Parallel vs Perpendicular

OuiOnboard

If you were researching a cruise itinerary where there is a higher likelihood of encountering extended periods of somewhat heavy seas (eg. t/atlantic,t/pacific), would you consider the orientation of the beds relative to the ship's long axis. Personally, we prefer our beds aligned perpendicular so that our head to foot motion in the bed is up-down rather than the "rolling out of bed" sensation that can occur when parallel.

Not a big deal we know...comments?

What a Great Question....

I never thought of that....

The beds can be moved either way?

I always have the twins made into a double but left in the same direction...

Facing the wall....

Has anyone changed the bed to face the balcony?

What happens to the end table and lamps?

I posted about this on Carol's C752 Crown thread. I did think of this on our first cruise because I could see out the window of our stateroom. I immediately thought I'd rather see the waves moving to the back of the ship. I haven't yet tried the beds in a non parallel position. But when we were again looking at cruises, I definitely was checking the bed set up. I didn't realize you might be able to move beds to a different wall. Then it wouldn't matter!

I didn't think of which way the ship rocks, but I guess it does rock more side to side than front to back. Hmmmm...I don't think I want to find out which bed position is best for rough seas! We had mostly smooth seas. When we did have rougher seas, it was at dinner and you could feel it, but it didn't bother me.

All I know is that I slept great on that ship, even w/ dh's LOUD snoring which usually drives me batty if I don't hit the hay before him! lol! ;)

Here's a thought. You might want to arrange the beds, if in a balcony room, so that you could see outside. Being able to see a horizon can lend a hand in visual orientation, when your ears are giving you conflicting signals.:cool:

I've been in cabins both directions, and, for me at least, it hasn't made any difference. The ship moves in all directions (rolls and pitches), so what may be best one night on one cruise won't be the best every night on all cruises.

It's true the new ships tend to roll "side to side" less than some of the old-timers. I remember two hurricane season cruises on the grand old SS Norway some years ago which demonstrated for me the advantages of a perp. over parallel bed orientation in really heavy seas, especially in higher deck staterooms on that ship.

Still, even on today's ships, I notice the rolling more than the pitching motion. It's not concern about seasickness that I speak of for me as I've never been seasick. In fact, I love "the motion of the ocean":I'm just moved more by one than the other.

While not courting disaster...I'm looking forward to our upcoming mid-hurricane season cruise on CB. YeeHaa!!

We've had cabins with both orientations. It never really made any difference.

It seems that balcony cabins most often have the beds parallel to the balcony. Insides and OVs appear to be more often perpendicular to the long axis.

In rough seas I think I would want to be perpendicular.

Charlie

In rough seas, being perpendicular makes you roll head to toe and that's called pitching. Do I have that correct?

Okay, off to see which way our balcony cabin beds face. I think they are parallel. Hope they move! Better yet, I hope there isn't a need for me to have them moved to perpendicular!

In rough seas, being perpendicular makes you roll head to toe and that's called pitching. Do I have that correct?

Okay, off to see which way our balcony cabin beds face. I think they are parallel. Hope they move! Better yet, I hope there isn't a need for me to have them moved to perpendicular!

mdmom,

It is not a great big deal on modern cruiseships. The beds don't move in that way, to my knowledge. The pitching is from up-down movement of the front-back of the ship. To me,the pitching is less noticeable than the side to side rolling: thus I prefer perp. because I like the roll head to toe better.

If you are concerned about seasickness from heavy seas, I think perp. is better also.

I posted about this on Carol's C752 Crown thread. I did think of this on our first cruise because I could see out the window of our stateroom. I immediately thought I'd rather see the waves moving to the back of the ship. I haven't yet tried the beds in a non parallel position. But when we were again looking at cruises, I definitely was checking the bed set up. I didn't realize you might be able to move beds to a different wall. Then it wouldn't matter!

I didn't think of which way the ship rocks, but I guess it does rock more side to side than front to back. Hmmmm...I don't think I want to find out which bed position is best for rough seas! We had mostly smooth seas. When we did have rougher seas, it was at dinner and you could feel it, but it didn't bother me.

All I know is that I slept great on that ship, even w/ dh's LOUD snoring which usually drives me batty if I don't hit the hay before him! lol!

Yeah, and I thought that it was a weird question. :D :D :D

I have never experienced heavy rocking OR rolling on a ship. (well, except for "that" :)) I've never considered whether side-to-side or head-to-toe movement would be more distressing. Maybe get down on the floor and lie on the diagonal, to mitigate the extremes? ;)

Like several others, we have had beds both ways - and for my stomach, it makes no difference. Only been seasick once, on the little Golden Odyssey trying to outrun a typhoon, but the bed orientation would not have made any difference.

Like several others, we have had beds both ways - and for my stomach, it makes no difference. Only been seasick once, on the little Golden Odyssey trying to outrun a typhoon, but the bed orientation would not have made any difference.

Please read my posts people...not necessarily talking about seasickness here but not excluding it either....just talking about (in my case) deriving the most pleasure while in bed from the input of the ship's motion...if you know what I mean. Surely sleeping isn't the only thing you folks do in bed. :eek: Some people love the motion...some don't notice it much...some tolerate with the help of meds. I'm glad to be in the first group and within limits, I love heavy seas, especially at night.

But that's just me.

I brought this subject up with my husband after our first cruise in 2001. Of course he looked at me like I was crazy, but what else is new? I do suffer from motion sickness and of course my first cruise ever was in NOVEMBER during a hurricane. Bonine became my new best friend that cruise and we have been travelling together ever since.

Anyhow, I decided I liked being dragged by my head best (perp head to toe).That said, my last cruise and the one coming up are in aft balconies travelling parallel. I just can't give the aft up if available. I'll stock up on Bonine and gingerale and have the time of my life watching and listening to the wake...

I don't think it was an odd question and I immediately understood what you were getting at!

Archived