Domestic and International Flight Rules-- 08/10/06

blackbird71

One of my friends just returned and had packed two bottles of scotch in his checked baggage. When he arrived home both bottles were gone. No note, nothing.

Lefty Bob:(

Maybe the story had a happy ending after all. The chances were high that the bottle would have broken in checked baggage creating quite a mess for whatever else the bottles were packed with.

Keith

We took our first short haul flight over this weekend since the recent changes and just wanted to say on this flight that everything was orderly at the airport.

Yes, there is more to check for as you go through the inspection as certain items are allowed and certain items are not allowed. And the only other noticeable difference was a TSA inspector at the boarding area who would randomly pull passenger's for a second inspection before boarding the plane. And, after you first go through security if you should buy a beverage at the airport there are signs posted reminding you that no beverages are to be brought on the planes.

As we have done, we will continue to get to the airports early as one never knows whether the lines will be long or shore and we will continue to check the TSA web site for the most current information on restrictions and we now print it out because it can be difficult to remember all of the new rules.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Good news for those of us flying on BA! They have changed the cost for extra luggage/weight to bring it in line with other airlines. It is now quite reasonable and less expensive than buying a business class ticket. (Happiness is having enough clothes!).

Just flew BA from New York to London to Nice with 27 bottles of wine/champagne checked into the hold of the aircraft....every one of them arrived unscathed and ready to drink.

Regarding earning AA miles on BA transatlantic flights and vv...no, neither airline will allow the other's FF member to accrue miles on the transatlantic flight. An AA member can earn miles on a BA flight from, say London to Rome but not London to Boston. Similarly, a BA FF member can earn miles on a flight from Dallas to Esconaba, Michigan but not from Dallas to London.

Regarding excess baggage pricing...there was due to be an increase in the excess baggage charges effective travel in October, but I believe this is now under review and will be delayed

Regarding thru-checking of bags on a connection...BA will happily do so if:

1. BA are the originating carrier of the journey

2. The ticket is a thru-ticket from origin (i.e. Toronto) via a connecting point (i.e. London) to a destination (i.e. Mumbai)

3. The connecting carrier must be one BA have an interline baggage agreement with.

IF there are separate tickets involved, then BA will only thru-check a bag if the connecting carrier is either BA or a oneworld member. Otherwise it should only go as far as BA will carry it and then the traveller will need to claim it, clear customs/immigrations and then recheck it. Of course, BA would need to be the originating carrier.

Archived