispatcher to "call in" another van. (They don't allow many vans on site, as it is very crowded there, especially if there are three ships in at once.)

We were delayed getting off, which I think is somewhat common in San Pedro, and weren't called to get off until 10:00 am. We made it to the gate about 10 minutes before boarding. If you get into port on a Sunday morning, I don't think traffic on the expressway is too bad, and I don't think LAX is that busy. We used curb side check in for the luggage and went through two secuity lines. The first was a line to tell you which secutiy line to go to, and the second was pretty long, but moved fast. I have to admit that I only looked at the speedometer once on the way to the LAX. Does 85 mph upset you?

I would also take Keith's advice about calling before getting off the ship. Also, have one of your party get a porter, while the other five look for your plainly marked luggage. The porter gets you through customs faster, and knows where to go for the shuttle. People also get out of the way of those big carts.

Keith1010 -

JetBlue has a hub in Long Beach ... they do fly the Sacramento route ... and at very reasonable prices. JetBlue is one of the newer, more popular airlines that seem to be able to make money. New planes ... leather seats ... satellite TV on the backs of each headrest ... etc.

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions for transportation from the airport to the ship. In the past I have not posted much, have enjoyed reading though. I now find the threads so informative and people willing to share. My daughter and I are going on the Celebrity Summit to Hawaii 3/3/07. We can't book air yet because it is too early. I think we will consider Jet Blue it is a lot cheaper than other airlines. I really don't like to drive from Sacramento, would rather fly. My daughter does the driving and 85 is OK with her....we are trying to book airfare now to San Diego for a cruise 10/22/06....the price is terrible on all the airlines..usually 204. one way. We hope prices will come down close to sailing time. The other day I saw you could fly to London for that price...go figure. At least we have the choice of going out of Sac. or Oakland. Southwest doesn't go in or out of SF.

The last couple of years we have taken cruises out of SF to eliminate flying, we drive down and park. But only Celebrity and Princesss go out of there.

Thanks again to all ....if any more questions pop up I'll be posting....

Rosemary :) :) :)

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions on how to get from the port to the airport.

We had booked our air so early, only to have them change the flight on us. I usually book through the cruise line, but thought I would try it on my own. Don't know if it was worth the savings for the headache!:rolleyes:

Archived