'scuse me, will you do my back?

zotzer

As I excitedly plan for my first solo cruise this December, one really sticky wicket has crossed my mind: What do you all do about making sure sunscreen gets applied to all those unreachable spots? :eek:

Although thick-skinned about asking people to watch my things and keeping myself entertained, I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to ask a total stranger to put sunscreen on my back.

How do you experienced solo cruisers solve this little problem?

T

Ask a woman.....she'll understand. I don't wear bathing suits or skimpy clothes often...but when I've gone swimming with others....I ask a woman in the group and she'll do it.

Or maybe ask your room steward before you head out for the day.

Other than that.....I don't know what you'd do!!

I cruised solo last Feb in the Caribbean, never had a problem getting sunscreen apply to my back....Just Ask a smiling friendly looking person. No one ever said no. I did offer the people a wet wipe to wipe their hands afterward.-- Just in case they thought I had kooties....

Thanks you guys! I've been thinking about it, and if someone asked me, I'd be more than glad to oblige. I'm one who's happy to help people, but loathe to ask for help myself. Guess this will be a chance to grow.

As for asking the cabin steward....should he be male, would this warrant an extra tip, or would he be "more than" glad to do it?......LOL Guess I shouldn't go there on a public forum! :p

T

Problem solved! There is a new product out, an aerosol can of sunscreen. Banana Boat makes it. You can get sunscreen easily on your back without someone's help. Just me, but I would never ask a stranger to put sunscreen on my back. Yuck for both of us!

Thanks for brining this up, I've been thinking about this problem for my upcoming cruise. Last summer in Hawaii I asked the front desk people at my hotel to apply the sun screen to my back and they didn't have a problem with the request; I did, however, feel like a little kid because they stopped me each morning to make sure I had my sun screen on before going out to play. Obviously, they all received very nice tips.

I will usually take a few minutes to get aquainted with the people sitting near to me at the pool, then decide which one I would feel most comfortable asking. People are always willing to help in this situation. I've never had anyone say "No, I won't do that".

I figure, I'd rather go through a couple minutes of embarassment to ask for this than spend the rest of the week sun-burnt.

As mentioned above, if you ask a woman, they are usually very understanding of the situation.

Don't get too excited about the aresol spray solution. The wind will take it away before it ever reaches your back. (however, is a good idea if you apply it in your cabin before you go to the pool)

I did see a product at a local spa that was a devise to apply lotion yo your back. It was like a back brush you would use in the shower only you filled a small container with your lotion and this container had tiny roller on it. You hold the end of the handle & roll it accross your back. (unfortunately they were out of stock at the time). I'll do some research & see if I can find something similar on the web & post it here if I do.

Annie<-----doesn't like to have a sun-burnt back.

luvcruzing.....what do you mean 'shiny'...do you mean it felt greasy even after a shower?

I was going to say...if someone wanted to use the spray...it would be easier to ask someone to spray your back than feel embarassed by having them actually touch you....if that is what bothers you.

That is cute, gxchan, about the front desk folks. Isn't it nice when people are nice!!

When I was thinking of going to Hawaii, I was wondering what I was going to do about getting sunscreen on my back. Then I came up with an idea similar to the one mentioned previously. Fish stores sell sponges attached to a foot long stick. It is used to get aglea off of the aquarium walls. I thought that I would try using that (minus the algea!). As it turns out, I switched my plans and now I am going to Europe and I am not worried about sun on my back. If anybody tries this idea, let us know how well it works.

Judy

Oh, I like the fish spounge idea; it makes sense that it would work. I'll give it a try in October and let you know.

As for the Banana Boat sun block I found it irritated my skin, especially my face, and I had to toss it. I use a high number sun block and find the higher number blocks sometimes do that. However, Aveeno for Baby (45 SPF) is great for my face, although it is a bit thicker and more difficult to apply. It not only keeps the sun out but it keeps my face moisturized all day. If you pat it on, as opposed to smoothing it on, you don't pull your skin. A bit off point but I thought I'd pass that along.

I did see a product at a local spa that was a devise to apply lotion yo your back. It was like a back brush you would use in the shower only you filled a small container with your lotion and this container had tiny roller on it.

ooooo Annie....

Let me know if you are able to track this thing down. Sounds pretty neat!

T

I was going to say...if someone wanted to use the spray...it would be easier to ask someone to spray your back than feel embarassed by having them actually touch you....if that is what bothers you.

Another great idea!

You all are full of wisdom and creative solutions. So glad I asked the question!!

Thanks all,

T

I'd take an aerosol with me to the deck, and, after ordering a beverage, ask the waiter to spray my back. Won't take a second, and you'll probably tip him, anyway.... Can't imagine he/she'd say no....

Just my thoughts....

Paul

I used the aerosol spray on my Panama Canal cruise, and ended up going through 4 full bottles of it, and still managed to get a severe sunburn one day. If you are like me and burn easy, you are better off asking a stranger to apply lotion to your back.

I do find that with the size of cruiseline showers, I can usually get a good layer on my back before leaving the room by putting some on the shower wall and rubbing my back up and down it.

As I excitedly plan for my first solo cruise this December, one really sticky wicket has crossed my mind: What do you all do about making sure sunscreen gets applied to all those unreachable spots? :eek:

Although thick-skinned about asking people to watch my things and keeping myself entertained, I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to ask a total stranger to put sunscreen on my back.

How do you experienced solo cruisers solve this little problem?

T

I've cruised by myself twice (so far), and because I don't want some stranger rubbing their hands all over my back (even if they would...lol), I just buy the spray stuff. It sprays from all angles, so even a spray over the shoulder works.

• 5 months later...

So I am off on my first solo cruise experience shortly and while this may be a silly question I was wondering - what do others do when they need to have sunscreen put on their backs?

I can obviously reach most other places but what about my back? Am I relegated to always wearing a t-shirt so I don't burn? Do I ask the little old lady (hopefully?) in the next lounge chair to help me out? Do I 'rig' something up so I can reach my back? Do I start working on 'stretching' exercise so I can reach? Maybe those 'spray' bottles of sunscreen might do the trick (assuming I can accurately aim at the right area?)

I am travelling with a friend so I know at least in some instances I can get help - but what if I"m alone?

Your thoughts?

Frouf

I fry at the mere mention of tropical sun so I know your dilemma all too well. Try one of the new aerosol sunscreens (Banana Boat is one brand). I find the product has great protection, the coverage really good and the aerosol makes it very handy to reach all of those hard to reach spots!

Archived