Domestic and International Flight Rules-- 08/10/06

blackbird71

Myself I think this is BS but here are the new TSA rules.

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/whatsnew/default.jsp?story=20060810-1252

If you're flying soon, the rules concerning what you may and may not carry onto the plane with you just changed in response to the arrest in the United Kingdom of people accused of plotting to destroy aircraft bound from England to the United States by exploding liquids in their carry-on bags.

Find out the details of this thwarted terrorist plot.

Effective Thursday, Aug. 10, travelers are no longer allowed to bring the following items on board the airliner:

--All liquids of any kind, including drinks

--Gels

--Lotions and creams, including hand lotion and sunscreen

--Contacts may be brought on board in their cases, but the cases cannot contain liquid.

--Hairspray

--Toothpaste

--Shampoo and conditioner

--Liquid makeup

--Perfume

--Anything else that has a liquid or gel-like consistency.

Higher security means long lines and chaos in airports nationwide.

If you bring any of these items through airport security, TSA agents will confiscate them from your carry-on luggage; however, you may still place them in checked luggage. Some exceptions are granted for passengers traveling with an infant or small child. Baby formula, juice, bottled breast milk and baby food are allowed, but they will be tested by the TSA to ensure they are not explosives. Prescription drugs, insulin and some nonprescription medication are also allowed with proper identification. The new procedures cover all flights, both international and domestic. Currently, laptop computers, cell phones and other electronic devices are allowed, but that is subject to change.

If I can not take my laptop and camera onboard with me, I will cancel all cruises...

Cameras, cell phones, laptops, PDAs all electronic devices must be in checked luggage for flights in and from the United Kingdom.

So far they are not restricted on US flights.

bgood

Blackbird,

Just curious... Why do you feel the urgency to bring your camera and laptop on board the airplane? Just in case you lose your baggage,

Host Dan

Powerbook is $2,500 and Nikon D2H with lens are $5,500... :)

My main use for the Laptop is Photo work with my camera.

Saw this on the restricted list, and as sad as this whole situation is, it just cracked me up.

Mothers can bring baby formula on board, but only after drinking it in front of security officials first.

My question is: Will a supervisor have to witness the "drinking" and will the mom have to empty half the bottle to make sure it's "safe"?

I say we should all fly in our b-day suits, won't that speed up security?

And I am not cool with not taking my amazing camera with me and putting it in a check-in bag where sticky fingers can get at it.

Lets move away from cruises, what do business people do with thier laptop in their unlocked luggage out of sight at the airport. We always here of a laptop with hundreds of peoples personal information on it goes missing, this seems ripe for the airport personnel to run wild.

While I appreciate the extra precautions I think that if I buy the water inside the airport, inside the TSA security zone that it wouldn't pose a risk. I bet the airlines will start selling bottled water on the planes and rent out magazines now that you won't be able to bring electronics or even a book with you.

For travel wholly within the USA, airline baggage liability specifically excludes cameras and computers - if they get lost, stolen or damaged the airlines assume no responsibility or liability. Some carriers include this liability exclusion for international travel as well.

MB

here is the link :)

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2006-08-10-qanda_x.htm

Without all the crazyness that going on in today news cycle, here is the first major bomb plot with multiple airplanes. Oplan Bojinka. It was stopped in 1994 and Yousef the leader was caught by FBI team headed by John O'Neill who until he was kicked out of the FBI was on the trail of bin Laden and would die on his first day on the job as head of security of the World Trade Center. The Man that Knew... by PBS

I just now got off a plane from Seattle to SFO, and it was orderly and uneventful apart from having to check my carry-on luggage. Unfortunately, my eye drops were confiscated (eye drops: the new contraband!!!), which seems a bit ridiculous and over the top, but security was relatively swift. I'm flying again on Saturday, and again on Sunday,and will take virtually nothing onboard as carry-on luggage. Less is definitely better.

Domestic airlines are no doubt easier to maneuver through than international, and of course, there will be differences in security enforcement depending on the airport you are traveling in, but hopefully there will follow in the days to come a more measured approach to bringing things like medication, obviously sealed bottled water, and eye drops onboard.

Denyse

I just read that we ladies can NOT even carry a handbag flying out of the UK......everything goes in a plastic bag!

MB

The good news with BA is that they're relaxing the checked baggage allowance to include things you'd normally carry on...and giving you an extra 70 lbs to do it. That will sure help those of us using BA from the US and then again for the short haul within Europe...those short haul flights limit you to 1 bag per person!

The good news with BA is that they're relaxing the checked baggage allowance to include things you'd normally carry on...and giving you an extra 70 lbs to do it. That will sure help those of us using BA from the US and then again for the short haul within Europe...those short haul flights limit you to 1 bag per person!

Kerry, was wondering where you read about the weight information change for the BA flights. I was trying to find this same type of information on the BA site before I even saw your post but can't seem to locate it. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Keith

I just wanted to add that given what I have read the steps that were taken yesterday were and are very appropriate until all of this sorts out. While I wish I could take my camera with me on board the airplane, it makes perfect sense that they have restricted these types of items and this is really a nit versus ensuring safety of the passengers. We will survive without a camera and we will just have to pick up some disposable cameras. Safety should be the first priority. Yes, there are a few restrictions that I don't quite understand at this point but given that there is no guarantee that all those involved with this have been caught, being over cautious is better than the other way around.

And along those lines, I was very surprised several months back when some modifications were made to loosen the restrictions on what could be brought on board US airplanes. For the life of me, to this day I will never understand why they modified the rules to allow pasenger's to bring up to four packages of safety matches on board along with the llosening of other items. Seemed silly to me. If someone really needs matches when they get off the plane, give out free ones when they are leaving the airport, but no need to allow these on the planes.

Keith

Hi Keith,

If you go to the BA website, they have a box called "lastest disruption information". If you click that it takes you to several boxes..chose the one on "tips for passengers"...that will give you both the luggage restrictions and the info on taking the extra lbs in the hold.

Hi Keith,

If you go to the BA website, they have a box called "lastest disruption information". If you click that it takes you to several boxes..chose the one on "tips for passengers"...that will give you both the luggage restrictions and the info on taking the extra lbs in the hold.

Kerry, thank you for the information. If I read it correctly, each passsenger can check in two bags (second bag would be what was the carry on bag) totaling 70 lbs. Since I think that BA limits any one bag to 50 lbs. that would be one 50 pound bag and a second bag up to 20 pounds. Of course, if the second bag is above that then we'd pay the difference. Does that sound right based on what you read?

Thanks again.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I was reading it that each bag can weigh up to 32kg or 70 lbs, so we would be getting a total of 140lbs instead of the 50 before. But now that I write it I'm thinking that BA won't be that generous and you probably are right. If you're traveling just between the US and London, you get two bags at 50 lbs each plus the extra 20 lbs, but for those of us who are cruising and thus almost always need connecting flights, it was just one one bag. For me, one bag at 50 lbs is going to be terribly difficult. I looked into the cost of sending a bag on ahead but it is really a lot of money for those of us with less than unlimited resources. The really bad thing about BA is that their cost for extra poundage is exorbitant...way way more than any other airline. The good thing about BA is that upgrades take a lot less miles if you upgrade from plus which really doesn't cost that much more. We're taking BA for our April cruise but American/Iberian for the October one. Are you a regular BA flyer?

If you're traveling on a single ticket, from one BA flight directly to a connecting flight on the same day, I believe the weight maximum is the US 70 pounds per bag, not 50. That changes in October, but currently, I believe you get 2 bags at 70 lbs. each, through to your final destination.

Denyse

Here are the US Airways rules :)

Reaccommodation policy for travel to/from the UK

US Airways has temporarily amended its ticket and baggage policies for customers affected by the United Kingdom security changes. The excess baggage fees will be waived for customers who are departing to or traveling from the United Kingdom (UK).

They also list people that can cancel their tickets with no $$ on their site...

One strange point, no carry on from UK to the US But you can have carry on from the US to the UK with extra checking at gate:rolleyes:

For what it's worth, Rome Fiumicino is following the same guidelines as the UK for flights to US, UK and Israel destinations. i.e. non purses, battery devices electronics, plus liquids, gels etc. They also say nothing that won't fit in your pocket, but not in your pocket! carry it all in a plastic bag.

We're all traveling in EasyJet style!

bgood

For what it's worth, Rome Fiumicino is following the same guidelines as the UK for flights to US, UK and Israel destinations. i.e. non purses, battery devices electronics, plus liquids, gels etc. They also say nothing that won't fit in your pocket, but not in your pocket! carry it all in a plastic bag.

We're all traveling in EasyJet style!

bgood

Hi BGood - where did you get this info about Rome FCO from? Relations getting off the Legend in Rome tomorrow and flying to England but when I called BA they didn't know what the Rome rules were..!?

FWIW

Police free man arrested over plot

From correspondents in London August 12, 2006

ONE of 24 people arrested in Britain over an alleged plot to blow up US airliners departing from British airports was released overnight "with no further action", police said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20101359-1702,00.html

There is no way I am checking my laptop in to the cargo hold. We all know how bags are treated and I am not risking having it damaged as most of my life is on there (albeit backed up on to removebale hard disks on a regular basis. I have a flight out to Barbados in November to join a ship so I hope it all gets cleared up by then.

One other thing for UK flyers - you can take on board drinks that have been bought in the airport departure lounges.

Phil

Kerry, we are not normally regular BA flyers but do fly them from time to time. When we go to Europe and we cannot get a direct flight to a particular country we prefer to fly into London on a US Carrier and then many times we'll purchase a ticket on BA for the portion within Europe.

Today I actually looked a options to not fly into London for the outbound portion of our trip as we need to get to Copenhagen. But, we booked our long haul tickets around 11 months ago and got business classs upgrades and to change now is really not practical.

The good news is we still have a couple of week to fly and hopefully by then the overall process will be smoother. The flight that we are on a couple of weeks ago from London to Copenhagen was canceled today and I see tomorrow that while that one is scheduled the one after it is canceled. But, we will hope that in two weeks there are no cancellations.

Keith

Hi Keith,

We unfortunately did change to a BA credit card enticed by the fewer FF miles needed to upgrade with them. But with their doing away with any carry ons their baggage restrictions are just too severe...specially when your're going on a 2-3 weeks cruise and spending a few days in ports before leaving. So I guess it's back to American and starting over accruing miles. But who knew.

Archived