These pics show a 15 degree list in relation to 30, 45 degree, etc.

GoodAsGold

by nature, people always feel about double the actual tilted angle you are at.

think of it this way. if the room you are in right now was tilted at a 45 deg angle it would be very very hard for you to stand, anyone who has roofed will understand this espectially on a 12 by 12 pitched roof. to stand upright in your room you would need to put half your weight on one foot on the floor, and half your weight on another foot on the wall. past this point (45 deg) is would be easier to stand on the wall rather than the floor :):):)

Thanks so much for the graphics. That looks and had to be terrifying!!!! Somebody said that doesn't look too bad. I'm thinking, when we are so accustomed to places in our world being mostly level: home, work, malls, streets, CRUISE SHIPS, it would take very little listing to wreak havoc. Especially so when this was middle of the afternoon when people are out and about all over the ship. SCARY! I'm so glad there were not more serious injuries or even fatalities.

Some people may not think it looks too bad, but it had to be a horrible experience. We were on the Disney Magic a few years ago, with a tropical storm near us and we were in 15-18 foot seas for about 6 hours. They were managable, but all of a sudden one higher wave hit us and the ship starting tilting. We were near the gift shop and you could hear thinks falling off the shelves. I can only guess, but it was probably only a few degrees.

Dispite how the picture makes the 15 degree roll look not too bad.

If you were on Deck 10 about 100 feet above the keel, you would move laterly about 25 feet. If you were way up on deck 14, 140 feet above you would move about 36 feet from the center line.

Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Ships are actually supposed to abe able to deal with up to 40 degrees - on paper. The problem with that theory is that furniture, passengers and other loose objects are not quite as good at it.

Fortunately when one conciders just how many ships are at sea at any given time this kind of thing happens extremly seldom. Like almost never.

Why it had to happen to those CP passengers? Sorry that is something I cannot answer (my connections to fate are not that good) but it will probably boil down to a failure of a part / chip worth just a few dollars.

The thing is, when you're in a storm or sailing in rough seas, you're ready for the ship to move around a bit. The crew takes precautions and puts away breakables, stack up the lounge chairs, people are advised to stay in their cabins or indoor public areas, and so on.

This came right out of the blue on a clear day right after leaving port.

Nobody was prepared for something like that.

Yeah, that 15 degree image looks about right. It felt like the 30 tho.

I can't even begin to imagine what you went through while this was happening. I was relieved to hear that no lives were lost.

Glad to hear you're not letting this stop you from cruising again. I'm one of those that would probably do the same. Even when viruses were going around on the ships, I told my husband, I would pack a bag in a heartbeat & not let this stop me from cruising. I know you can't compare those 2, totally different. I tell people I wouldn't mind booking a cruise during hurricane season, some look at me like I'm crazy. That's just me!

Welcome back! :)

Exactly. If I know ahead of time that we'll be expecting some "extra" movement, much as we do when an airline pilot warns us of upcoming turbulence....then I feel more prepared and act accordingly. If that means bracing myself or just sitting in a safe area, then at least I'm ready for the worst.

Trouble is, these pleasure cruise ships just don't have heavy items and furniture bolted or tethered down like you would see on a Naval ship. First of all, movement of the type that happened on the Crown is very rare (although rough seas and nasty weather isn't.) I realize that boltings things to the floor might not be practical or aesthetic on a beautiful cruiseliner. But, on the other hand, there needs to be a happy medium. When you look at the amount of unforeseen rolls/lists that have happened in the recent past, it might be a good thing to look at fastening things down more securely.

The thing is, when you're in a storm or sailing in rough seas, you're ready for the ship to move around a bit. The crew takes precautions and puts away breakables, stack up the lounge chairs, people are advised to stay in their cabins or indoor public areas, and so on.

This came right out of the blue on a clear day right after leaving port.

Nobody was prepared for something like that.

Guest YesitDonna

I think I myself have done at least a 30% list after a day at Carlos 'n Charlie's and I lived to tell about it! LOL

Groupcruiser makes the point best. If you're expecting it you can do what needs to be done to protect yourself. Right out of the blue is another thing entirely!

Tom

We had a 19 degee tilt on Rhapsody of the Seas in April (2nd)

It felt awful and lots of things were falling over. Drinks on tables even fell over.

We did not have any major damage as the ship was not as tall as the Grand class ships.

Troy

• 10 years later...

Thanks for the visual. We were on the Norwegian Dawn January 23 and in 16' swells when a rogue wave came up and caused us to list 11 degrees. Bottles, dishes, and coffee pots had been falling all morning, but this time musical instruments went flying on the top deck. Was never so glad as when those winds calmed down.

Thanks for the visual. We were on the Norwegian Dawn January 23 and in 16' swells when a rogue wave came up and caused us to list 11 degrees. Bottles, dishes, and coffee pots had been falling all morning, but this time musical instruments went flying on the top deck. Was never so glad as when those winds calmed down.

Why in the world would you bring a 2006 post back?

• Haha 1