when is spring break 2007?

xeena

"Spring break" runs for a period that starts as early as mid-February and lasts until mid-April.

In New England there is a winter vacation during the week of President's Day. By the time that's over the colleges are starting their Spring breaks. Those vary all over the place!

Elementary and high schools have their's at Easter or mid-April (depending when Easter falls).

Good luck finding a week in there when the fewest number of schools are closed. I'd say your best bet is late April. Too late for Spring break; too early for end of term.

I'm not sure of such a list, but I think it is getting harder and harder to plan when schools will be out of session. If you are just trying to avoid the college crowd, it might be easier. However, with many schools going to year round and other plans, it is harder than ever to figure out when places will be less busy unless you can go right after school starts...just my opinion though.

Pam, here's another thought---consider a 10- or 11-day cruise. There will be fewer kids of any age on a cruise that length then there will be on a 7-day cruise.

The Noordam does both length cruises until it switches itineraries.

thanks for the thoughts....we do want to avoid the college frenzy !! and may be getting on a Carnival ship (eek) since the prices are good and they leave from Tampa....we were on the Miracle last Dec and had a great time AND a blacony ! and visited ports that were new to us, that is getting harder and harder to do !

This Dec we are on the Amsterdam for a 10 partial Canal transit.....so another 10 day may not be in the cards. Sounds like late April is our best bet.....I think the Veendam leaves from Tampa too....we did that trip a few years back in Dec.....we loved that ship ......Port Canaveral is another short drive for us.....we are looking at doing something maybe last minute if possible to get a really good price !

i do think that there is a site that delineates most of the breaks....but google didnt know of it either !

we shall see............thanks again.

The site I've found the information on in the past does not have all the dates listed for 2007 yet.

I like it because it shows each college/university and the dates they observe spring break. I'll post the link as soon as I find a calendar that shows the dates for 2007.

Our kid's school observes the week before Easter and they are off as 3/30/07.

There are, I believe, something like 10,000 public school districts in the U.S. and this does not count private schools. Some of the better known private collges in Indiana give kids a week break in October, of all things.

To avoid kids, the best times are September-mid Novemeber, early December, mid January- February and May. While some schools do give kids the entire Presidents week off, I do not think enough schools do it to make a significant difference. And as so many others ahve posted, the longer the cruise, the fewer the kids.

I don't know about that, hammybee. The part about not a lot of schools having a full week in mid-February. In the northeast it seems to be customary. It's Winter vacation for a lot of kids.

I do agree that a 10- or 11-day cruise on the Noordam will have fewer kids than a 7-day cruise, but if the days work out right there's going to be parents who will keep the kids out an extra 2-3 days. And since the Noordam draws a lot of it's passengers from the northeast I think there's going to be some kids in mid-February. It's an easy hop down to Florida for those 7-day cruises.

I don't know about that, hammybee. The part about not a lot of schools having a full week in mid-February. In the northeast it seems to be customary. It's Winter vacation for a lot of kids.

I do agree that a 10- or 11-day cruise on the Noordam will have fewer kids than a 7-day cruise, but if the days work out right there's going to be parents who will keep the kids out an extra 2-3 days. And since the Noordam draws a lot of it's passengers from the northeast I think there's going to be some kids in mid-February. It's an easy hop down to Florida for those 7-day cruises.

Ruth, H

Of course you are right. Having lived in NJ, I am aware that schools in the NE have a full week off in mid February and I was surprised as anyone to learn, upon multiple relocations, that this is not the case, in majority of states. Then again, many folk accuse NEteners of not believing there is anything beyond the Hudson River.

Our schools will be off March 24th -- April 2. This question was asked last Feb, and here is the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=290800&highlight=spring+break+schools

Seven day cruises on Carnival, RCL, Princess and Costa will have the bulk of the Children. Celebrity and HAL will have some, and cruises 10+ days, will have the least.

Good luck!

Kel

i think i remember seeing a site listing spring break times in the US...we would love to jump on a last minute spring cruise but want to avoid the spring break crowds....anyone have a clue???

this site does not have its 2007 dates up yet http://interoz.com/springbreak/dates_2007.php

Some of the Florida Universitys Breaks

Univeristy of Florida March 10-18

University of Central Florida March 12-17

Florida A&M March 5 - 9

Florida State March 10 -14

Florida Institute of Technology March 5-9

Carol

The 2006 schedule I found was on tripsmarter.com - one of the guys posting on the Panama City Beach thread compiled it and posted it... it's still there.

I just wonder how much the colleges change their dates each year... our kids schedule changes because they are always off the week before Easter, but the public schools here in Colorado (at least in our county) don't vary much year-to-year and they are usually off way before Easter.

We wanted to stay a few days post-cruise somehere like San Marco Island, but I'm leary about booking something so close to the tail end of Spring Break. :confused:

With Easter on April 8, 2007 I wouldn't take a cruise in the Caribbean from March 1 through April 15 and never a 7 day.

You are about right on: yes, a few school districts will have a winter break but most will take spring break anytime from the first week or March til the week after Easter. With Easter early this year the crowds will die down early as well, opening better deals. We have cruised the last week or so of April a couple of times; it is the perfect weather and not many little ones.

NMNita

Archived