Book to read on board

rxmurphy

I do not read science fiction books but DH loves them. I would like to surprise him with a new book to take on our cruise in September. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Carol

Carol,
I would recommend any of the following authors and books.
William Gibson, Virtual Light being my favorite However, he is also author of the Cyberspace trilogy. If DH likes computers and such the Cyberspace will appeal to him.
Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash another great book. All of these mentioned so far are set in the not to distant future.
Neil Gaiman, great new book American Gods. He is also author of Neverwhere another good read.
If DH leans towards older Sci Fi pick up Isaac Asimov, anything by him is great but think about I Robot especially in light of movie coming out this summer with Will Smith.
William C Dietz author of Halo, the Flood . He also wrote Earth Rise which Indepence Day loosely followed. However, the book was much better than the movie.
Hope these help

[quote name='jennat']I am loving this board. I, too, read a couple of books a week and when I extinguish an author I am at a loss, so thanks for the new suggestions. Here are some others I enjoy.

Suzanne Brockman - writes about navy seals and a touch of romance (which is not my favorite) but her books are entertaining and you fly through them.

Stephen White - reoccuring character a psychiatrist is Boulder, Co

John Sanford, Faye Kellerman,

Also, Diana Gabaldon's books Outlander, Dragonfly in Winter...etc are fantastic. Kind of thick so not really for cruising but good, about a woman who accidently steps back through time to Scotland during the war ? and meets and marries and their life together. Not something I would normally pick up but it was recommended and everyone who has read it has liked it?!?

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions! Jen[/QUOTE]
Jen,
Love Stephen White (and of course Jonathan Kellerman) also have read Brockman and loved the Outlander series...though not my usual fare they came highly recommended and I wasn't disappointed.

Others you might like Tess Gerritsen, Iris Johansen, Karen Robards, Linda Howard, Jude Devereaux, Nora Roberts and some of the others I've already mentioned previously.
Cristin

For all mystery book lovers--I highly recommend all novels by Elizabeth George. Flawless characterization and plot development. Some have been serialized on PBS Mystery (if you watch that program).

All of the Kathy Reichs novels are great reading also. And don't forget Tami Hoag, another of my favorites.

[quote name='PJCruisers']Carol,
I would recommend any of the following authors and books.
William Gibson, Virtual Light being my favorite However, he is also author of the Cyberspace trilogy. If DH likes computers and such the Cyberspace will appeal to him.

Thanks for the recommendations. DH has his own computer repair business, so this is perfect. He is going to wonder how I got so smart, picking out good science fiction books.

Carol

One of my favorite authors is Patrica Cornwell. She's a former forensic pathologist and her Kay Scarpella series is great. Kay is a chief medical examiner in Virginia. Stories are fiction, but facts about this science is factual. Another favorite of mine is Michael Connelly and his Harry Bosch series about a Los Angeles police detective.

I have typed up alot of these suggestions on a text document. It is of course fatally flawed and grammatically incorrect, however, I am happy to share it to save you all the work of keeping track of all the books. Unfortunately, I don't know how to attach a word document. Anyone want to walk me through it?

Also, loved Winds of War/War and Rememberance, Shogun series, Far Pavilians, anything by Robert Ludlum, Clive Cussler, Dean Koontz......

I pretty much like anything that is not to "romancey" and that Oprah doesn't like. No pultzer prize winners for me. How pathetic am I!!!

Jen

Maybe I figures it out. Sorry if I left some off. I decided to do this after I had already read some and I was ...well...lazy. J :p

[b][color=darkred]Northender and Sue... [/color][/b]

[b][color=darkred]Black Opal it is.. I prefer a California Chardonnay myself but if it Australian you want, Australian you shall receive.. I will make sure it is perfectly chillled.[/color][/b]
[b][color=#8b0000][/color][/b]
[b][color=#8b0000]As for the tux, would you prefer a nice cut 2 button or a double breasted? I have both :) [/color][/b]
[b][color=#8b0000]BTW.. Your place or mine?? :D :D :D [/color][/b]

I just finished reading "An Embarrassment of Mangoes" - forget the authors name - Ann something. It tell's how her & her husband left their jobs and sailed from Canada to the Carribean for a few years. Also includes some interesting recipes she thought up along the way, using local foods. I found it in the travel section of the bookstore.

On each cruise, I've been trying to read a selection from Hemingway.

I'll have to second the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series. They're a fast read and really gives you some insight into a completely different culture (BTW, I would have never picked these books myself, but someone gave me the 1st in the series and then there was no stopping me!)

Angels & Demons was good - just remember it's been out a while, so it's available in paperback (even though the hardcover is prominently displayed at the bookstore).

Lullaby and Fight Club are good, too.(sorry, again can't remember the author - Chuck somebody). Wierd stuff, but good.

[quote name='AvMan']I have read them all and [b]Tourist Season[/b] and [b]Sick Puppy[/b] are my two favorites[/QUOTE]

Sick Puppy is my favorite Hiaasen too, Bob! I have enjoyed most all of the Hiaasens I've read, but none have measured up to Sick Puppy in my eyes. I wish Carl would include the character of Skink in more of his books! That dude is hilarious and never fails to make me smile (or guffaw).

I'm also a Janet Evanovich fan, though I try to make myself wait for paperback these days (don't always succeed).

Two of my other favorite authors are Jeffery Deaver (The Bone Collector) and John Sandford (the Prey series). Those are mystery/thriller authors.

Someone reccomended Tim Dorsey and I was half through "Hammerhead Motel" when I went out and purchased his other four that are now in paperback. He is hysterical and the books look at the underbelly of Florida.
For a great mystery anything by James Lee Burke. He has won two Edgar Awards and his Dave Robechaeux series is hard hitting and one can literally taste New Orleans. He used to teach college level English so he can spin a sentance quite well.

There are good books and then there are good books to read on a cruise. Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors (His latest is great) but don't take one on a cruise. I talked my husband into taking one on a cruise a few years ago and I couldn't get him to put it down. I was soooo ticked off at him that cruise because he didn't want to do anything but read!!! I vote for someone like Patterson that has very short chapters. You pay too much for a cruise to spend all your time reading. (even though it is one of my favorites things to do.)

[quote name='LARGIN'][b][color=darkred]Northender and Sue... [/color][/b]

[b][color=darkred]Black Opal it is.. I prefer a California Chardonnay myself but if it Australian you want, Australian you shall receive.. I will make sure it is perfectly chillled.[/color][/b]
[b][color=#8b0000]As for the tux, would you prefer a nice cut 2 button or a double breasted? I have both :) [/color][/b]
[b][color=#8b0000]BTW.. Your place or mine?? [/color][/b][/QUOTE]

Well it seems the three of us should meet somewhere in the middle;)
Now, I do love California wines, so not to upset the host, a nice Kendall Jackson chardonnay (2000 was a good year) would be loverly :) But, hey, I'm not really fussy, just as long as it is chilled :eek:

I have picked the wine, Sue picked the tux, you pick the place.
We are heading to the Caribbean next April 3rd, just need to decide the Star Itin or the Golden itin. YIPPEE!!!!!!! I'm spending it all before I go to the great beyond :rolleyes:

[quote name='Layla']One of my favorite authors is Patrica Cornwell. She's a former forensic pathologist and her Kay Scarpella series is great. Kay is a chief medical examiner in Virginia. Stories are fiction, but facts about this science is factual. Another favorite of mine is Michael Connelly and his Harry Bosch series about a Los Angeles police detective.[/QUOTE]

Kay Scarpetta is one of my favorites also. Waiting for the next one. I even buy these in hardcover as I can't wait for the paperback. What was your favorite one???:)

Also an Evanovich fan and also Nora Roberts. Also love Patterson and Grisham and Cornwell. Has anyone out there tried Nelson DeMille? I've never been disappointed in any of his books. My first DeMille book was Charm School years ago and I was hooked. Sue: I agree Body of Evidence was Cornwell's best. Lisa Scottolini is pretty good also.

Archived