Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

My wife and I plan on going to Orient beach just to watch the action. We are both retired and would like your recommendation on a couple of places on the beach for lunch. (Something besides hambergers). Thanks

One place we love is Baywatch. a beach shack with great food, located near Pedros at the southern end of the beach.

http://home.carolina.rr.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.htm

Check out the location on Ed's panorama map of Orient Beach. Look to the left.

This is the place owned by a couple from NJ who have hundreds of signs and lic. plates from NJ mounted on their walls.

We would like to see some of the French side. I have been told you can take the bus from Philipsburg for 1.00? Where are the puplic buses located? Are they near the cruiseport? Thanks ahead. :)

I think you are awesome for doing this and want to say Thank You. Do you own a business in St Martin and where are you from originally?

I was planning on doing Divi as a ship excursion, they charge $42 per adult, $34 per child. It includes use of the pools, lunch ( a beach BBQ), 2 drinks each, roundtrip taxi, beach chairs. The price to do it on your own won't that much of a difference to matter.

BUT my question is...I've been reading about a lot of seaweed. You love this beach, so is it full of seaweed or is it nice.

Please let me know

Thanks

Fire away. I have been living in St.Maarten for 21 years and know the place pretty well. I will try to help as much as possible, because even though I know a lot, I don't know everything. ;)

Would appreciate any comments on sailing vessel Random Wind

This will be our first visit to St. Martin and are thinking about the tour of both the French and Dutch sides of the island offered by the ship. What is something we should not miss? Thanks for your ideas.

Away from the shopping areas in PhillipsBurg and Marigot, the Marina at Marigot, the many beaches, and downtown Maho by the airport, the island, which is a semi-desert island, is pretty scruffy. Not very pretty; I have talked to people who went on the long tours and who were disappointed by the island and couldn't understand why so many people love the island. Forget the over-priced bus tours, go to a good beach such as Orient or Dawn or Divi, watch the jets at Maho, and shop til you drop at Phillipsburg.

There is way too much to do on the island in one day, concentrate on just a few things and cover the others in another trip.

This will be our first visit to St. Martin and are thinking about the tour of both the French and Dutch sides of the island offered by the ship. What is something we should not miss? Thanks for your ideas.

I agree with the above poster. I think the only thing on the island that you should not miss is the view of the Ocean from Orient Beach, or one of the other nice beaches, as you sit and sip a drink from your beach chair or a table at one of the beach front restaurants. Along with a stroll down the sandy beach with a quick dip in the ocean now and then along the way. My DW might add a brief tour of the inside of one of the many nice jewelry stores just before, or after, your trip to the beach!

Wow, what a huge wealth of information here:) .

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer so many questions. I'll be there in October and again in April. I am now armed with tons of ideas.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

NCJean - Is this the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon, Bahamas? If so, then I did that one a few years ago. I believe the instructor was in the water at all times. We were given careful instructions beforehand in how to pet a dolphin...don't go near the blowhole, don't go below the dorsal fin area b/c they are very sexual and apparently the only mammals besides humans that will mate just for fun. :D They will have you shake the dolphin's fin, dance w/ him and have the dolphin give you a kiss! It was one of coolest things I've ever done and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It is rather daunting having this large animal bobbing in the water in front of you and coming at you with that bottlenose, but I never, ever felt unsafe at any time.

Go for it - it's a blast!

I agree, it is a blast. It is one of the neatest things I have ever done in my life.

The dolphin, her name was Aurora, was an amazing creature and I will never forget her.

Hello,

I was looking forward to booking the Sea Fun & Beach Hop excursion for my November sailing on RCCL, but I just found out my sail date will not be offering this tour and I'm very upset. I'm trying to book it independantly and was wondering if you might know the name of the company that does it.

Thank you kindly.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=0000ygtzj0NuQw_F6nuvDaFO54R:10ktdmqkf?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=SM71&DestinationCode=CARIB

Hello,

Are there any tours that can take us to Little Divi and moho. We are sailing on Carnival and wanted to do both of these. We now have an excusrion booked to Divi but have read alot about moho and would like to try it. We read about Bernard tours but he does not include the divi options. Any suggestions? We are a family of 6, 2 adults, 3 teens and an 18month old.

Thank you in advance

Hello,

I am trying to decide what to do on St. Maarteen, we have a ship excursion planned to little Divi but I have read about Moho beach think that it would be awesome. Can you tell me how I might be able to do both? The tour with Bernard sounds nice but he does not go to Divi Resort.

Any help would be appreciated.

We'll be docking in St Maarten on Sunday Jan 20/08 on the Summit at 9:30am and departing at 6:00pm.

We'd like to do a "Beach" tour of some of your famous beaches!!

Maho Beach... for the planes for sure!... Best place to be?

Orient Beach...Comparing "Kakao" Beach Restaurant/Bar and "Waikiki" Beach area...which one has the "cleaner" bathroom/change rooms?... Do both have a food/drink service to your lounge chair?...Which has "less" nudity...topless is OK?

Paradise View... is it "open" on Sundays and is this restaurant worth a visit?

The Butterfly Farm...is it "open" on Sundays? Location...where and how far is it from Orient Beach?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with us concerning the above questions.

Pat :)

My husband and I will be on St Maarten on 5 December. We were there last year but did not get out of the port because of a storm. We will arrive at 3 pm and leave at 11.30 pm and we would just like to take a taxi to Marigot, have a couple of hours on the beach and go for dinner. Is it OK to do this, where should we go etc, etc? What will the weather be like in December (this is our first 'winter' cruise)?

We will be in St Martin in December. We have a trip arranged with Lord Sheffield. He told us what time to be at the dock..... do you know if that time is 1hr earlier than ship time.

We want to visit the spice market in Marigot.....if we take a taxi from the ship pier how long would it take to get there.?

I want to get something straight so I can figure out what to do? I hear it is not safe to swim at the great bay beach in philipsburg. I have swam there before, and it was really nice, but I hear it is polluted and not safe now? Is this true? If it is, what other beach would you recommend (not the Orient Bay) that is easy and reasonable for 12 people to get to?

Thanks!

Will look forward to reading a review on Lord Sheffiled. He does come highly recommended and has been great to deal with. I have him booked for April.

Re. the time; whatever time it is on the ship; that is the same as with him.The ship will tell you; usuallly the first night to set your clocks on; do this. Forget about what time it is at home.

Re. the visit to Spice Factory; we hired a private tour guide and it was included in the 4 hour tour which lasted 5 hours. Great value but can't remember how far it was from dock. I'd say... a fair distance.

Archived