What is your best cruise advice to a newbie

bboydbride

Our honeymoon will be mine and my fiance's first cruise. We are going on the 12 night Venice to Barcelona trip on the Millenium. We have traveled Europe before but never done it via cruise. I would love some tips (and I'm not talking about for the honeymoon part....just cruise related) ;) Thanks!

Our honeymoon will be mine and my fiance's first cruise. We are going on the 12 night Venice to Barcelona trip on the Millenium. We have traveled Europe before but never done it via cruise. I would love some tips (and I'm not talking about for the honeymoon part....just cruise related) ;) Thanks!

If Pearl Kaufmann is still on the Millenium, make sure and go to her show. She is fabulous. Also, you will really enjoy Celebrity's M class ship. They are wonderful!! Absolutely do the specialty restaurant!!! It is worth the extra money!! Have a wonderful honeymoon.

You're doing it......research, research, research and use the Cruise Critic boards to ask lots of questions.

People on these threads know LOTS about cruising, Europe, the ports of call and all of the ships and they are all willing and ready to help out.

......research, research, research.

That was going to be my answer. ;)

Do your homework. Read these boards as often as possible and investigate everything. It will prepare you for any obstacles, possibly save you time and or money and at the very least you'll come away with a few laughs every day and maybe a new friend or two. :)

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!!

You are off to a good start---these boards at Cruise Critic are the best on the internet. Visit this Celebrity section often, and also go to the general Ask Questions board where there's advice about all sorts of general cruising things.

The other thing that is important I think for years from now is to make sure you take many photographs of the interior of the whole ship especially your stateroom, your table at dinner, and anywhere else on the ship that you liked and that you spent time and made memories.

You will of course be taking photos of yourselves at those famous places that you will be visiting, but if you take many many photos of the insides and the decks of the ship itself, you will always be able to remember this once in a lifetime cruise, even if you become cruise afficianados afterwards and sail every other ship on the high seas. Your honeymoon will be captured forever for you.

Congratulations and Bon Voyage!!

Leslie

Become part of your Roll Call and sign on for private tours with other Cruise Critics. We not only had wonderful tours and drivers but made life long friends (including a young honeymoon couple who were the only young folks with us and we loved it -so did they). Also introduce yourself to the Captain's Club Host and tell him/her that you are looking forward to becoming a member and are on your honeymoon and first cruise. Book another cruise with the cruise sales manager and chat with her...sometimes good things happen. Go to the party for honeymooners and anniversary couples and sign up for the Cruise Critic Party.

We did your cruise last year - it was amazing. Hope you're going to Venice early - a wonderful city and perfect for the beginning of a honeymoon. Staying over in Barcelona is lovely as well.

There's a lot more but you'll find it on the boards.. enjoy!!

Millennium, a great choice. When cruising, don't expect everything to be free or perfect; however, my Millennium cruise was near perfection. Great location on Lido deck aft to enjoy the wake of the ship and relax. Aqua Spa lunch is very different and tasty. Wonderful Martini Bar. She is one of my favorite ships. Enjoy!!!!

Don't feel that you have to have the perfect table and perfect excursion and perfect cabin etc to have a great cruise. Be flexible, laugh when the schedule goes kaflooey, and don't sweat the small stuff:)

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

I'm with WVUFan. Far too many times people tend to get caught up in the "what if's" before a cruise. What if this happens, what if this goes wrong, etc. You'll be on your honeymoon with the person you've chosen to spend the rest of your life with. Forget worrying about what will and will not happen. You'll be on one terrific cruise ship, eating great food, laughing with new found friends from around the world, visiting some of the best ports in the world. Sounds like one heck of a great honeymoon to me.

For some practical advise (and this is REALLY hard on this itinerary), don't overschedule. You can go from early morning to late at night on this intinerary, but be sure to take some time for yourselves.

Be sure to dine in the Olympic Specialty Restaurant one night.

Read up on the Cruise Critic REVIEWS section to see what recent cruisers have to say about this itinerary.

Laugh, laugh, laugh. With a smile you can deal with anything that comes your way.

Congratulations and Enjoy!

When booking M-class ships, book your air through Celebrity. Millennium class ships are wonderful but they sometimes have a "pod" (propulsion) problem. Heaven forbid something goes wrong and your ship is delayed; Celebrity will take care of you.

Few cruises .. NO cruise starts out as spectacular as sailing down the Grand Canal looking down at the city of Venice,

Congraulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon. You have gotten some excellent advice. I'll just add mine.

1. Read all of the information provided by Celebrity and I would go to their

web site as well. Their questions and answers are helpful. That way you'll be prepared for the cruise from what clothing to a variety of information.

2. Be sure that your TA has notified Celebrity that you are on your honeymoon.

3. The mediterranean cruises tend to be port intensive with many long shore excursions. Be sure to give yourself time to see those places that you are most interested in seeing but that you also give yourself time to relax. On the most part we tend to book tours that are around four hours in length but once in a while will book a very long excursion if it's something that we know can't be missed. But, we won't do two very long excursions on back to back days.

4. You probably know this already from your travels but I would recommend arriving in the city that you will be embarking from two to three days in advance. If you try to arrive the day of the cruise you run the risk of missing the ship should your flight be significantly delayed or even canceled plus you begin the cruise with jet lag.

5. The specialty restaurant on Celebrity is the best specialty restaurant I have ever eaten in on any cruise line. I would recommend eating there at least once and possibly twice. The service, food and ambience is outstanding. Be sure to make your reservations the day you board the ship.

6. Read the posts on this board and the reviews but don't worry about some of the extreme posts. For some people the cruise doesn't work out for whatever reason but for most it does and they continue to cruise.

7. When you are on the cruise just focus on all that is good. That way little things won't bother you.

Have a wonderful time. Bon Voyage.

Keith

I agree with Host Anne...don't over schedule activities. Our first cruise, third stop...in Barbados. We were exhausted and didn't get off the ship. Slept by the pool most of the day until we had our energy back. Never schedule more than one excursion a day...leave the rest of the day free and play it by ear.

RE Venice:

Don't be tempted to book a gondola ride through ship's excursions. Just pick one up on your own so you can be alone. It's not so enjoyable to share this very romantic experience with four strangers from your ship. And I bet if you tell your gondolier that it's your honeymoon, he might provide a more special experience than usual.

At sailaway, be sure to be up on deck! Maybe even get up there early to secure a prime rail-side spot. As a previous poster mentioned, it is, by far, the BEST sailaway scene you will ever experience.

This is a super itinerary. Very romantic for honeymooners! Enjoy your trip.

One thing that always is fun on the M-Class ships (from 20 somethings) is to spend time in the Thalassotherapy pool. Grab a towel and put it behind your head, otherwise the metal bars will start to hurt after a while. It is even better when the ship is at sea with the water shifting back and forth. Keep in mind that that pool will destroy your bathing suit, so don't wear a favorite one in there.

I second the suggestion of the Olympic. Have been there and Oceanliners (Constellation) and the Olympic was still the best. Book it early..

Don't sweat the small stuff. Some small things can and WILL go wrong on your cruise, brush yourself off, smile and just have a good time.

Even though it is a usually pretty expensive drink, get the sailaway special drink while up on deck and enjoy the ship leaving.

Yes, the spa treatments are expensive, but get a couples massage early in the cruise. Very romantic and it also helps to work out the stress of the travel to get to the ship. Helps you to completely relax on day 2 instead of day 4.

Make sure you tell EVERY person who is responsible for serving you (airline check in, cruise check in, matre'd, waiter, room steward, etc.) that you are on your honeymoon. Many of them will help you celebrate your honeymoon in their own special way.

Have fun, if you are interested in some pictures of the ship, check out our website under 'cruising'. She is one of the most beautiful ships I have seen. While I can't comment on any of the cruises on the other side of the Pond, email me if you have any questions on the ship (email on web site)

Hi, Bob

This is Bellebaby from your HAL May Volendam sailing. How have you been?

Instead of another Alaska voyage this year, we are headed out on August 26 to the Norweigan Fjords on the Century. We have sailed with Celebrity prevously, but not for awhile. Any pointers?

How's Point Roberts? I'm sure we'll make it up there one of these days. We have reservations on the Zaandam in May of '07. Maybe we'll get time to scoot out there then.

Take care.

B

A few light-hearted comments:

When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money." -- Susan Heller

In America there are two classes of travel - first class, and with children. ~Robert Benchley

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. " -- Mark Twain

"Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey." -- Fitzhugh Mullan

Fly in two days early, stay two days post cruise.(on European cruises we usually stay an additional 15 days; pre or post)

Use local transportation and wing it on your own! Smile, take chances, and avoid toxic/negative passengers.

Assume you will return someday, and don't try to do it "all" in one trip.

Research options. Take your ATM card. By experiences, not "stuff".

Try to get lost in Venice! Eat once in the Alternative restaurant. Take a nap in the solarium. Keep a small journal. Dress up, but pack 1/2 of what you think you need. Go out on deck at night and early in the morning. Find a crew member and talk to them about their home town. Use the stairs. Join your roll call on Cruise Critic. Buy a couple of photos of your formal nights. Have ice cream every day. Find a park, and watch the local children play. Hold hands. Laugh at yourself when you start to feel stress. Tip well and don't blow the whistle on your life vest.:)

Kel

Hey B.

The Point is grreat.

I haven't been on a Century Class yet. But I know you will find the X experience right up there.

Enjoy

We don't have anything else planned as yet. If you do return to the Pac N West give us a shout.

bbdoydbride,

Hi! My fiance will also be taking the same cruise (in reverse, Barcelona to Venice) next July for our honeymoon. This will be his first cruise as well. I would love to hear from you after you return to get any pointers or advice for some fellow honeymooners. Thanks!

-Liz

Also, can anybody tell me how much the drinks, lunch at the AquaSpa, other "non-inclusive" things, etc. cost? (or is there a place on the X website that discusses this?) Thanks so much! :)

Also, can anybody tell me how much the drinks, lunch at the AquaSpa, other "non-inclusive" things, etc. cost? (or is there a place on the X website that discusses this?) Thanks so much! :)

AquaSpa offers a free lunch.

alcoholic drinks are usually around $5.00+tip, wine double that, beer around $4.

Non inclusive stuff in the spa is costly for those who normally don't indulge.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/singleThumbTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000Vw1AYnnWt11YXIaoKC9SI7z:1028etq20?pagename=aquaspa_and_fitness&cS=NAVBAR

Hi,

Our travel agent told us to bring a second pair of glasses if we really need them. Think about it - if you lose your glasses on a ship, you really LOSE your glasses...:eek:

Enjoy yourselves and congratulations. Our first cruise was this April and we can't wait for our second one this coming February - on Millennium.

Dan & Judy

My normal advice to a newbie would be to put yourself in situations where you can talk to new people. To me, spending time with all the various folks has always been the highlight of the experience. However, you're talking about a honeymoon, so you may (understandably) be looking for more "alone" time...:p

Archived