'scuse me, will you do my back?

zotzer

Thanks for the suggestions - I was at the pharmacy today and found a NEW AND IMPROVED coppertone aerosol spray - says "continuuous action from any angle" - supposedly better than the pump ones (altho I have never tried those). 30 spf/waterproof - so I shall try that out and hope it works out!

Froufie

Thanks for the suggestions - I was at the pharmacy today and found a NEW AND IMPROVED coppertone aerosol spray - says "continuuous action from any angle" - supposedly better than the pump ones (altho I have never tried those). 30 spf/waterproof - so I shall try that out and hope it works out!

Froufie

The Coppertone continuous spray really is GREAT. I think you'll love it. It's not like regular lotion sunblock at all. I plan on getting the stuff for myself as well.

I understand your dilemma and never thought about it before. I've always traveled with friends and we always helped each other out with the sunblock. Guess I'll just be more careful this next time since I'm going solo! :)

This question was posted earlier on this board and one suggestion I liked was the fish tank cleaner (a sponge with a long handle) and planned to use it but in the last minute whirl before the cruise I forgot to pick one up. While on the cruise I used one of the hand towels, folded it in thirds length-wise, poured sunblock on it and pulled the towel (sunblock side on my back) back and forth, like buffing shoes. It worked!

I love solo cruising. Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto the towel buffing method, Ginnie. But easier using a beach / bath towel.

Should work as well for you sunbathers, snorklers, and beach combers as it does for us divers. :D

This question was posted earlier on this board and one suggestion I liked was the fish tank cleaner (a sponge with a long handle) and planned to use it but in the last minute whirl before the cruise I forgot to pick one up. While on the cruise I used one of the hand towels, folded it in thirds length-wise, poured sunblock on it and pulled the towel (sunblock side on my back) back and forth, like buffing shoes. It worked!

I love solo cruising. Have a great cruise!

...and the other day I found this 'applicator' - too cute! A plastic long curved handle - about 12-14 inches long? With a hand shape at the end - the hand part has a dense spongelike material on it - picture on the package showed individuals applying suntan lotion on their backs (and I did find it in the sunscreen aisle).

So for $5 thought I would get it - will be trying it out on my upcoming cruise (if nothing else maybe I'll just have a fancy new 'back scratcher'?)

Froufie :D

• 1 month later...

Okay good people, here's my 2 cents:

On my last cruise I decided I would go the "spray" route. Never again. First, I discovered that it contained much alcohol, so it stung when I put it on. Second, I discovered that it stained my clothes. Maybe a different brand will work better, but for now I am going back to lotions.

Actually I did learn one very valuable lesson as a result of my spray-on fiasco: Never take a personal care item on a trip that you have not first tried at home. Like my experience with the spray-on sunscreen, one never knows how one's body chemistry will react to something, so if I am going to have an adverse reaction I don't want it to be while I am on vacation.

Cheers!

Paul

Two threads concerning this topic have been merged. The posts now appear in date/time order on the one thread.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory to all!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

I used the Coppertone spray - 30 SPF - and I did not test it at home (altho that is a great idea). I had pretty good results - when i did it myself. First time I used it I had a friend put it on - and ended up with a bit of a red back!

Next time I did it by myself in my cabin - before getting dressed - yes you have to let it dry a bit - but it seemed to work for me!

Froufie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This thread is rather amusing...just thinking of people trying to come up with creative ways to lotion their backs has me laughing out loud.

With my first solo cruise coming up, this thread makes me thankful that I'm flexible. I can place my open palm on every part of my back, even between my shoulder blades!

• 3 weeks later...
With my first solo cruise coming up, this thread makes me thankful that I'm flexible. I can place my open palm on every part of my back, even between my shoulder blades!

:eek: Do you by chance perform with Cirque du Soleil?!

That's very impressive. I have short arms, so my fingertips will barely even reach, much less my palm! Lucky you!

• 3 months later...

For those who are brave enough to ask a stranger...would it make it easier if you took throw away lunch lady gloves and gave those to the willing...just a thought.

But for me I just use the spray.

I know this was mentioned in the earlier threads on this post (2007 I think?) but now there are no-rub spray cans of sunscreen that spray at any angle. They really work, and you can get all areas of your body without asking anyone to touch you. Many of the standard sunscreen companies make these cans. Just be sure to look for "no-rub" and "sprays at any angle".

I know it is unorthodox when taking a cruise to the Caribbean to come back without a tan (or burn in my case), but so far...~knocking on wood~...I've been successful at avoiding the sun on my cruises. One of the benefits of scuba I guess is that you are only out of the water for the surface interval and all the exposed bits I can easily reach with sunblock (since I wear a dive skin, even in the tropics, to protect against jelly stings or scrapes on rocks). I, too, can reach most parts of my back with one hand or the other, so the sprays work out well there too. I spray it on, and then rub it in a bit.

I'm motivated to keep myself from getting burned anymore due to an acute family history of malignant melanoma, and the fact that I wasn't so careful as a child in Hawaii and Florida...when I would suffer blistering burns.

If there are any ladies traveling aboard the Serenade of the Seas on Dec 12 I will gladly offer my services as an expert suntan lotion application engineer free of charge... No need to worry about a jealous spouse, as I will be traveling solo and single... Tips are always welcome. :D

Archived