Book to read on board

rxmurphy

I don't know what THE book is, but I highly recommend the Stephanie Plum series for cruise reading. The first book is One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. :)

They are about a Jersey girl who becomes a bounty-hunter to pay her bills and ends up in shenanigans with a cop named Morelli, a mysterious hunk named Ranger, an overweight hooker named LuLu :eek: and her grandmother, who just might be the funniest chaacter I have EVER read...and I read about 2 books per week! :D

Anyone who has read this series will tell you it is a PERFECT cruise read. There are 11 books out in it now. She has written up to ten with the recently released Ten Big Ones and also wrote a holiday novella called Visions of Sugar Plums.

VERY FUNNY! :p

Just finishing up howling my way through the newest Evanovich. I wanted to save it for the trip, but once I had it, I couldn't resist. Oh well, now Tish can have it for the trip. See you Sunday!:D :D :D Donia

I'm currently reading "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene. OK, maybe quantum mechanics and relativity isn't everyone's bag, but you never know...

Buffett (Jimmy, not Warren) is pretty good, too. Puts you in the right frame of mind.

I'm currently reading "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene. OK, maybe quantum mechanics and relativity isn't everyone's bag, but you never know...

Well, I'm rushing right out to get that one! Do you think there's Cliff Notes version? Aaaaarrrghhhh! Donia

As to your original question rxmurphy, I would have to say the must-reads this summer are The Rule of Four by Caldwell & Thomason and Ten Big Ones by Janet Evanovich. Make sure you read the Evanovich books in order though...otherwise you will get QUITE confused.

Other good vacation authors are Stuart Woods, James Patterson, and the ever-popular John Grisham. If you read a Grisham, make it Copyright pre-2000, though; I feel he is losing his touch...or his publisher is pushing him too hard.

Another IMHO post brought to you by:

I also throw in a vote for the Janet Evanovich books. Luckily last year I brought the entire series on vacation with me and I read them all in like 3 days. Now I'm as obsessed as everyone else!

Other great authors are Harlan Coben, GM Ford, Barry Eisler, John Gilstrap, David Baldacci, T. Jefferson Parker and the others (Patterson, Woods) mentioned above

Cristin

Since I have no self-control and have already read the new Evanovich, I'm taking a Harlen Coben paperback (No Second Chance) along. You're right, Jon, it isn't very cheerful reading, but, like you, I love the suspense! Donia

Janet Evanovich also has a series written wiht Charlotte Hughes, Full House, Full Tilt, Full Speed, Full Blast. Also zany characters. I enjoy those as well.

Tell no one was my favorite too! I also loved his Myron Bolitar mystery series before he started writing stand alone novels. If you like him you'll probably like GM Ford's Leo Waterman books (I'm not too keen on the ones featuring Frank Corso.

Cristin

Well, I do have My Life sitting here, but I'm planning to take the "shorter" (424 pages) The Only Way to Cross by John Maxtone-Graham on our transatlantic. It was recommended here on CC. I took it out of the library to preview it and then bought it on Amazon.com. I also have a couple of Bill Bryson's: Neither Here Nor There (Travels in Europe) and Notes From a Small Island (England).

For your everyday "chick" book there's Rosamunde Pilcher's Coming Home about WWII England. I've read it numerous times. :o

I have them all. Donia, have you read those? If not, I can bring them with me.

JON

Thanks, Jon. I've read a couple of them, but found them a bit disappointing after reading "the real thing". Didn't she write those before she "found" Stephanie? Anyway, don't weigh yourself down with extra books, but thanks for the kind thought. D.

I'm also a big Janet Evanovich fan -- read all her books that are in paperback. BTW, you can buy 'em cheap at a warehouse such as Sam's Club, BJs or Costco but I also buy 'em used through Amazon. By the time you pay the s&h, it's still cheaper than at a club.

Another author I like is Sandra Brown.

Well, I'm rushing right out to get that one! Do you think there's Cliff Notes version? Aaaaarrrghhhh! Donia

I'm just trying to figure out why the time between cruises passes so slowly, and the time during a cruise passes quickly. I'll be preparing a full report shortly. I know it has something to do with the thermodynamic stability of the universe or some such nonsense.

Archived