Book to read on board

rxmurphy

If any of you are into the 'chick lit' genre, Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic trilogy are the funniest books I've ever read! I could not put them down!

Confessions of a Shopaholic
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
Shopaholic Ties the Knot

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3]Hi EVERYONE! Thanks so much for all of these suggestions! [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

This thread really came at a good time for me. I'm recovering from an accident and have nothing to do but read and read and read some more. :rolleyes:

[SIZE=4][B]Has anyone read any of these books? Your opinions would be appreciated before I order them:[/B] [/SIZE]

[I]"At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig","Murder on the Marmora", "From Columbus to Castro: The History of the Caribbean", or "Death in a Deck Chair" .... [/I] :confused:

I'm definately going to order some that you all have already suggested on this thread .... so any additional and/or your help with the four above in question would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I would recommend Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys for those cruising the Caribbean at wonderfu book.
Jon, did you already read the Rule of Four? I just read an interview with the authors last night and it sounds like a great book.

There is a trilogy by Nora Roberts about three women that meet at a mansion and are asked to find keys that will unlock the mystery of Kane and this secret world.

I don't really know how to describe it but they are really good reads. I know Key of Knowledge is one of them but I can't remember the names of the other two.

[quote name='KUSydney']There is a trilogy by Nora Roberts about three women that meet at a mansion and are asked to find keys that will unlock the mystery of Kane and this secret world.

I don't really know how to describe it but they are really good reads. I know Key of Knowledge is one of them but I can't remember the names of the other two.[/QUOTE]Any Nora book is a good read! Key of Light, Key of Knowledge, Key of Valor.

Every spring there seems to be a new Amelia Peabody mystery by Elizabeth Peters. The latest is Guardian of the Horizon. It's, as always, excellent.

[quote name='AvMan']I have read them all and [b]Tourist Season[/b] and [b]Sick Puppy[/b] are my two favorites, but I also really enjoyed [b]Native Tongue[/b] and [b]Stormy Weather[/b]. I understand he is coming out with a new novel this summer, [b]Skinny Dip[/b], to be available July 13.

Happy Cruising,
Bob[/QUOTE]Just started [b]Hiaasen's Basket Case[/b]. Have read several of the others. They are always fun.

I am also a diehard [b]Stuart Woods[/b] fan. They are always a whirlwind ride.

The [b]Archie McNally[/b] series from [b]Lawerence Sanders[/b] are always good for a giggle too.

Read the original Archie McNally books by Lawrence Sanders himself - don't bother with the ones that were written by someone else (can't remember who) after Sanders died.

Absolutely hilarious!

Another good author is Gerald A. Browne. I don't know if he's written anything lately, but his books can be found in paperback at used book stores, thrift shops, etc. "11 Harrowhouse," "Green Ice," "18mm Blues," "Stone 588" - they all have to do with precious stones, and they're very good thrillers/mysteries. Just the ticket for a vacation.

And if you haven't yet read it, I strongly recommend "Sea Biscuit" by Laura Hillenbrand. The movie was excellent, but the book goes into more detail, is very well written, and it was very hard to put down. I read it on our last Caribbean cruise, and it was wonderful!

[quote name='Charpin']Read the original Archie McNally books by Lawrence Sanders himself - don't bother with the ones that were written by someone else (can't remember who) after Sanders died.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=4]Vincent Lardo [/SIZE] is the person writing the "Archie McNally" books now. Absolutely loved the ones by L.Sanders! Actually, not unhappy with those by V.Lardo. Fun "lite" reading!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='PJCruisers']I would recommend Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys for those cruising the Caribbean at wonderfu book.
Jon, did you already read the Rule of Four? I just read an interview with the authors last night and it sounds like a great book.[/QUOTE]
made the mistake of renting the movie before reading the book. apart from gorgeous scenery, I did not enjoy movie.

[quote name='OCruisers'][SIZE=4]Vincent Lardo [/SIZE] is the person writing the "Archie McNally" books now. Absolutely loved the ones by L.Sanders! Actually, not unhappy with those by V.Lardo. Fun "lite" reading!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe I should give Vincent Lardo's McNally books another try. I tried the first one, and didn't care much for his writing - but I've been a Sanders fan for years, so I'm probably just a bit prejudiced.

I am also a great fan of Tony Hillerman's Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn Navajo Tribal Police mysteries - "Coyote Waits" is a good one.

Another really fun writer is Donald E. Westlake and his Dortmunder series - "The Hot Rock," "Good Behavior," and "The Bank Job" are hilarious - funny mysteries that will keep you laughing.

While I do enjoy Evanovich, Sue Grafton's alphabet series is one of my favorite.

Other authors I enjoy are Kristin Hannah, Fern Michaels, John Grisham, Michael Palmer and my newest favorite author....Jodi Picoult.

Douglas Adams is always good - unusual but good. I think you have to be somewhat of a geek to enjoy these.

If you like older Grisham books, you may like James Grippando and David Baldacci. Two of my favorite authors. And I agree with the comment about Grisham's latest books - I brought his latest with me on my Dawn Princess cruise and I couldn't even get into it let alone finish it.

[B]Charpin .... [/B] Thanks so much for not taking my comments on the NEW Archie McNally's by Vincent Lardo the wronge way. Really, they do get better and better with each book.

We seem to like the same things .......... so will order one of the D.E. Westbank's books my very next time. Gosh, in addition to broken bones ... I have several fractured ribs so a bit worried about the laughter it may cause! .... :D

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo][B]Looking for Alaska [/B] by Peter Jenkins was an awesome book. Some really good insight into Alaska -- all parts of Alaska, not just the cruise ports. Can't wait to go again next year, with a new appreciation.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

For James Patterson fans...check out T. Jefferson Parker (a bit more noir you really get involved with the characters as well as suspense) or David Baldacci or John Gilstrap or Stuart Woods or Jonathan Kellerman or Harlan Coben or GM Ford or Barry Eisler (The Rain series of books are some of the freshest I've read in years but read them in order)
Cristin

Vince Flynn...absolutely dynomite political thrillers.

He's only written 4 books, but I haven't been able to put them down...oh..and you MUST read then in publication order...the characters follow previous story lines and you'll really miss out if you read them out of order.

Also...anything Clive Cussler or Tom Clancy

I am loving this board. I, too, read a couple of books a week and when I extinguish an author I am at a loss, so thanks for the new suggestions. Here are some others I enjoy.

Suzanne Brockman - writes about navy seals and a touch of romance (which is not my favorite) but her books are entertaining and you fly through them.

Stephen White - reoccuring character a psychiatrist is Boulder, Co

John Sanford, Faye Kellerman,

Also, Diana Gabaldon's books Outlander, Dragonfly in Winter...etc are fantastic. Kind of thick so not really for cruising but good, about a woman who accidently steps back through time to Scotland during the war ? and meets and marries and their life together. Not something I would normally pick up but it was recommended and everyone who has read it has liked it?!?

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions! Jen

[quote name='AvMan']I understand he is coming out with a new novel this summer, [b]Skinny Dip[/b], to be available July 13.[/QUOTE]

Hey AvMan, I was just reading on Amazon about Skinny Dip, and it is of course based in Florida, but on a Caribbean cruise! So, how very fitting for cruiseline reading, right?

-Spicey477

:D [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]My DH says I'm spending MORE on books (durning recovery from accident) than on medical bills! [/SIZE] [/FONT] :D

Please keep these good suggestions coming!

Jeffery Deaver - They made the horrible movie " The Bone Collector" out of an excellant book. Had the worst casting from a book ever! Read the book, DO NOT WATCH the movie! He has written 12+ novels.

Dennis Lehane- Wrote the book "Mystic River" anything by this author is excellant.

Larry

This old f*** reads and re-reads anything by Michener, Uris, and Edward Rutherford. I love those big historical fiction novels because it takes me a few cruises to finish them. Again. And again. I pride myself on the fact that I have not even opened The Da Vinci Code, which I ordered and received about three weeks ago. I put it under the litter box to hide it from myself. Will read it next month down at the over-priced, too-crowded, and never-a-baggage-cart-to-be-had condo at the Gulf beach.

Archived