NCL air to Hawaii; or air on our own

bleuseas

It's been a long time since we've done air through the cruise companies. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences using NCL's air to Hawaii. We're flying from AZ and were told the stop may be in LAX or San Francisco or ???.

Their prices are better than anything I can find. I just worry about connections, long layovers, red-eye flights etc. I can fly non-stop for about $100 more per person and am tempted to do so to avoid the mystery of the flights they'll assign us.

Besides the fact that they will back you up if your flight is delayed, are there any other opinions on the subject?

The biggest drawback that I found (after I booked NCL air) is the fact that you must fly in to Hawaii on the day of the cruise if you book through NCL. But we got such a great deal that I would still book it again. We really wanted to get there a day or two early to recoup from the jet lag, but that wasnt possible.

We literally saved thousands of dollars by NOT flying in two days early. They had a special promo going that you could use only if you didn't do a pre- or post-cruise stay. I hated to give up the two extra days ahead of time, but we've been to Oahu a bunch of times. It would've been nice for our two sons to see Pearl Harbor and some of my favorite places on the island, but for thousands less, it was worth it to drop the pre-cruise stay.

As far as air goes, for us in So. Cal., we paid $418 per person RT air out of SAN. That is a HECK of a lot cheaper than any other air carrier, so we went with it. Ususally, I don't like cruise line air, but there are times when the cost is so much cheaper, that it's worth it.

The biggest drawback that I found (after I booked NCL air) is the fact that you must fly in to Hawaii on the day of the cruise if you book through NCL. But we got such a great deal that I would still book it again. We really wanted to get there a day or two early to recoup from the jet lag, but that wasnt possible.

We used NCL air and were able to do a 2 day precruise deviation. Some specials will allow the deviation some will not.

In our case we have terrific flights...this is not so for all people as you will probably hear. Even with how our flights worked out...for $100pp I would make my own air arrangements. In our case the savings was about $300 pp (saved $1200).

The biggest drawbacks were...WAITING until 30 days before the trip to get our flights. Not having assigned seats...you need to call the airline directly for them. Again this worked out for us but took several extra phone calls & time. The possibility that NCL has the right to split our party up...this was a biggie for me since I couldn't imagine our 12yo son flying to HNL from Buffalo by himself. ~they will very rarely split the people in the same cabin...but we have 2 cabins so we booked me in one and hubby in the other~

Hope this helps

We live in Prescott and found the best deal was to drive to san diego and then take NCL United flight. We left san diego at 7am and then flew to LA. we left LA around 9 am and we were on the ship by 2:30. Check the difference in price on NCL's website between san diego. LA and Phoenix. I was afraid that we'd arrive just before the ship departed, but that's not true. They want to get you there early in the day.

Ronheg:

We're down south of Tucson, so the drive to San Diego is not worth it, especially on the way home. We were thinking of driving up to PHX and using Hawaiian Air as they are direct and we wouldn't have to do the red-eye.

I wasn't aware that you sometimes couldn't fly in a day early if you are using NCL air. I'll have to check into that. We were thinking of adding a pre-cruise day so our heads would be clear when we got to the ship.

Billswife1:

As for splitting up our party, if somebody wants to entertain my two sons (7&11) in another part of the plane, that would be just fine with me. Sounds like a great start to a vacation! KIDDING!

That's my problem too, waiting to see what flights we are assigned to. I've heard grumbling about the flights people are assigned, but haven't seen any details. Someone else's "major inconvenience" may be minor to me, as are most things on these boards.

Yes, you can definitely fly in many, many days ahead of the cruise if you want to or do a post cruise stay when you book air through NCL.

The only thing you may not get is a much lower price if you do a pre- or post-cruise stay.

If you're booking your own air, there's a great non-stop flight on Hawaiian Air out of SAN. It leaves at 9:05 AM and arrives at HNL at 11:45 AM. I wouldn't bother using United out of SAN because you have to make a stop at either LAX or SFO and that uses up a lot of time. NCL assigned us the Hawaiian Air non-stop flight on the way to HNL. Unfortunately, we're stuck on a United flight on the way home with a stop in LAX. :(

We literally saved thousands of dollars by NOT flying in two days early. They had a special promo going that you could use only if you didn't do a pre- or post-cruise stay.....

Keep in mind that this savings was vs. the CRUISELINE pre cruise stay. Often you can fly on your own, tour on your own for lots less. Do not feel you MUST use the cruiseline.

[/quote

Billswife1:

As for splitting up our party, if somebody wants to entertain my two sons (7&11) in another part of the plane, that would be just fine with me. Sounds like a great start to a vacation! KIDDING!

That's my problem too, waiting to see what flights we are assigned to. I've heard grumbling about the flights people are assigned, but haven't seen any details. Someone else's "major inconvenience" may be minor to me, as are most things on these boards.

I agree about somebody else entertaining my son in another part of the plane...in fact I begged the airlines to seat us in different parts of the plane (me of course in first class at the economy rate) J/K!!! My real issue was being on different planes altogether.

I do agree about one man's junk...another man's treasure theory...but I have heard of 5+ hour layovers...red eye flights with 3 or 4 connections, etc. In most cases I can usually find something positive to entertain ourselves but at times it can be tough to see the silver lining.

It's been a long time since we've done air through the cruise companies. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences using NCL's air to Hawaii. We're flying from AZ and were told the stop may be in LAX or San Francisco or ???.

Their prices are better than anything I can find. I just worry about connections, long layovers, red-eye flights etc. I can fly non-stop for about $100 more per person and am tempted to do so to avoid the mystery of the flights they'll assign us.

Besides the fact that they will back you up if your flight is delayed, are there any other opinions on the subject?

It has been a long time since we've done the cruise thing too. I have read too many things on CC about being at the cruise lines mercy when it comes to booking air with the cruise line. We're going on POH 1/1/07. I found a deal on airfare with a hotel room the day before the cruise and will probably save about $200. It took alot of work, but I got to pick my flights, my seats and will arrive a day early. Just in case of bad weather in Chicago (hometown), I have a little buffer in case of weather delays. I'm sure some people have had good luck with NCLair, but flying with 2 kids, I want them on the same flight. I can take comfort of not having any surprises on my flight. I will save them for the cruise itself. Do the homework, it will pay off in the end. As with any major purchase, you need to be an informed consumer.

Garycarla - Not sure what you mean in your post. My savings was NOT vs. the cruiseline pkg. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post. ???

The savings was off the cruise price - it was a HUGE difference in price to get the promo that had no pre-cruise stay. It was over $1,000 less per person and there are 4 of us, add in what we were paying for the hotel for the 2 nights (2 rooms), spending money during that pre-cruise stay AND a lower airfare, and we saved over $5000 by NOT getting the pre-cruise stay.

It's one time that it was advantageous to go with cruise line air and not do a pre-cruise stay.

The bottom line is that it pays to check things out both ways - getting air & hotel on your own or getting it through the cruise line THEN making an educated decision. :)

If you book privately, make sure you book your air with a refundable fare.

There's plenty of unrefundable air fares out there, and if your cruise gets cancelled, you can be out many bucks.

And always get travel insurance.....You or someone in your family, may be the cause for a cancelled cruise.

I took their air for our recent trip on 6/19 POH and a post cruise. It was a better deal for us. I tried to book the air on my own and so did my agent and it was a lot more than NCL and we are seven. I flew to Atlanta and then straight to Hawaii. We had the same airline both ways. I was worried about splitting us up after postings I read here. I expressed this to my agent and she took care of it. I know that she kept calling them for the air and we had it over 20 days before. It was a lot less but yes I was worried the whole time about them splitting us up.

Hello!

As a first time cruiser I decided to let NCL make my flight arrangements. I can't say I am totally happy with them, but will make the best of it. I have a feeling that I didn't get the best flights due to my purchasing on 5/31 for a 7/8 departure. They have us flying early morning out of PHX to Salt Lake City on Delta and then a direct flight from SLC to HNL. We arrive at 2pm which isn't too bad. Our flight home is with United departing HNL at 10:50 pm, connecting in San Francisco and then back to PHX...YUCK...but I am going to Hawaii, have the opportunity to visit all of the islands and on a cruise for the first time, surprising my mom for her birthday...I can handle it. Next time I may look into my own flights, especially if book early. Have fun!

Christine

Well, I live in FL and after last years Hurricane season, I would now only buy air fare throught the cruiseline. We live in Ft. Lauderdale and drove over to Tampa to take a cruise that included Mexico. We were cruising back at the same time that Hurricane Katrina was coming south of KeyWest and on into New Orleans. We could not go back into Tampa and the ship was diverted to Ft. Lauderdale. They then put us on buses and drove us back to Tampa. I could hardly complain after what happened in New Orleans. BUT...for the passengers who bought their air through the cruise, was given a paper telling them their new schedule--either they had them flying out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and all the arrangements had been changed for them. For the others, during the meeting in the lounge, they were handed a paper with all the phone numbers for all the airlines and were told they need to contact them to change their tickets. WELL...what a mess that was. Ft.Lauderdale airport was packed with people who had missed their flights etc. And after Wilma, the airport was closed for 3 days. So from now on, (especially durring Hurricane season) I will allow the cruise to make the arrangements. They are also responsible to get us there on time to meet the ship. I am flying from FL in about 5 weeks to Hawaii and we will fly the morning of the cruise which is the same thing we did 4 years ago. Will then do a 3 day post. Hope this helps you.

I used NCL for my air and I will have a little over an hour lay over in San Francisco on the way over and on a different airline on the way back an hour in Salt Lake City. I am also leaving from Phx. The only issue I have is the time of my departure from Phx. The flight leaves at 6am.... the good side more time in Oahu as I am getting there a day ahead.

We recently did a Baltic cruise using NCL's air. We had great flights and times. Couldn't complain about a thing.

For our trip to Hawaii in October, we booked our own air because we had miles we could use and got free flights.

I was also surprised at how early NCL is getting us to HNL. It's great & I'm really happy with the time, it just seems strange because we'll get to the ship before "official" boarding time.

Isn't that the whole idea? (or am I missing something)

We usually book our own airfare, but NCL had a promotion of free air and it really was a great price and I can't beat it today. I even looked into the charter flights which we have used in the past and are usually very reasonable (Suntrips out of Oakland airport) but this was a great NCL package.

We usually book our own airfare, but NCL had a promotion of free air and it really was a great total price. I still can't beat it today. I even looked into the charter flights which we have used in the past and are usually very reasonable (Suntrips out of Oakland airport) but this was a great NCL package.

I am also looking at the great deal that NCL is offering , with airfare out of LAX or SAN BUT I live in Cleveland, and the online agency I called said that they could not arrange airfare for me from Cleveland. So I would need to fly in to California the night before . This is not so bad except for fear of delays due to weather. Also I wonder what time the flight back, out of Honolulu would be. Can I catch the red eye late that night out of LAX or does NCL sometimes keep you in Honolulu waiting for an evening flight out? Any ideas?

Archived