What to do in Skagway?

bunduo

There seems to be plenty of good options in Skagway. Should we rent a car from Avis and drive out to Emerald lake with Murray's guide? Should we go with the Chilkoot rail and bus excursion? Should we take the train up and back and then hike the Upper and Lower Dewey trail? Should we take one of the many water excursions out to the glaciers and see wildlife?

I have read a couple of bad reviews of the train ride. They say it's too expensive and you don't see a whole lot.

What do you all think?

-Matt

>>I have read a couple of bad reviews of the train ride. They say it's too expensive and you don't see a whole lot.<<

The WP&YR has been THE top-selling excursion in Alaska for most of the past century. With up to 6,400 people a DAY going on it, a couple of bad reviews is pretty good odds. If you have any interest in trains or history, this will be a highlight of your trip. Despite the fact that I wrote the highway guide, I'm a HUGE fan of the White Pass & Yukon Route, and will be on it yet again in the next few days :)

Murray

Yes, I LOVED the White Pass RR. I thought it afforded some magnifent views, including that of our docked ship from way up in the mountains. Lots of waterfalls to see, and we were even lucky enough (it was June 7th, 2006) to see 2 bears very close to the train, while crossing over the water.

We opted to do our helicopter/dog sled excursion in Skagway because the Juneau one is cancelled more than the Skagway one is. Our excursion was scheduled for 2:45 so we hiked around lower dewey lake in the morning. It's about a 4-5 mile hike to go all the way around and worth every minute. It's just beautiful and hardly anyone else on the trail. We took snacks and stopped a couple of times to just sit and enjoy the beauty. Have fun!!!

we are sailing out of seattle one the 24th of aug...and are already booked to do the rail and bus tour with chilkoot charter tours...they come highly recommended by previous cruisers...i got on their website...read about it and have been working with kathy pierce...i am very excited about this adventure..:D

We are sailing out on Vancouver on August 26th and have booked the Chilkoot Yukon bus and rail tour as well. I, too, have read many great reviews on this charter company and my DH and 2 DDs are really looking forward to in. They can't wait to see the Husky puppies and I looking forward to the beautiful scenary from the train. IMHO, I think the train ride (at least one way) is not to be missed in Skagway.

You can check out the Alaska boards for lots of great advise on tours.

Last year we did the White Pass Yukon Railroad and loved it so much that we are planning to do it again next year. The views are magnificent and it was so comfortable being on the train. We were on NCL so before the railroad we did some panning for gold. It was all part of the tour and although it was hokey, it was fun.

Next year we will be on Serenade and I don't know if the tour will be the same, but I wouldn't want to miss the railroad. We have seen pictures of Emerald Lake and it is beautiful too. I think it's a hard choice to make, but neither my husband nor I are into driving to unknown areas, so we won't drive ourselves to Emerald Lake. No matter what you choose to do, it's all glorious. And every day I think, gee, I never wanted to go to Alaska because it's an old people's vacation. How wrong I was.

Just want to add my and husband's vote that the train ride is not all it's cracked up to be. It was OK (4 on a 1-10 scale)...that's all... and way over priced.

Now we are VERY active folks. Our favorite excursion was the 3 hour glacier trek. So that tells you that we are NOT good sitters and we should have passed on the RR and just taken a 10 mile hike instead!

If you're in Skagway on a weekend, WP&YRR runs steam trains. It costs more, but it's a whole different experience. As you pass the diesel trains, the way the cameras come out and people come to the windows, you can tell your train going by is one of the highlights of their trip. The good thing about the run (at least in the opinion of this railfan) is the way the winding route gives you great views of the smoke belching steam engine at the head end when you look out the window.

If you're in Skagway on a weekend, WP&YRR runs steam trains. It costs more, but it's a whole different experience. As you pass the diesel trains, the way the cameras come out and people come to the windows, you can tell your train going by is one of the highlights of their trip. The good thing about the run (at least in the opinion of this railfan) is the way the winding route gives you great views of the smoke belching steam engine at the head end when you look out the window.

WOOOWOOO - http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/images/steamex6.html :D

and on the steam runs, they let you off for special photo run-bys!!

Murray

Okay, I am totally confused. :confused: We are booked with Chilkoot Tours for the WPRR and then the bus back. This is the major thing we wanted to do on this portion of the cruise. The cruise line was sold out of their excursion, so I booked with Chilkoot,,, and now after reading so many posts, I am glad it worked out the way it did.:D

I thought all the trains were steam. We are going to be there on a Wednesday, so what kind of train will we be on?

And really confused and feel dumb about this: I thought there was only one train that goes back and forth a few times a day. I am, now, understanding here, that it is many trains? So when we look out the window to see sights, we might just be seeing a train going in the opposite direction?

I am sure my DH would understand all this but he isn't into all this message board stuff.:rolleyes:

Hope you can straighten me out;)

Only 1 train is steam and it only leaves town on Saturday. The rest are all diesel - I don't know what the current locomotive count is, but there are lots of them. You'll see other trains passing (Wednesday is the busiest day), but it only blocks the view for a few seconds.

Okay, I am totally confused. :confused: We are booked with Chilkoot Tours for the WPRR and then the bus back. This is the major thing we wanted to do on this portion of the cruise. The cruise line was sold out of their excursion, so I booked with Chilkoot,,, and now after reading so many posts, I am glad it worked out the way it did.:D

I thought all the trains were steam. We are going to be there on a Wednesday, so what kind of train will we be on?

And really confused and feel dumb about this: I thought there was only one train that goes back and forth a few times a day. I am, now, understanding here, that it is many trains? So when we look out the window to see sights, we might just be seeing a train going in the opposite direction?

I am sure my DH would understand all this but he isn't into all this message board stuff.:rolleyes:

Hope you can straighten me out;)

There are several different train schedules. The rail/bus combo goes to Fraser, BC. The White Pass Summit that most cruiseline passengers take doesn't go quite as far. I believe the train usually uses a diesel engine, except for when the "steam train" officially runs on Saturdays and Sundays.

http://www.wpyr.com/schedule.html

Just to put my 2 cents in. Our family went in July and rented a car from Avis. Just walked to the car rental, no problem. We drove to Caribou Crossing. We stopped along the way took pictures of the scenery, welcome to Alaska signs and welcome to Yukon sign. The view was alsome the whole way. My teenage dgt. video tapped along the way when normally should would be sleeping or listening to ipod. My 10 yr. old son kept saying how alsome it was and how beutiful it was. We got to Caribou Crossing around lunch with buses lined up. If you wait or get a bite to eat, everyone was gone by 1:00 or so and we had the place to ourselves. My husband and dgt. rode the rv's which my dgt thought was a lot of fun. While my son got a private instruction lesson and then rode the dog sled with Michelle. They both kept playing with the puppies afterwards. We then went up the rd. alittle way to Emerald Lake and stopped by the smallest desert on our way back. For alittle over $200 total we all had a great time. Riding the train would of been more like close to $400.

Archived