Good Eats in Anchorage?

ocean.queen

There is a great lunch/dinner restaurant about 1 block or so from Captain Cook called Glacier Brewhouse or Glacier Brewery. It was recommended from hotel staff at Captain Cook and I was pretty impressed.

We totally agree with Coral! That was one of the best meals that we have had. (Of course, we were VERY hungry after flying all day) We actually ended up eating there twice. We had dinner there and then lunch the next day with our friends when they met us precruise!

Linda

Orso is really really good, Simon & Seaforts has good food and the best view, Humpy's has really good food (party atmosphere, good T-shirts and hats) and the best cosmo I have had in Anchorage, Snow Goose Cafe has amazing breakfasts. All are within easy walking distance of the Captain Cook. The Captain Cook is a wonderful hotel - great staff, really good workout area with a full size lap pool, huge steam rooms, and good showers with very upscale shampoos and conditioners.

Ocean.Queen.......

We stayed at the Captain Cook a couple of weeks ago. A two minute walk from the hotel is a little cafe called "The Muffin Man". We had breakfast there...it was awesome! They serve great coffee... and breakfast sandwiches on hearty bagels. Fruit bowls, etc... Very large portions. I highly recommend.

We ate dinner at a place called "The Snow Goose Restaurant". There is a brewery in the restaurant...and my children had homemade rootbeer. It was different and very good!

The food at the Snow Goose was also very, very good. I had a pasta dish with shrimp, scallops and halibut. Yum. I highly recommend, as well.

For lunch one day....we (only my husband and I)...(children were upset with this choice)...ate reindeer sausage sandwiches...from a cart along the streets of downtown Anchorage. I didn't like the taste very much. But, I was glad for the experience.

The hotel that you have chosen is very nice. Very large. A big Princess Hub..... :p

Muffin Man: 817 W. 6th Ave.

Snow Goose: 717 W. 3rd Ave.

I agree with Glacier Brewhouse. We ate there twice. I highly recommend the beer battered halibut and chips. Also, if you are a beer drinker- the pilsner was terrific. Expect a good crowd and a bit of a wait to be seated. We always took seats in the bar area and had no waiting time. Have fun.

Ditto on Glacier Brewhouse and the Halibut fish and chip dish - went there for lunch a month ago and the price was reasonable ! (their fish are fresh and juicy and cook just right - even the fish sandwitches are good).

just don't go to Sea Galley (pricy and no better than Red Lobster . :(

Also, anyone visiting Seward/Exit Glacier, try the Salmon Bake (wiht a sign saying louzy food, warm beer or somehting like that in the front) but the food is actually very good ! it's on the way to the Exit Glacier (on the right had side of the road as soon as you turn into the road leading to Exit Glacier)...

Hi -we were in Anchorage for 3 days ,and each day tried to get into the Glacier brewhouse.(We were staying at the Westmark across the street.) .There was always at least an hour and a half or more wait . We tried to make reservations one night ,but the first availability was at 9:45 pm . We had a good meal at Humpy's (just a bar) ,and also at Gwennie's . By the way -the Westmark Hotel was good too ,had a terrific staff,and balconies.

We ate at Sea Galley on "C" Street & 36th Ave. for dinner prior to catching our 11:30 PM flight home after our cruise on 7/2. I myself thought it was much better than Red Lobster. They have an all you can eat salad bar that comes with your meal that was very good. I loved their pasta salads. You can add 1/2 lb. of snow crab legs to any meal for $7.99. My husband and I both did this and had them bring them out as an appetizer. They were some of the best snow crab legs I've had in a long time. For dinner, I had a combo of Prime Rib, Fried Halibut & piced Shrimp. The Prime Rib & Fried Halibut were wonderful. The Spiced Shrimp was average. My husband had a combo of baked Salmon, Prime Rib & baked Halibut which he liked all of them a lot. Both of our meals were $25.99 each. They did, however, have cheaper meals. But we were spoiling ourselves one last time before coming home to the midwest. For desert we had a piece of Reese's Peanut Butter Pie that was outstanding. Don't rule this place out. Plus, it's huge and on a Friday night, we only had about a 10 minute wait. I've heard some of the more touristy places downtown can have 1 to 1-1/2 hr. waits on the weekends. Enjoy wherever you go. You can't go wrong with Alaska seafood!

My vote goes to Simon & Seaforts. From appetizer to dessert, we had one of the best meals ever there. Its just across from the Capt. Cook Hotel. It has a scenic view overlooking the cook inlet and some of the best seafood we have had in Alaska. It gets pretty busy, so advance reservations are recommended if you are in a time crunch. (We made our reservations several days in advance, for a Friday evening, with no problem).

We started off with a delicious dungeness crab dip appetizer. Then followed it up with a combination dinner plate of peppercorn crusted salmon with some kind of sweet glaze (guava?) and a hearty portion of succulent Alaskan King crab legs. Finally, we had their signature dessert -- a mixture of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries, served in a light, edible shell over a delightful pudding(?)(it really wasn't a pudding, but I can't remember what you call it right now. In any event, it was terrific.).

The dinner for two set us back about $100 after tip. But, it was well worth it. We have eaten there on another ocassion and had a wonderful dinner plate of three different kinds of prepared salmon (including a wonderful barbecue salmon) and dungeness crab cakes. It will not dissapoint you.

The hotel staff will definitely know about Simon & Seaforts. I have also heard positive things about the Brewhouse as well, though we haven't eaten there.

my vote for best breakfast goes to Snow City Cafe. We got there relatively early (between 7:30 & 8) and had no wait time at all.

This was the best breakfast I had on our cruise and tour - delicious "Uber Omelette".

It's only a couple of short blocks from the Captain Cook.

Most seem to like the Glacier brew house, but I find it way over priced.

My favorites downtown are Humpies (local name for the Pink Salmon), and Club Paris. Simon and Seaforts is good also.

If you have a car; Moose's Tooth is the best pizza I have had in a while.

Avoid most hotel restaurants.

Thanks Genessa...Now tell me what an Uber Omelete is ?????

it was one of many omelettes they had [and the one I got ;)].

If I remember correctly, something like a western omelette,(onions and green peppers) but with tomatoes and cheese. It also was supposed to have mushrooms, but they were happy to leave the mushrooms out.

Everything was really good, though, and the wait staff were all friendly.

Archived