Domestic and International Flight Rules-- 08/10/06

blackbird71

Again, if your entire trip originates in the U.S. on BA, and connects through BA on the same itinerary (considered a direct flight, even with a connection), the larger U.S. baggage allowance applies. Also, while this may not help you in the near-term, the carry-on restrictions will likely be relaxed once the code red is over. While it may not return to previous rules, it will improve over current conditions.

Denyse

I came back today from Minneapolis and I will concur with Denyse's report. I will add that I felt the lines and waiting was less due to overall less carry-on baggage.

I also would not want to put my laptop in my checked luggage, hopefully things won't come to that!

Matt, I agree that with less carry-on baggage, the security lines will be faster. OTOH, it was a slow process retrieving checked baggage, as there is alot more of it.

I guess the bad news is that, using the statistical law of averages, more bags are likely to become lost!!! :(

Denyse

It was interesting seeing so many small bags on the conveyor at the baggage claim!

Denyse, yes I agree and with the legacy airlines already cutting back on staff due to financial reasons, I'm sure they are feeling the pinch in the baggage handling area.

Matt, it's interesting to note that NWA flight attendants are looking for the right to strike--the case is pending before a Federal bankruptcy judge, and a ruling should issue early next week. The WSJ had an interesting write-up on Tuesday.

What next????????

It was interesting seeing so many small bags on the conveyor at the baggage claim!

Denyse, yes I agree and with the legacy airlines already cutting back on staff due to financial reasons, I'm sure they are feeling the pinch in the baggage handling area.

they also cut the ticket counter ppl with the online check in screens,,,, now they will need them to handle baggage. IMHO for a short period.

Denyse, I do know you are right about BA flights that are booked as one ticket. Unfortunately mine are separate tickets...one from Vancouver to LHR and back, and then one from LHR to FCO and Athens to LHR. I couldn't book a straight through using miles to upgrade since those seats were said to be sold out...this 10 months in advance! Our earlier trip in October is on American/Iberia so the weight restictions won't be as bad. Maybe by next April things will be better...or worse?

Kerry, last year I flew American Airlines for the Long Haul Flight but made my own arrangement for the BA flight which involved going on BA from London to Rome and on BA from Athens to London. Even though I booked the tickets separately because American and BA are part of the One World Alliance BA honored the Amercan Airline Rules as if I had booked this as one flight. I got the impression that this is up to the ticket agents at the respective airports.

Kerry are both your flights with BA even thought they are on separate tickets or is one with an affiliate with BA. In either case you could explain the background to the BA ticket agent to see if they would base your luggage as if you are on one long flight.

We have the same issue on our upcoming trip to Copenhagen. On the outbound flight as we will use American on the long haul portion and British Airways one way from Heathrow to Copenhagen. I'm hoping they will treat this as if we are flying one combined route. If not, we'll just have to pay the extra luggage weight charge.

Keith

Keith, all my flights are on BA, not an affiliate. I called BA a few months ago and was told that they would not consider these trips to be part of one and the separate baggage restrictions would apply. Then I asked how much the charge was for extra weight (not something they give on the web page) and was absolutely shocked. I can't remeber the specific numbers but you're looking a a coupld thousand dollars for two extra 50 lb bags! I also looked into luggage valet and similar private companies and although they are less, they're still quite expensive. I know for many people the convenience is worth the expense..for us it's just not feasible. In contrast to BA, American's extra luggage charge is quite reasonable. I did check to see if there was an alternative to using BA on the short hauls...i.e. london to rome and athens to london. Other airlines cost about the same but take 5-7 houses more. After a transatlantic flight, even one is business class, I really couldn't face that.

If you are flying point A to point C and have to change airlines at point B on any portion of your outbound or inbound journey, you or your TA has to make certian the airlines involved have a baggage contract / agreement with each other. If your airlines have this agreement in place then your bags will be automatically transfered. If your airlines do not have such an agreement in place, then you will have to claim your bags, go through customs and immigration if applicable, drag your bags over to the next airline's check-in counter and check yourself and your baggage in for the next flight.

If your airlines codeshare with each other, there will not be a luggage problem. Airlines that codeshare with each other often have dual flight numbers for the same flight and you can fly on one airline and get FF miles on the codeshare partner.

Personally, I prefer the airlines do the baggage transfer work for me. With the current situation, why subject yourself to the added stress and frustration and, not to mention, the wear and tear on your muscles due to the added weight in checked baggage from the gents toiletries and the ladies lotions, potions and perfumery? ;) However, I am aware there are other factors that weigh in to the airline and flight selection decision making process.

I

However, I am aware there are other factors that weigh in to the airline and flight selection decision making process.

Right $$$ :D One of my RCI lovers friends has booked the Voyager from Barcelona to Miam(?) but RCI wanted $1100 pp for air. She booked Virgin Atlantic from Miami to London for one way of $350 pp and her and her grandson will overnight at an airport hotel. She then brought London to Barcelona on BA for $60. So her air and hotel are less than $500 pp....

"make certian the airlines involved have a baggage contract / agreement with each other"

I am flying BA both over the Atlantic and then from London to Rome, Athens to London...all on the same airline and only a few hours apart in time, yet they tell me I will have to get my bags, transfer them and check them in all over again. The only reason I can think of for this ridiculous rule is so that they can subject you to the 1 bag rule for the second, short haul trip, rather than letting the 2 bags go through as for the transatlantic portion. Makes me wish for those long crossings of olden days when you came and left for Europe from New York!

I am flying BA both over the Atlantic and then from London to Rome, Athens to London...all on the same airline and only a few hours apart in time, yet they tell me I will have to get my bags, transfer them and check them in all over again. The only reason I can think of for this ridiculous rule is so that they can subject you to the 1 bag rule for the second, short haul trip, rather than letting the 2 bags go through as for the transatlantic portion. Makes me wish for those long crossings of olden days when you came and left for Europe from New York!
Kerryblue, BA's position makes absolutely no sense! :confused: I even went back and read your posts again. I think the reason may be your separate tickets for each leg of the journey such that the entire trip does not come up in BA's reservation system. If you are working with a TA for your air, ask him/her if they can link all of your flights in a single booking number in the airline reservation system (this may have to be done when the flights are intially booked - I am not sure) such that when the agent at the ticket counter pulls up your reservation, they will see all the flights and you will get the proper treatment with respect to your baggage.

If your TA cannot do that for you, your only options may be the Seabourn or another luggage service or bring and extra pound of patience and turn up your charm setting when you arrive at the BA ticket counter to check in for your flights. The last three years I flew Delta on a electronic ticket from Los Angeles to Atlanta to Madrid, Spain and from there to Tenerife Norte on Spanair (yes, they had a baggage contract with each other) with a paper ticket to embark on the Legend's crossing. By being patient and not demanding I was able to get my bags checked through to Tenereife. Last year my TA was able to get all my flights and pre cruise hotel on a single itinerary. Checking may bags through to Tenerife was no problem. The agent only asked to see my paper ticket to Tenreife. I always had my previous years baggage tags to prove they could be checked straight through, just in case. Then the agent noticed I did not have a flight from Tenerife to Fort Lauderdale and started to give me the third degree on behalf of the TSA which stopped when I produced my Seabourn cruise ticket for the crossing.

At least you have about 8 months to get your BA baggage issues sorted out. I wish you the best of luck getting our bags checked through to the embarkation city and back home.

After all this difficulty with BA, does anyone know if it's possible to trade BA miles for AA miles? I know it anyone knew it would be you guys!
Kerryblue, when you check in for yor flight, produce your AA Advantage card and you will earn AA miles for flying on BA. If you are asking if you can "transfer" miles previoulsy flown on BA from BA's FF plan over to AA, I am not sure. However, there are many Seabourn sailors that post here who are collectively, experts in all aspects of the Seabourn experience and someone will probably know the answer to your question.

Unless things have changed, BA will not give AA frequent flyer credit for the transatlantic portion. It will do so for all other routing, but not transatlantic. It's a competitive issue since AA flies the same route.

Perhaps Cashipman might be able to add some clarification here.

P.S. Two more flights, yesterday and tonight, that were astonishgly easy through security and onboard the planes. The problem now is the stacking up and waiting at baggage claim. This is the only area of delay since the heightened alerts (post-Thursday).

I know that on the short BA flights (eg., Rome to London) I give them my American Airlines Advantage Number and they will give me Advantage miles for the trip. I've learned that it's best to get this all set up before you begin your journey. So, when I make my reservations in the first place, I make sure that they update the reservation to include my Advantage number. I never use BA for long haul flights so not an issue I have ever faced.

In terms of transfering miles from one program to the other I doubt you can do that. Best thing is to call the airline.

Kerry I could be wrong but my understanding about the transfer issue is that I am under the impression that if you are even transiting through London right now that when you get off your plane that you must pick up your items and go back out and then go through the check in and security process again. Again, I could be wrong (not the first time). The BA web has lots of information so I would read through their web site.

Keith

I just went to the BA web site and they said that the British government has eased some restrictions introduced last week. They said they are awaiting clarification before they post the update so for anyone flying soon with BA I would keep up to date by checking their web site from time to time. The same approach is good for travel within the US. Good to check the airline web site or the TSA web site.

Keith

P.S. Two more flights, yesterday and tonight, that were astonishgly easy through security and onboard the planes. The problem now is the stacking up and waiting at baggage claim. This is the only area of delay since the heightened alerts (post-Thursday).

Thank you for your post flight reports and the reasurance since I will be flying domestically tomorrow.

I know that on the short BA flights (eg., Rome to London) I give them my American Airlines Advantage Number and they will give me Advantage miles for the trip. I've learned that it's best to get this all set up before you begin your journey. So, when I make my reservations in the first place, I make sure that they update the reservation to include my Advantage number. I never use BA for long haul flights so not an issue I have ever faced.

In terms of transfering miles from one program to the other I doubt you can do that. Best thing is to call the airline.

Kerry I could be wrong but my understanding about the transfer issue is that I am under the impression that if you are even transiting through London right now that when you get off your plane that you must pick up your items and go back out and then go through the check in and security process again. Again, I could be wrong (not the first time). The BA web has lots of information so I would read through their web site.

Keith

Keith, You are exactly right...that is what I was told by BA as well.

Kerry,

Another way that you can get the higher baggage allowance is to upgrade your inter-Europe flight (I presume to Copenhagen) to business class. I've done this before on BA when using multiple carriers, to get the higher baggage allowance. You may pay $600 vs. $200 for the flight, but it's probably cheaper than paying overage on the luggage, or using the Seabourn Valet service. You also get seat assignments in advance.

Just a thought.

Denyse

Archived