Miami Hotel Nightmare

A heads-up for all that plan to stay at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami.

This hotel probably has the most arrogant front desk employees that we've ever met. Check-in is supposed to be at 3pm if you get your room by 4pm consider playing the lottery....it your lucky day. Breakfast buffet was ok....dinner was awful......food under cooked(soft pink chicken), not what was ordered....just plain bad. My wife and 4 other people were stuck on the 3rd floor in a broken elevator for almost 20 minutes before employees pried open the doors. They were then sent to the stairway to go down to the lobby. Again all 5 were now TRAPPED in the stairway because none of the doors (on any floor) would open from the inside. After 15 minutes of pounding and yelling at the doors they were finally let out by a person heading toward the pool that heard them. They then proceeded to the front desk to speak with the manager. The manager was worse than could be imagined, rude, arrogant and total disrespectful. One of them asked to see the elevator inspection report and was told "it is not available to patrons because most are not smart enough to understand it". So in closing unless you are into being treated like dirt, don't mind being degraded, insulted and spoken down to, along with putting your life at risk in the event of a real emergency..........then you need to look at other hotels.....STAY AWAY!!!!! A further walk to the Bayside Market is more than worth the issues at this hotel.

I have posted in the past about the rudeness of the personnel working at this hotel, but not sure many believed me. The elevators seem to be a common problem at this hotel also.

I plan on staying at the Intercontinental, where they will acknowledge the fact that I am a priority club member. As long as people continue to stay at the Holiday Inn, they have no reason to change a thing, except for the ever increasing room rates:rolleyes: .

Sorry you experienced what we did.

What an awful story.

It makes me wonder what will be done if ever (hopefully never) a fire breaks out in that hotel!!!!

I have posted in the past about the rudeness of the personnel working at this hotel, but not sure many believed me. The elevators seem to be a common problem at this hotel also.

I plan on staying at the Intercontinental, where they will acknowledge the fact that I am a priority club member. As long as people continue to stay at the Holiday Inn, they have no reason to change a thing, except for the ever increasing room rates:rolleyes: .

Sorry you experienced what we did.

I would contact the head office of Holiday Inn. They need to know how this property is not giving the customer the Holiday Inn quality.

Sorry about your experience, but a word of advice: you get what you pay for. These boards are so helpful and what I have learned from the few cruise cruises and land trips I've taken, is that in high tourist areas, you absoulutely get what you pay for. Hopefully others will learn from this and think twice before booking here. I'll be my third time in Miami this October and were staying at the Mandarin Oriental. I'd rather pay more and get excellent service so I can start my cruise off right and without disappointment and aggravation. :D

We stayed at this Holiday Inn the night of June 29th, since we were taking a cruise on the Majesty of the Seas the next day.

My experience: it was ok. Check-in was very quick. Room: decent enough. Enjoyed walking across the street to the Bayside Mall and having drinks and dinner. We did not eat at the hotel at all.

Check-out: since I had put the room on a credit card, I simply dropped off the key and left. Taxi's were out front at all times, so we quickly were enroute to the ship. Taxi fare was $7.70 (meter).

The elevators: worked for us, but did seem very slow. It is obviously an older hotel.

For our next cruise out of Miami I would have no hesitation in staying here again. However, my expectations were low to begin with. I wanted to be close to the ship and to have some fun at the mall the night before.

Sorry about your experience, but a word of advice: you get what you pay for. These boards are so helpful and what I have learned from the few cruise cruises and land trips I've taken, is that in high tourist areas, you absoulutely get what you pay for. Hopefully others will learn from this and think twice before booking here. I'll be my third time in Miami this October and were staying at the Mandarin Oriental. I'd rather pay more and get excellent service so I can start my cruise off right and without disappointment and aggravation. :D

I LOVE the Mandarin Oriental! It has a fantastic spa and the restaurant Azul is fantastic! I'm jealous!

Since we have a non refundable room booked. I guess we will stay there the one night before our cruise.

I think what we will do is have one of us on either side of the stairwell doors if the are locked so you can't get back into the hotel I will call the fire department and see how much trouble the hotel gets into.

Skitter

I would contact the head office of Holiday Inn. They need to know how this property is not giving the customer the Holiday Inn quality.

I received a survey from Priority Club 2 days after our return. I conveyed all of the information in the survey.

A more complete list:

1. Had a pre-paid reservation, and was told during check-in that they were full, and we had to wait and see if we could get a room:confused:

2. Only one working ice machine in the entire place.

3. Sheets on bed that appeared quite dirty and stained.

4. General lack of maintenance throughout the hotel.

5. Although the reservation clearly stated priority club member, staff did not/would not recognize. Perhaps because it was pre-paid and not refundable????

6. Was told while waiting for a room that we could not use the rest room in the lobby (locked and requires a room key to open). Employees were "too busy" to open the door for us:confused: . We had to walk a couple blocks to McDonald's to use the restroom.

There's more, but suffice to say *I* will vote with my wallet, and NEVER stay here again until things change.

I LOVE the Mandarin Oriental! It has a fantastic spa and the restaurant Azul is fantastic! I'm jealous!

Our last cruise out of Miami in 2003 we stayed at the Sheraton Biscayne Bay. Loved the Sheraton but walked down to the MO to the MBar for drinks. Fell in love with this hotel. Vowed the next time we cruised out of Miami this would be my hotel stay.

So excited becasue it is an awesome hotel. I like to start my vacations off right. I have an early morning flight so I will definately get my moneis worth. :D

I almost booked this place last year but after talking to a co-worker who stayed there I changed my mind. His bed was full of bedbugs. Now, I know this could happen anywhere, but after he told me about his experience, I went elsewhere.

Archived