call your credit card companys before you go

And be sure to tell them that you may make some large purchases because the may refuse it if it is over a certain amt.--find out what your per day/per transaction limits (if any) are. Same thing with Debit/ATM/Check Cards. I went to the Bank today and ordered another Debit card in case one gets retained in the machine, or lost, or (shudder) stolen! (I was told the second Debit card will have a different number, but be linked to my account).

Another poster said to be sure your PIN doesn't start with 0 ("zero") because some systems won't take it.

I was curious as to what would happen with my banks so I called on my WAMU ATM card and let them know about our trip, withdrawal amounts, blah, blah...and...I didn't call my BECU ATM card and tell them anything about the trip. Used both cards through out Italy, Greece, London and NY w/o a hitch. Good or bad at least they worked!

Another poster had this suggestion that I used last month for our Jewel cruise. In addition to letting the banks for your various cards know that you'll be overseas also tell them that you will be on a cruise and what city the cruise charges will be coming from. NCL was Coral Gables Fl. If the bank thinks you're in Europe and all of the sudden the ship is setting up your account upon checkin and the charges go to FL(for example) then you could be set up for a frozen account.

When I called my bank regarding this they did put a note on my accounts, but being out of the country isn't what flags it for fraud, it's when it's used both overseas and locally. So if you have anything that's going through automatically like payments locally and you're overseas...that's where there's going to be a problem and they'll shut your account.

Just a little heads up. WMU is having a major problem. In May they switched card providers and a lot of people are having major problems in using the cards. The bank claims there are just as good as the old ones but now they are MC and only work on Star network, which does not work everywhere. There has been a lot of discussion on Fodors and Slow Travel about the problems with this new card.

A word to the wise be sure you double check your cards status. Its no fun walking all around say Rome or Venice or anywhere looking for a Star ATM.

We traveled throughout Europe in May/June and had problems using our WAMU ATM/debit card on several occasions in France and Italy.

We'd also brought along our Credit Union ATM card as a back up and BOY WERE WE GLAD we did. Even though I'd called both banks before leaving home to let them know our travel plans it didn't seem to help. So I urge everyone to carry at least two different ATM/debit cards plus a credit card when traveling overseas.

I called all of my credit cards ahead of time to let them know. I didn't call my bank because I had never had a problem overseas withdrawing money. Big mistake, they froze my account and it was a serious pain in the @$$ to get it resolved!

Archived