Queen Victoria Bookings

Keith1010

It's just the deals they offer are so incredibly better than that offered by our TA

Tell your TA that you've found the deal much better elsewhere - see if they can either beat it or give you something else that adds to the value of their package. They can also give you an opinion (although it might be unreliable) of your internet agent.

Don't look at it as playing one agent off against another, just giving your agent the chance to remain competative - a lot of places can offer better deals if they have to.

Thanks Karie., just the sort of advice Im looking for.... all our previous trips have been booked through agents, our current one who is very good is in New York. The internet company I'm looking at has apparently been in business 25 years and advertises their vacations on this board frequently... its just the deals they offer are so incredibly better than that offered by our TA which makes it so appealing and when you are considerring a 58 day cruise the saving can be astronomical though I am one to believe ..."if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is...! The funds paid apparently appear on your cc statement as paid through Cunard and we wont be requiring air from them anyway. Is there anywhere you can suggest to read reviews of particular agents you know of..? thanks for your advice...much appreciated...roscoe
Roscoe,

I have never seena page which reviews travel agents. I would think there would be too many of them for it to be really a meaningful page. I suppose you could try googling the name along with "complaints," or "fraud" or other "bad words" and see if anything pops up!

One reason some agencies can offer seemingly impossible deals is if they do a LOT of business with a particular line, or if they book a lot of group space (and hope to fill it) with huge discounts due to the volume they are doing. So it is not necessarily tru in this case that if it seems tobe to good to be true, it ueually is. Just make sure you know exactly what is included. Or go to your own TA and honestly say. "So and so, on the net is offering this, and it seems to be on the up and up. Can you match it, or tell me why I shouldn't book through them?" Give them time to get an answer. they may have to go to Cunard to see if they can match the offer- maybe a promo they weren't aware of. There is something to be said for a loyal customer, too. You are going to go out of your way, in any business, to keep your eyes open for special deals or something for a long time customer.

Good luck!

Karie

P.S. Your second line said, "Our current TA in New York is VERY GOOD" Are you trying to tell yourself something? Sometimes we really DO answer our own questions without realizing it. And sometimes, as the man says, A cigar is just a cigar! Just the way we word something may reveal what we were thinking all along, but it had not yet bubbled to the surface. Just a thought. I've been wrong before, will no doubt be wrong again!

thanks guys....much appreciated and as it has proven, great advice because I did inform my agent of the deal and got a note from them today matching the deal id been offerred and including an onboard credit. For the sake of a couple of hundred I wouldnt have worried about it but we were talking about several thousand $ off the brocure price so it was tempting....and your comments about having a person on the other end of the phone should there be a problem was a clincher! Just in the dowfinal booking stages then and Queen Victoria...here I come!

I did inform my agent of the deal and got a note from them today matching the deal i'd been offered and including an onboard credit.

Excellent:) - they've matched your price and given you an onboard credit:) (and an onboard credit's worth having at Cunard's prices!)

How much space will they release for segments - there wouldn't be a rush this early would there ???

I don't know about a real rush but we just booked the Sydney to Southampton segment and we couldn't get our first 3 choices of A-5 balcony cabins. My TA said several categories are getting booked fairly heavily.

Excellent:) - they've matched your price and given you an onboard credit:) (and an onboard credit's worth having at Cunard's prices!)

I'm sure you also feel good being loyal to a travel agent you trust, and I am sure that travel agent knows that you are looking around, and will scout out the deals for you on future transactions. Sometimes all you have to do is ask. Let them earn their commission, then reward them with your loyalty.

I'm glad things worked out for you. You might check in every so often (Since it is a long time away) and ask that they check to see if there are any new promos that might apply, or whether the rates have gone down even more. Especially before final payment is made.

And glad our experience helped you to get the deal you wanted with an agent you trust.

Enjoy your cruise! (And the anticipation of the coming months!)

Karie

One reason some agencies can offer seemingly impossible deals is if they do a LOT of business with a particular line, or if they book a lot of group space (and hope to fill it) with huge discounts due to the volume they are doing. So it is not necessarily tru in this case that if it seems tobe to good to be true, it ueually is.

One large agency in England, with a name well suited to taking the bookings mentioned on this thread, is actually almost entirely owned by Carnival. (72988 shares out of 73000).

Oddly, they seem to be able to undercut any high street agency!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived