Tipping

vavoom

Hi all- I just used this calculator to figure what our tips are supposed to be and it came to $136. I have to say I'm a bit taken aback by this because this is our first cruise and it's an issue I hadn't even thought about before now.

Does everyone really leave the attendant and waiter $50 at the end of a 5 day cruise? I certainly don't want to be a cheapskate or short anyone but ouch!

Can you add the tips to your credit card at some point?

Depending on how many of you there are, $136 sounds about right. You can pay your tips ahead of time if you choose. We always include ours when we book a cruise. Its much more convenient than trying to find that much cash in the middle of the ocean.

Yes, that is the customary tip. Believe me they are well worth every penny. If they are extra special we always slip them extra in a handshake on the last night. We have always had great service and never minded giving the tip and money is scarce at our house with a disabled husband who has brain and lung cancer.

Yes, you can put them on your sail and sign card(which is linked to your credit card) upon boarding.

Mary Ann

Tipping on cruise ships is a wonderful thing. The staff really work hard to deserve those good tips.

AIRC the "recommended" tips on RCI come to $9.75 a day for dining and cabin staff. Last time we were aboard, it was possible to go to the desk or any bar and have that amount charged to your sign n sail card. They gave you a voucher for each server and you just put that in an envelope and handed it to them.

I think it is $3.50 for the cabin steward, and I am sure you will believe he earns every penny!! It is so wonderful to never have to worry about your cabin, and have it spotlessly cleaned and picked up several times a day!

That leaves $3.50 for your waiter, $2 for your assistant waiter, and 75 cents for the headwaiter, or $6.25 per day. Now ashore in any fine restaurant you would tip a MIMINUM 15% for decent service. Basically that means you are tipping for $42 worth of meals a day. Figure it out! Any decent restaurant means you will pay that much for dinner alone -- not counting a great lunch and a wonderful breakfast. So the "recommended" tip is really much less than you would pay ashore.

And the service!! No surly waiters, no games about "who ordered the chicken?", no waiting for your drinks to be refilled, great friendliness and willingness to do anything you ask -- it just can't be matched ashore! I predict that by the end of the week you will love these guys so much you will want to ADD to their tips!!

You will love it. Have a GREAT cruise!

Tthe obove quoted rates are per person, don't forget! Most folks tip the recommended amount. If you had really stellar service, you should tip more. If the service sucks--and it usually doesn't--but it can happen, then you tip less, depending on how bad the service was! And you know--it's a personal matter. But it's good that you're thinking of it now! I don't think most people understand how expensive cruising can be! They hear they can sail for $450.00 per person (let's say) and they think that's all there is to it! They don't think about the alcohol, the tips, the excursions, the extras for specialty restaurants, spa, etc... You really need a deep pocketbook,even if you're getting a cheaper room!

vavoom - Welcome to the boards. Yes it does seem like a lot I remember my first cruise. Not that long a go and thinking owww when I heard about the tips. But as everyone here says you will be happy to tip these people by the end of the cruise! These people can and usually do make your cruise a very memorable experience! I am so excited for you going on your first cruise! Remember to hold onto your first impressions. I always feel like Dorothy in Wizard of Oz. Theres no place like home.. My saying is Theres no place like a cruise! Happy Cruising! :D

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all- I just used this calculator to figure what our tips are supposed to be and it came to $136. I have to say I'm a bit taken aback by this because this is our first cruise and it's an issue I hadn't even thought about before now.

Does everyone really leave the attendant and waiter $50 at the end of a 5 day cruise? I certainly don't want to be a cheapskate or short anyone but ouch!

Can you add the tips to your credit card at some point?

You can add the tips to your SeaPass account, which you pay off with your credit card.

You can add them in when you book or pay for your cruise, and pay for them before you ever leave shore.

You can do what I do: I figure out ahead of time the minimum for each person (waiter, asst. waiter, head waiter, cabin steward), and put the amount in a labelled envelope before I leave home, and pack these envelopes in my purse. I can always add more later, and I usually do.

Did you see Theron's tip calculator?

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

Unless the head waiter does something i don't tip him. usually he comes around the last night to shake hands and a hand shake is good enough. If I need him for any reason during the cruise then I would tip him. All the other people waiter, assistant waiter and room stewart are worth every penny of the $3.50 $3.50 and $2.00 you are asked to tip (Per person per night). When you add up your tips you go by how many nights (not days) to do your math. So an 8 day 7 night cruise you multiple by 7 for tipping.

So since you're on a 5 day 4 night cruise you'd tip $3.50 X 4= $14 per person for the waiter the same for the room stewart and

$2 x 4 for the assistant waiter PP.

Welcome to the boards........and I hope you enjoy your cruise and become as addicted to cruiseing as we have.

That said, yes, we tip that much when we cruise. And more for a job done very well, and with lots of extra effort on their part.

We enjoy all the care we have been given on the ships we have been on. We have been very fortunate and we try to make the most of the trip we are on. Smiles, being pleasant, asking nicely and having a good attitude does help to get good help.

I think you will see that the people who care for you and your family on the ship earn that money.

I guess I'm unusual because I always tip the headwaiter. I do usually have dealings with him/her since I have a serious food allergy to nuts, but I also see him/her helping out the waiters and know when things are running smoothly, it's because of his/her hard work.

For the OP: I just add this expense to my budget when I am planning a cruise. If I did a land vacation, I would expect to have to tip at the restaurants, bars and hotel. A cruise is no different. Except I think I end up tipping less overall than I would on a land vacation. HTH

We did the pre-pay tips for our December cruise this year, But I am a softy so if someone does something a little extra they are going to get a little extra ontop of the pre set amount :)

Voyager W. Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT 1688"

Voyager E. Caribbean 11/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

vavoom: think of it as eating in a nice restaurant every night, and you're leaving a tip for a great meal.

The room steward does much more than the maid service in a hotel, also.

I think you will see at the end of your cruise that the tips are well earned.

We have always considered it just part of the price of the cruise. We now add it to our shipboard account, and then give envelopes for extra cash for the extra service that we get almost every cruise!

Unless the head waiter does something i don't tip him. usually he comes around the last night to shake hands and a hand shake is good enough. If I need him for any reason during the cruise then I would tip him. All the other people waiter, assistant waiter and room stewart are worth every penny of the $3.50 $3.50 and $2.00 you are asked to tip (Per person per night). When you add up your tips you go by how many nights (not days) to do your math. So an 8 day 7 night cruise you multiple by 7 for tipping.

So since you're on a 5 day 4 night cruise you'd tip $3.50 X 4= $14 per person for the waiter the same for the room stewart and

$2 x 4 for the assistant waiter PP.

I think a lot of people are confused by what a head waiter is there for. If you have received excellent service and are very happy with the staff, you can bet the head waiter has done their job very well. The headwaiter is behind the scenes, supporting the staff and will usually only come out to the table for special service, or if there is a problem. Some of them find the time to come out and visit during meal service. Sometimes they are just too darned busy. They are the ones who train the service staff, make sure the food looks presentable, makes sure the tables are set perfectly. Without them, the dining experience would falter and be chaotic.

That he or she isn't at the table like the server and assistant does not mean they aren't doing something, they are working very hard. I think many people have the same opinion as you do and it is unfortunate. Having worked at a large restaurant/banquet facility, I know the hours and work these head waiters put into the job.

I just realized this was an old post, the OP already went on their cruise.

But, if the cruise was 5 nights, it would have been $97.50 for the two of them, 4 nights would have been $78.00. It's fine to tip more, of course, but if they are on any kind of a budget, this might be a little bit of a stretch for them.

They must have put the incorrect figures into the tip calculator. The recommended tip is $9.75 per day, per person.

Tipping is not only right and expected by the waitstaff, it is in most instances "WELL" deserved! In all of my cruising experiences, the staff have made me want to take each of them home with me, and they have made me miss them when I returned to the real world.

Yes, they deserve every penny...

And, when I stop and think about the amounts we tip per day, the minimums, then you can see it is really a bargan. Think about it, when I travel at the airport, We tip the cabbie or limo driver and the skycap. If we stay in any hotels we tip the bellstaff, and if we eat in any restaurants we tip there as well.

So to tip the persons who help to make the trip so memorable is par for the course...

I say tip 'em, and tip 'em well...at least the minimum...

Archived