Seating Arrangement Question

USNDiver

My Wife and I are taking our first Celebrity cruise in September (4 Day P.N.W.) on the Mercury, and am wondering how to go about getting a seat assignment for dinner. Is this something you take care of at check-in or at the first dinner? Any info or tips (no pun intended) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

My Wife and I are taking our first Celebrity cruise in September (4 Day P.N.W.) on the Mercury, and am wondering how to go about getting a seat assignment for dinner. Is this something you take care of at check-in or at the first dinner? Any info or tips (no pun intended) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave, seating is done prior to your cruise. Did you book with a TA?

Or directly with the cruiseline? If a TA was used, a good one would

have asked you the following....what size table do you prefer and

what time do you prefer to eat.

Tables vary...dueces, 4 tops, 6, 8 and 10.

The request by your TA should be been entered at the time

of booking.

If you booked through the cruiseline...the same information

should have been offered (are you and your wife 1st time cruisers?)

Main seating is in the 6:00 hour....late seating is 8:30.

Anyway...after you board the ship there is a card in your cabin

with your table number and time.

You can go see the Maitr'd after you board the ship and re-check

everything with him. They are usually outside of the dining room

starting about 12:30 day of sailing.

Hope this helps.:)

Hi Dave, seating is done prior to your cruise. Did you book with a TA?

Or directly with the cruiseline? If a TA was used, a good one would

have asked you the following....what size table do you prefer and

what time do you prefer to eat.

Tables vary...dueces, 4 tops, 6, 8 and 10.

The request by your TA should be been entered at the time

of booking.

If you booked through the cruiseline...the same information

should have been offered (are you and your wife 1st time cruisers?)

Main seating is in the 6:00 hour....late seating is 8:30.

Anyway...after you board the ship there is a card in your cabin

with your table number and time.

You can go see the Maitr'd after you board the ship and re-check

everything with him. They are usually outside of the dining room

starting about 12:30 day of sailing.

Hope this helps.:)

That definately helps, thank you.

Yes I arranged late seating, with a table for 8, with my TA when I booked the cruise. This will be our 1st cruise where we weren't with a group so we're curious about who (or what) we'll end up with as dining mates.

Could be interesting.

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave...you can also attend dinner the first night and if you don't have nything in common with your table mates, you can then request a change of tables. Chances are you will be fine with your assigned table.

Go Navy!

Just remember, and this is not particular to Celebrity, that you can express a preference, but you might not get what you ask for. Tables of two are especially hard to come by on many lines (and on Celebrity, there are some DOGS of tables for two....under the stairs, or by the kitchen door.) I'm not fond of the tables for twelve, but there are many of them. (although, sometimes there's an advantage in large numbers- you're more likely to connect with at least a few of your fellow diners.)

When you board the ship, the Maitre d' will be available to reconfirm things, often in the lounge right outside the diningroom. In the past he/she has always been able to give basic bio. info on the other guests, ie " a couple from Maryland, a couple from Ontario, and two men from San Francisco;) " or " "family of 6 from Florida, with two teenagers" While the first sounds good to me, I might pause at the second one...

While I wouldn't suggest "profiling" your tablemates, there may be some clues that might make you switch BEFORE the first night...ie, a table of 8 with the other six family members with young children...not my idea of a fun cruise to dine with young children, but that's just me:o (....that said, I've ended up at that kind of table and had a great time! And if you're ever traveling with kids or grandkids, it might be ideal!) I've also met that family of six, and they'd requested a table of six, and were dissapointed to have to share...in that case, run, don't walk to get your table changed.

But see what you can find out...and then go with a good attitude!

Andrew

Oh my gosh

Help please

I could not think of anything worse than sitting at a table with a family plus children. Done that, been there and now want to talk adult talk without the little baby throwing his dinner all over the place.

WHat do I do to make sure I am not lumbered with someone's else's darlings......???????

DO I call my TA and make sure he puts "No tables with children" MUST BE OLD PENSION DRAWING PEOPLE ONLY.....

My husband has 3 children from a previous and I have one 18 year old a look a like Jordan (who is lovely, dont all parents say that about their own)but seriously, I really want adult talk, not gobbly dee gook and also not to discuss the latest desiner gear that is in fashion that that Posh Spice is wearing.

Each to their own and my husband but I want ADULTS ONLY. I never thought that I could be placed at a table with "children".

We are on 2nd seating but I dont want to sit down on our first night to have to request the MD to change us and find NO THERE IS NOTHING ELSE so be stuck for 2 weeks.

Help me please.

Oh my gosh

Help please

I could not think of anything worse than sitting at a table with a family plus children. Done that, been there and now want to talk adult talk without the little baby throwing his dinner all over the place.

WHat do I do to make sure I am not lumbered with someone's else's darlings......???????

Help me please.

I have never had that happen to me on any cruise, ever. The ships really do try to match people on the basic levels and that includes having kids.

It is something that I would not accept either. You can confirm this by visiting the maitre'd in the dining room upon boarding and verifying that this is not the situation. TAs can only request and follow up but, ultimately, seating is done at the ship level.

I have had to request table changes several times and it was never a problem. I agree with Andrew that "run, don't walk" is the right thing to do. When I have not been happy, I excuse myself immediately and address my concerns with dining room manager. They have always been very helpful.

If your TA filled in the current UK Celebrity booking form it has boxes for the "Preferred age group" for table sharing. There is a box for 55+, so if your agent is doing his/her job, you should have no problem. I have just completed such a form and ticked the "0-17" and "25-45" box and so you shouldn't have any worry about the possibilty of us being on your table, and I don't have to worry about you being on mine.

Oh my gosh

Help please

DO I call my TA and make sure he puts "No tables with children" MUST BE OLD PENSION DRAWING PEOPLE ONLY.....

My husband has 3 children from a previous and I have one 18 year old a look a like Jordan (who is lovely, dont all parents say that about their own)but seriously, I really want adult talk, not gobbly dee gook and also not to discuss the latest desiner gear that is in fashion that that Posh Spice is wearing.

Each to their own and my husband but I want ADULTS ONLY. I never thought that I could be placed at a table with "children".

We are on 2nd seating but I dont want to sit down on our first night to have to request the MD to change us and find NO THERE IS NOTHING ELSE so be stuck for 2 weeks.

hi Josie,

I would not worry about it. Especially at 2nd seating. But, if it happens, just change it . Trust me you will not be the only one who has ever done it. I feel the same way. We have 4 children, and i adore them. But, if i am not traveling with my children I prefer to sit at an adult table with adult conversation. We have always requested a larger table and have met some wonderful people. At one time, on our first cruise, different line, we sat with a group of people that just never spoke to us, i would have been mortified to ask for a change of table, so we just stayed the way we were. Now, i know better.

Sometimes the first night or so the conversation can be stilted but by the end you have made some great friendships. Honestly that is really one of my favorite parts of cruising. I always, IMHO, feel couples sitting at a table for two are really missing out.

Nadine

Jarronwood

I've just seen another of your anti-children postings on the thread regarding childcare on cruises. You question why people should be able to afford to take their children when you were not able to do so. The reason is that, despite marrying young, we worked hard for ten years and then started a family only when we were secure enough to provide them a good home and good education. It just happens that it also brings good vacations. My children now love visiting historical sites (Vienna, Rome and Venice weekend breaks in the last year, in addition to the Eastern Med cruise ports) and are a lot less trouble than some of the adults on tours (such as the one on a recent Istanbul tour who spent the whole day trying to pesuade the guide to abandon key historic sites to satisfy her shopping addiction in the Grand Bazaar). Their impeccable behaviour at dinner on the Galaxy (including my 14 year old being persuaded into a dinner suit) was also in sharp contrast to some of the more elderly passengers whose impatience and pushing in queues (lines) made the poolside buffets and midnight buffet so uncomfortable.

I am surprised that you would begrudge hardworking and respectable families their rewards. I would not dream of questioning why "old pension drawing people" (your words) can afford luxury cruises when the British press is forever saying how poor pensioners are.

I can appreciate that you would not wish to share a table with children, but it is possible to express this in a less offensive manner - blazerboy expressed his sentiments most politely in his post.

Sorry for the rant everybody, but CC can often be a very hostile place for those of us with children.

Thanks for the compliment, Sarh...:)

I should add that I'm a BIG proponant of giving children access to these experiences, if you are able....as I GREATLY benefitted from these same experiences, starting at age four...but I was either at a table with just my family (at 4 y.o.), or well behaved enough to not bother other diners, from 10 y.o., on. That said, I think parents need to be understanding about the desires of others to have "adult only" time. My mother insisted on late seating for us, much to peoples' dismay, and I remember a few times that people weren't happy, and made their displeasure obvious. Rudeness, however, didn't solve the problem.... proactiveness with the Maitre d' might.

But I also understand the desire not to be seated with kids, and, as stated, Jaronwood, it's much less likely at second seating, so you should be fine. :)

The only thing I can add to my previous comments is that, if you find yourselves in a undesirable situation, such as eating with children (it is your right not to want to) or even sitting with me (yes, some people find a gay man more offensive than children:eek:!) please find a polite way out of the situation... don't gasp and cluck. Simply have a chat with the Maitre d', and then return to your (former) table, and tell a polite white lie- "oh, we were wait-listed for a table for two, and that nice Maitre d' was able to accomodate us- have a lovely time..." or "I hope you don't feel we're deserting you, but we've met some friends who've asked us to join them...we're sure you'll have more fun without us...." Smiles all around, no hurt feelings, and graciousness prevails...

Now, if we can just get some of the folks on these boards to model the same behavior, we'll be golden!:D

Andrew

The only thing I can add to my previous comments is that, if you find yourselves in a undesirable situation, such as eating with children (it is your right not to want to) or even sitting with me (yes, some people find a gay man more offensive than children:eek:!) please find a polite way out of the situation... don't gasp and cluck. Simply have a chat with the Maitre d', and then return to your (former) table, and tell a polite white lie- "oh, we were wait-listed for a table for two, and that nice Maitre d' was able to accomodate us- have a lovely time..." or "I hope you don't feel we're deserting you, but we've met some friends who've asked us to join them...we're sure you'll have more fun without us...." Smiles all around, no hurt feelings, and graciousness prevails...

Andrew

My husband and I would love to share your table; come join us on the Summit on Aug 26. :-)

In any case, you've given such wonderful advice here -- there is nothing wrong with asking to switch to another table, but so much nicer to do so with grace. And even if the tablemates you're leaving behind didn't show much interest in you to begin with (this happened to us on a previous cruise), at the very least you know that YOU are doing the right thing, and maybe setting a good example for them as well.

On Galaxy, sister to Mercury, we had a table for 4. There were a lot of large groups on that sailing and the larger tables seemd to be for them. Fortunately, our other two tablemates were very nice.

Jarronwood-be careful what you wish for. We sat at a table for 8 with only 3 other people, the "old age pensioners" and it was the worst dining experience of all our cruises. All they did was complain constantly about the younger generations and their own ungrateful, ne'er-do-well kids/grandkids and were unbelievably and unnecessarily picky about the food. ARRGGH! We WERE glad two of the other people decided to change tables. A very fussy lady who looked like a worse complainer than the others was angry about having to sit at a table by the window because seeing the ocean going by made her seasick. So she practically dragged her friend away to see the Maitre 'D to change tables. HELLO! It was winter in the Carib. where it gets dark by the time we eat and the draperies are down anyway.

Our first cruise was the best as far as dining with strangers who hit it off and had a great time all week. It was an international group with two Brits, two Canadians and 4 Americans. The "foreigners" and I have kept in touch with each other via e-mail for over 4 years. This June our British friends met us at our London hotel when we arrived for our pre-stay before our N. European cruise and after lunching with us and our friends from home took us on a wonderful walking tour of London. We had such a good time and it was wonderful to see them again.

On that cruise and our Alaska one we sat at dinner on the ship with our friends from home.

I am expecting to sit at a 4 table again, although we may sit with some local cruisers I've met on the roll call thread.

I wouldn't mind sitting with well-behaved children. Truly, we have been on cruises with hundreds of children and have never had a major problem with behavior. On the last cruise, I did mildly scold a couple of boys for pushing all the buttons on the elevator, thereby cancelling out our floor preference.

We would never have brought our kids on a cruise even if we could have afforded it. Our mindset is that cruising is something special we waited to do after our 5 kids were grown and gone and we finally had the money, sort of paying our dues. Our third son and his wife are going on their first cruise next month and NOT taking their kids.

I sometimes wonder if the young kids I see on cruises really appreciate the experience and what it costs. Surely the babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers don't. I accept that it's the thing to do these days and sometimes there is no one to leave the kids with, but is it really a vacation for the parents if they still have the responsibility hanging over them? To each his/her own.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

Davis0056, Jarronwood's posting had to be read in conjunction with her posting in another thread in order to understand my annoyance. I am "chilled", I just object when people wish to treat children like outcasts and then wonder why some of them treat the elderly badly.

I think it is a shame to discourage people from taking their children on cruises. Ok, leave the caribbean cruises with no educational value to the retired, but encourage families on the cruises which provide a real experience. My children will get a lifetime's benefit from having visited the classical sites and fascinating landscapes at the beginning rather than end of their lives. Also, I didn't have children to leave them with someone else when I go on vacation.

I don't have a problem with people wanting adults only tables (I would want the same if I were cruising with adults-only) -all I am asking is that parents are not driven from CC by the fact that any mention of children in a post leads to anti-child sentiment and a questioning of the right of families to cruise.

Anyway, this is now completely off-topic and so I'll leave it at that.

My apologies if I offended anyone in "mouthing off" about children - maybe I am just jealous of all you parents since I lost my boy at 2 years old through an accident (he fell down stairs at the child minders) and was on life support for 4 days before they turned the machine off.

I have a daughter now 18 years old and maybe its just being around young children brings back the pain.

My apologies.

Just wanted to add my thoughts to this board. I have never had a problem with the children on board ship they were usually well behaved. However, I have children at home and when I cruise they stay home. My daughter will be cruising with me in October and this is her first cruise and she is 19. Cruisers that bring their childern, more power to you, but I like to be treated like a queen and that is why I am on the cruise in the first place without my children. So I agree that if you are seated at a table with children to discreetly just change your table. On the other hand, there are adults too that I would not sit with. Like the ones who complain every night about something wrong with their meal. If I had my choice of a child or this type of person I would chose the child, Hand Down!!!

Just another thought to think about. Sometimes the kids on cruises not because it is a cruise but for a larger reason. For example, my extended family is going on a cruise this January to celebrate my grandmother's 80th birthday. She is so excited that everyone including her youngest grandkids (aged 10 and 11) will be coming. The cruise was a way for us to get together to celebrate with my grandmother, not as a vacation. Yes, it is a vacation - but it is a celebration more. A way for her to spend 6 days with all of her grandkids together which she has never had the opportunity to do before.

One other thought before everybody starts bashing every other age group on here. Four years ago, we were seated at a table of 8 - there were 4 of us (my parents and my best friend), a young pregnant couple from Philly, and a grandmother and granddaughter who live 10 mins away from me. On paper this looks like the ideal table. The granddaughter even knew one of my other best friends as they went to college together. However, the granddaughter and grandmother wanted nothing to do with us and refused to talk to us. The young couple at our table was wonderful and actually helped my best friend who was on the cruise obtain a job 2 years later when she moved to Philly (they were in the same profession).

Whereas on our most recent cruise, one of the families we became friends with and still keep in touch with had a 10 year old daughter - mind you the youngest in our family was 19 at the time.

So please do not judge people on their ages or that they have children onboard or that they are retired. Sometimes, people go away together bc they want to be together and it can be an affordable way to do it for everyone of all ages!

I read with interest all the views on cruising with children. When my children were around 12 and 15 and 13 and 16 we cruised the Mediterrean and they learned a great deal from visiting Italy Greece etc.

We dined each evening with our own family and whilst then in the 1980's not many young people were cruising from the UK we were never made to feel that our children should not be travelling with us.

Our reason for travelling extensively with your children (Safari's travel to the USA and Australia) was to do this as a family before our children left home to go to University etc.

They are now 38 and 35 and are grateful for the travel experiences they enjoyed and even more grateful that we had this time together. My husband sadly died aged 56 10 years ago and nothing can ever take away the memories we made together.

We would never have considered leaving our children at home and we enjoyed many years of travelling together after our children left home. We only know what we have today and have no way of looking into the future. Life is too short and precious.

Sue

Well said! I too have had the misfortune of dining with people who are rude demanding and who complain about everything! Their attitude to the wait staff especially left me feeling embarrased and ashamed that my fellow diners should behave so. I wonder what these members of staff must think of us.

It really costs nothing to be polite.

Sue

Just wanted to add my thoughts to this board. I have never had a problem with the children on board ship they were usually well behaved. However, I have children at home and when I cruise they stay home. My daughter will be cruising with me in October and this is her first cruise and she is 19. Cruisers that bring their childern, more power to you, but I like to be treated like a queen and that is why I am on the cruise in the first place without my children. So I agree that if you are seated at a table with children to discreetly just change your table. On the other hand, there are adults too that I would not sit with. Like the ones who complain every night about something wrong with their meal. If I had my choice of a child or this type of person I would chose the child, Hand Down!!!

Isnt that the truth !!!! Our last cruise we had a large roll call. one of the members organized seating in the dining room together. We had 3 tables ( same waiter )and so every night we rotated seats so we could chat and visit with everyone. It was great except for one lady who complained about EVERYTHING that was served to her. Got to be a riot- we actually played "rock-paper-sizzors " to see who had to sit at her table.

"the food was too salty- too glistening- too tough -too cold---tooo everything !" Her husband looked like this poor bedragled creature. One day toward the end the chef actually came out and admonished her. Our poor waiter , you could tell he felt like clapping

oh! Well..........

Sorry folks, I didn't intend to start a whole big thing about kids. Since I started this post I'll add my 2 cents about kids (and I'd be willing to bet I speak for many.) I would prefer to be around the well mannered and polite no matter their age.

Again, thanks for the info.

Dave

Archived