NCL air to Hawaii; or air on our own

bleuseas

What do you mean? :confused: It isn't the usual case in my experience. Usually, the cruise line is very particular about NOT getting you to the port before official boarding time.

Well, I guess the key is....If you book air with a cruiseline then when would you expect to arrive? I have not cruised in a long time, but I would think that the cruiseline would want to get you there early. It would hurt them if everyone was late.

That is one of the reasons why, after much deliberation, I booked my own air. I got to choose my own flight times, my own seats and I know when and where my layovers are. I will also be able to spend NYE in Waikiki in a nice hotel and still save about $400. If the cruiseline is "not very particular" about getting you to the port before official boarding time, then I will. :p

I am also looking at the great deal that NCL is offering , with airfare out of LAX or SAN BUT I live in Cleveland, and the online agency I called said that they could not arrange airfare for me from Cleveland. So I would need to fly in to California the night before . This is not so bad except for fear of delays due to weather. Also I wonder what time the flight back, out of Honolulu would be. Can I catch the red eye late that night out of LAX or does NCL sometimes keep you in Honolulu waiting for an evening flight out? Any ideas?

Merkelcg, When are you going? I found a good deal out of Chicago in January.:)

We usually book our own airfare, but NCL had a promotion of free air and it really was a great total price. I still can't beat it today. I even looked into the charter flights which we have used in the past and are usually very reasonable (Suntrips out of Oakland airport) but this was a great NCL package.

free air?? how, when, and what type of stateroom do you need to purchase? Also i tried to check how much airfare with suntrips would cost, but i believe they were bought out by some big travel company and no longer charters flights to hawaii. So i wasnt able to check pricing.

bubiesmom: we are looking to go in early December. One or two on line cruise agencies have advertised air included from LAX or SAN and the agent I spoke to over the phone yesterday said that the cost of the cabin would be the same with or without the air from LAX or SAN. The price looks great, but it is such a long haul back to Cleveland that we might need to spend a night before and after the cruise in the California airport, as we don't know what time NCL would arrange to fly us back there. What is the deal from Chicago? Although Chicago is a 7 hour drive from us.

Starting to sound like way too much work for a vacation. Since SOMEBODY is paying for air, you might want to do a little shopping. Check on booking your own air and what sort of cabin prices you can get elsewhere.

Remember, SOMEBODY has to pay for the air.

As a first time cruiser I decided to let NCL make my flight arrangements. I can't say I am totally happy with them, but will make the best of it. I have a feeling that I didn't get the best flights due to my purchasing on 5/31 for a 7/8 departure. They have us flying early morning out of PHX to Salt Lake City on Delta and then a direct flight from SLC to HNL. We arrive at 2pm which isn't too bad. Our flight home is with United departing HNL at 10:50 pm, connecting in San Francisco and then back to PHX...YUCK...
As a first time cruiser this is a great time to learn the ins and outs of cruise air. First, the cruise line has arrangements with the airlines to fill certain seats on certain flights and those flights aren't always the most direct or best times. Second, flight arrangements aren't made by the cruise line until about 30 days out. You booked before then so you weren't at the bottom of some pile for flights therefore getting the worst flights. Last, your return flight isn't uncommon. A lot of people on this board that booked their own air have the same type of arrangements as you have. In the future you can use NCL's Premium Air Service in order to request certain things. For about $50 a person you can request what airport you want to fly out of, what time of day you want to fly and how many stops you want to make. NCL can't guarantee your requests but they try. As you get more comfortable with cruising, booking your own air is usually the best bet.

Hi,

I'm the OP and have booked my own air non-stop at normal times of day through Hawaiian Airlines (no red-eyes) for only about $10 more than NCL was offering for their "mystery flights". I was lucky to catch an online sale and leave a day earlier to save some extra $ and spend the day before in Honolulu.

I was glad I did this as I was at the TA's office yesterday and in the short time I was there two people came in saying the cruises they just returned from were great, but the flights arranged by the cruise companies (not sure which ones) were a complete nightmare, with multiple stops and crazy flight times.

Well, I guess the key is....If you book air with a cruiseline then when would you expect to arrive? I have not cruised in a long time, but I would think that the cruiseline would want to get you there early. It would hurt them if everyone was late.

That is one of the reasons why, after much deliberation, I booked my own air. I got to choose my own flight times, my own seats and I know when and where my layovers are. I will also be able to spend NYE in Waikiki in a nice hotel and still save about $400. If the cruiseline is "not very particular" about getting you to the port before official boarding time, then I will. :p

I was expecting NCL to put us on a later flight that got us to the ship around 4-6pm. That way, we'd still be onboard hours before ship departure, and they'd have us arriving at the port at the least busiest times.

I was really impressed that they have us arriving before noon on embarkation day. I'm much happier getting there too early than too late.

Also, for the flight home, they could've put us on a cheaper flight late in the day that leaves from 6pm to midnight and we would've arrived back in California the next morning. This would've totally screwed up DH's schedule, as he's due to go back to work that day.

BUT, they put us on very reasonable flights - both ways! Not the cheapest flights. The times were realistic and reasonable.

Merkelcg - What delays are you talking about? If you mean delays in Southern California in December, those are a very rare thing. If you're talking SFO, then yes, you might have fog.

For those who did book their air to Hawaii with NCL did you call to check flight itinerary so you could get your assigned seats from the airline.

If so, how far out did they do the flights. I asked one agent and she said to start checking 45 days. Another said not until 30 days.

I checked about every other day from 47 days prior to sailing. Finally, at 35 days prior to sailing, they had assigned us the flights.

I then called each of the airlines and tried to get seats and gave them our frequent flyer numbers.

For two flights, I could get seats together, but for our first flight, I couldn't. We have to wait until check-in which makes me a bit nervous. :( We'll be getting to the airport 2 1/2 hrs. early in hopes of getting seats for the 4 of us together.

bubiesmom: we are looking to go in early December. One or two on line cruise agencies have advertised air included from LAX or SAN and the agent I spoke to over the phone yesterday said that the cost of the cabin would be the same with or without the air from LAX or SAN. The price looks great, but it is such a long haul back to Cleveland that we might need to spend a night before and after the cruise in the California airport, as we don't know what time NCL would arrange to fly us back there. What is the deal from Chicago? Although Chicago is a 7 hour drive from us.

merkelcg, It's amazing how airfare accomodations differ. I looked at Travelocity, Expedia and the individual airlines. They all offered different round trip pairings. I found a deal on cheaptickets.com. About $700 pp (for 4 of us). leave early am on NYE with a small stop in vegas and return flight is about 7pm will a small stop in Phoenix and get back tues afternoon before the early afternoon rush hour at ORD. You even get to pick your seats. We will arrive one day early and spend NYE in Waikiki and have all day NYD to sightsee before going to the dock. On the way home, we have all day because out flight doesn't leave until about 7pm. You know you can't depend on Midwest weather in January.(NO, I don't work for them, but I'm happy to find such flights and glad to share. Maybe you might be able to find something similar out of Cleveland.) Good luck and keep looking.:D

As a first time cruiser this is a great time to learn the ins and outs of cruise air. First, the cruise line has arrangements with the airlines to fill certain seats on certain flights and those flights aren't always the most direct or best times. Second, flight arrangements aren't made by the cruise line until about 30 days out. You booked before then so you weren't at the bottom of some pile for flights therefore getting the worst flights. Last, your return flight isn't uncommon. A lot of people on this board that booked their own air have the same type of arrangements as you have. In the future you can use NCL's Premium Air Service in order to request certain things. For about $50 a person you can request what airport you want to fly out of, what time of day you want to fly and how many stops you want to make. NCL can't guarantee your requests but they try. As you get more comfortable with cruising, booking your own air is usually the best bet.

Ceclia, I was told by NCL it's not just an extra $50 to pick your own flights. It's also the price difference between what the air is now when you book the cruise and what NCL actually gets the flight you want for!

If you book and the flight is $500 and NCL "shops" for you and your flight turns out to be $750, you pay the $250 plus the $50 for having them do the work. When I pressed further, NCL said that that's how it works and $50 is a small price for them to find you the flight that you want. ( I'd rather to the "homework" on my own.....):D

We received our flights booked thru NCL today. We fly from Atlanta to Salt Lake City, have a one hour layover and arrive in Honolulu at 2:00 pm. Our return flight is a direct flight from Honolulu to Atlanta leaving at 4:00pm. After reading some people's problems with NCL arranging air we were worried about what we would get, but are satisfied with these flights.

Cecilia, I was told by NCL it's not just an extra $50 to pick your own flights. It's also the price difference between what the air is now when you book the cruise and what NCL actually gets the flight you want for!

If you book and the flight is $500 and NCL "shops" for you and your flight turns out to be $750, you pay the $250 plus the $50 for having them do the work. When I pressed further, NCL said that that's how it works and $50 is a small price for them to find you the flight that you want. ( I'd rather to the "homework" on my own.....):D

When were you told this? Less than two weeks ago we paid NCL an air deviation fee for a cruise in the fall. We were quoted the price of air add on. I asked about Premium Air. Paid the $50 per person and that's it. They're going to try and meet our requests. There was no mention of paying some kind of price difference and I've never heard that in the past. :confused:

SoontoBmtnest -- We sail July 31 We actually used a local travel agency and she booked everything thru the NCL office. When she received our documents she called and made our seating arrangments. There are 3 of us traveling together and all our seats are together. I was worried about flights and seats because the travel agent did not receive any of the documents until yesterday and we are only 16 days out. We are staying 2 days pre cruise on Waikiki.

Thanks, we are also doing the 2 day pre-cruise. Sounds like good flight times as well.

Cecilia, I also called about premmium air and was told $50 per peson and any additional airfare over what we were quoted.

Cecilia, I also called about premmium air and was told $50 per peson and any additional airfare over what we were quoted.
Hmmm...I'm definitely going to call back. What puzzles me is my final payment is due 75 days out. Airfare won't be assigned until about 30 days out. Am I supposed to pay the final bill with air only to be charged again once air is assigned? That's not OK with me at all. See...this is what happens when I try to use cruise air. The only reason we decided to do it this time is because rates out of Denver at the time are outrageous. But if it's going to be outrageous no matter what...I'd just as soon do it myself. :mad:

Cecilia,

From what I understand, the $50 air deviation fee is for the "trouble" NCL goes through to find and book specific airfare for you. In addition to the air deviation fee, you would have to pay the difference in cost between the quoted "cruiseline air" and the air deviation. It says so on NCL's Premium Air webpage:

"Any additional air differential charges imposed as a result of the preferred air itinerary request, will be the sole responsibility of the guest and are non-commissionable to the travel agent."

If I understand correctly, air deviation through NCL is just NCL acting as a travel agent and booking the flights for you. I'd assume it would happen right when you asked for air deviation so that they could give you a difference you'd have to pay but I'm not positive as I was not able to participate in an air deviation (we used NCL's air promotion to hawaii which doesn't allow air deviation, but was so much cheaper than booking ourselves).

Also, under the NCL Air/Sea Program page, it says that you don't need to pay the full price for air until the final payment so maybe that's where they would tack on the extra cost, if any. The only way you wouldn't have to pay anything in the addition to the $50 is if your deviation costs the same or less than what they had originally quoted you (they don't give refunds if the deviation is cheaper). I would call NCL up and make sure they actually give you an air deviation and to make sure there are no unexpected charges to your account.

When were you told this? Less than two weeks ago we paid NCL an air deviation fee for a cruise in the fall. We were quoted the price of air add on. I asked about Premium Air. Paid the $50 per person and that's it. They're going to try and meet our requests. There was no mention of paying some kind of price difference and I've never heard that in the past. :confused:

Cecilia, I booked my cruise about 2 weeks ago, so it had to be about a week or two before that. The woman said that NCL is essentially doing the "work" for us and they can't guarantee the price of the flight. I asked if it would be the same price and she said "oh no".:(

Archived