anyone else willing to step out of comfort zone on cruise?

It's really funny, but I've been keeping my eyes open for "cruise fashions" when I shop at local thrift stores or less expensive clothing stores. So far I've purchased 3 things specifically for the cruise. 1 of them is a dress that I'd normally wear for a fancier event, but the other 2 things are way out my comfort zone.

1) a calvin klein black one-piece bandeau top bathing suit with black/gold belt.

2) a no-name (thrift store) strapless knee-length dress with a bold flower print in turquoise, brown, and eggplant (with white background).

I NEVER wear strapless things because my bust is on the larger size and Im a bit self concious without a bra, but my husband loves the black bathing suit on me and when I put on the dress and walked into the den my husband about fell over (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little but it was a more animated response than I've gotten in a long time for an outfit).

I'm still not quite comfortable in either outfit, and not sure I'll wear them around here, but I've promised to bring them and WEAR THEM on the cruise.

Anyone else step out of your comfort zone when you're cruising? if so... give examples!

YES! I found a multi-color (greens, browns, kind of an african print?) dress at Dress Barn before my last cruise. It's hard to describe, but it was definitely not something I would typically wear. The way the neckline and back are made, I can't wear a bra with it and I am NOT small chested! It's got lycra in the fabric and was more form fitting than anything I've worn before, but it looked pretty good on me (according to ehpride!) and was comfortable, too.

I also found a peasant type skirt in bright colors (orange, red, teal, black) that I wore with an orange tank top and black button up shirt. I tried the skirt on the other day at home and my smarty dh asked me where my commune was and if my VW van was in the driveway!!:rolleyes: (He doesn't like to cruise...):confused:

The way I figure, I will probably never see those people again, why not have a little fun with fashion?!

I have purchased a red beaded strapless dress at a local thrift store for $4.00 that I plan on wearing on our cruise. I have also purchased a mellon colored dress that is very revealing (no bra with this one) and I have all new swim suits( including 1 bikini, 2 tankinis, and 2 low cut 1pieces) that are more revealing than I've worn in years. I figured that since last year I've lost 50 pounds and I'm going to show off my new body. Hubby will like it. I still may have some areas that bump or sag but these I consider battle wounds that come with motherhood.

~Lisa

I can't believe I did it, but I went out and bougth a 2 piece bathing suit for the first time since my DD was born 5 years ago. After I booked my cruise back in January, I got motivated and have lost about 35 lbs. I still have about 10 lbs to go before I feel completely comfortable in a bikini, but I am going to wear that new suit!!!

I've lost 100 pounds in the past 16 months and that puts me down into a size 16/18 of which I'm extremly estatic about although I still intend to lose more. But, that being said I have alot more fun now with fashion than ever before. I love to wear the cute halter style summer tops, or the great little tank style tops with sarongs onboard for sea days and even on port days. I'm still a modest person for the most part, but I do enjoy fun fashions while on a cruise more than any other times. One of my evening outfits is pretty much backless and I love it!! It's a chocolatety brown, shimmery halter that drapes down low in the back. I have to admit, it shows off my favorite tatoo :eek: !

I haven't posted on here in a while but I could not pass this up.

I want to send out my congrats to you nalady on your 100lb weight

loss.

A wonderful thing you have accomplished and just sending you good

wishes along the way.:)

I've lost 100 pounds in the past 16 months and that puts me down into a size 16/18 of which I'm extremly estatic about although I still intend to lose more. But, that being said I have alot more fun now with fashion than ever before. I love to wear the cute halter style summer tops, or the great little tank style tops with sarongs onboard for sea days and even on port days. I'm still a modest person for the most part, but I do enjoy fun fashions while on a cruise more than any other times. One of my evening outfits is pretty much backless and I love it!! It's a chocolatety brown, shimmery halter that drapes down low in the back. I have to admit, it shows off my favorite tatoo :eek: !

WOW! 100 lbs, that is terriffic, I have lost 55 an thought I was really doing good, but seams you are doing excellent. Way to go!!;)

Wow! Congratulations to you! :)

To answer the OP's question:

No, sorry. I suppose my comfort zone is the same no matter what. I would wear the same things, casual, resort casual or "formal" in Baltimore or on any land vacation that I would wear on a cruise. ;)

I've lost 100 pounds in the past 16 months.....!

WOW! 100 lbs, that is terriffic, I have lost 55 an thought I was really doing good, but seams you are doing excellent. Way to go!!;)

55lbs. is a huge accomplishment in intself!! You ARE doing really, really good, keep it up! Nothing tastes as good as feeling thinner feels!!!!! ;)

loss.

Thank you, it's been quiet the journey, an emotional one.

Congratulations on the weight loss!

In answer to the original question, I do tend to wear fashions that are a little more revealing, or fashion-forward that I do in my every day life at home. Mostly because we live such a casual life style that I have no reason or place to wear super-fashionable clothing and would look very out of place if I did. So for cruises I wear some more fun, trendy pieces and show a little more skin (but not too much) than I do at home.

Congrats on the weight loss, wow! I have about 100 more to lost til my goal, and I'm down 23 so far. My short term goal is to wear a size 14 on my cruise in December (just got down to an 18 this week, which is the smallest I've ever been!), and that relates to the thread. I told myself that if I am in a size 14 for this cruise, I WILL buy a tankini and wear it. Who cares if I don't have the "perfect" beach body? The only people on that cruise that will ever see me again are my family, and they love me, rolls and all.

We tend to wear our regular clothing on cruises.

We stepped out of our comfort zone when we learned to dance the "dollar dance" on a Caribbean cruise. We are conservative old fuddy duddies and we were gyrating our hips back and forth and laughing ourselves senseless.

I need another cruise. Soon.

I too bought an outfit I wouldn't wear in everyday life. Can't wear a bra with it. It's a dark brown one-piece rouched bandeau top half and the bottom half is a full gaucho style. Then I bought these amazing metalic multi-colored BCBG very-high heels to wear with it. I love DSW - got these off the very back rack where everything is on clearance.

60 more days to go:D I can't wait.

Congrats on the weight loss, wow! I have about 100 more to lost til my goal, and I'm down 23 so far. My short term goal is to wear a size 14 on my cruise in December (just got down to an 18 this week, which is the smallest I've ever been!), and that relates to the thread. I told myself that if I am in a size 14 for this cruise, I WILL buy a tankini and wear it. Who cares if I don't have the "perfect" beach body? The only people on that cruise that will ever see me again are my family, and they love me, rolls and all.

Congrats on your weight loss as well !! 18 is the smallest I have been in many years, so I can relate. Best of luck to you, and happy sailing~~~~:cool:

I've lost 100 pounds in the past 16 months and that puts me down into a size 16/18 of which I'm extremly estatic about although I still intend to lose more. :eek: !

Good for you and congrats!

As for me, when I'm in shape, there really isn't a lot I will not wear except for anything too young. As far as revealing, as long as it is tastefully revealing I don't have any problems.

Congrats on the weight loss, it is such a difficult road. I am down 31 with 100 to go. I bought a new swim suit for my cruise next week and some dresses, but still conservative.

Be careful when shopping for those new sizes, I once lost enough to finally go back to the junior sizes and I bought two cute blouses, after wearing them I realized my breasts hung too low for the darts in the blouses! Age and gravity went against me!

My husband let me buy him a suit, he has never owned a suit, only rented them for weddings a couple of times. I talked him into it with a tie from his favorite football team. If he wears the suit long enough for a couple of formal photos I will be happy.

I almost cut my hair before the cruise, but then thoguht if I don't like it I will be hating all my photos. Better to wait and test it first.

Caly

I really do not dress differently on a cruise than at home and my comfort zone is pretty expansive:). I do, however, limit myself to more conservative options on business cruises than those I take for pleasure, especially when it comes to cocktail attire.

loss.

Lois - we've missed you!

Nalady98 - Congrats on your weight loss. Glad you're enjoying shopping for some new things to show off your figure.

I always wear bikinis when I'm cruising (and in the privacy of my own backyard). Yet at home when I head to the beach or the pool I usually wear a takini or one piece. I must be happier and more confident when I'm cruising.

I also seem to make more of an effort in my dressing when I'm on a cruise. Sometimes at home I dash to the store in flip flops, a tank-t shirt and skirt. Yet on the ship I'd never wear something like that to the buffet or down in the shops. I'd ensure I had nice sandals and a cute top on.

2 string bikini's (blue and merlot), :eek: and one beautiful white and blue halter neck bikini. Also I plan to wear a red strapless uneven hem dress(with a strapless bra). I'm looking at my first cruise as a GREAT time to play dress up!:D

Huge congrats on the weight loss! Enjoy it! You've worked hard!

I am pretty much *me* 24/7. I have a style that works for me, and I stick to it.

Now I will wear my more exotic or ethnic styles when I'm traveling...but nothing too off-the-wall from what I usually wear.

Yep..boring I know :p

~e

I am pretty much *me* 24/7. I have a style that works for me, and I stick to it.

I basically agree with this but I am never comfortable in a swimsuit I have a small bust and wide (bony) hips and I just feel awkward. Same goes for my formal dresses and I can't wear a bra with 2 of them, no way.

I have to dress pretty conservatively at work, so while I certainly don't go crazy, I enjoy a chance to dress in some nice CASUAL clothes for a change.

Jewelry is an area where I do go out of my zone a bit, I suppose. I normally have about 3-4 pairs of earrings, a couple of necklaces, and a few pins that I wear regularly at home. On a cruise, I might wear larger pieces (both "fun" and "serious" jewelry), and wear some bracelets that I normally leave off because they bother me at work.

Archived