Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

Fire away. I have been living in St.Maarten for 21 years and know the place pretty well. I will try to help as much as possible, because even though I know a lot, I don't know everything. ;)

my brother has a timeshare (flamingo beach resort, pelican cay) and i am looking for a close hotel/resort to rent nearby. are you familiar with the area? if so, could you suggest a place nearby to stay(or not to stay)?

Hi Snoopy Leogirl,

Thanks for answering the questions about St. Maarten! I will be docked at Philipsburg on January 16 from 3:00 PM to 11:30 PM. Since we are arriving later in the day and want to plan possible excursions, we wanted to know when the stores downtown would be closing. Do they sometimes stay open later when cruise ships are in port?

Also, any good suggestions for moderately priced restaurant bayside where we could get a quick bite to eat?

Hi Snoopy Leogirl,

Thanks for answering the questions about St. Maarten! I will be docked at Philipsburg on January 16 from 3:00 PM to 11:30 PM. Since we are arriving later in the day and want to plan possible excursions, we wanted to know when the stores downtown would be closing. Do they sometimes stay open later when cruise ships are in port?

Also, any good suggestions for moderately priced restaurant bayside where we could get a quick bite to eat?

I haven't noticed that snoopy leo girl has checked in on this board in a while...

We are going to be in St Maarten the first week of October, and we have booked with No Rush Tours http://norushtours.com/

This is a private tour guide who takes you where you want to go and stays with you for as long as you like at each place. I've read really good things about them on the boards here. It took the guesswork out of the equation for us in planning our time in St Maarten. They do the tours for whatever time you want/need them. You might want to read up on them to help you in your planning. I'll check back in here when we return to give a review and update of how it goes.

Marsha

We are coming on CC in February and my husband would just like to go over to Marigot for the day and have lunch. What would your recommend? Should we rent a car, take a bus from town? Any other suggestions?

I haven't noticed that snoopy leo girl has checked in on this board in a while...

We are going to be in St Maarten the first week of October, and we have booked with No Rush Tours http://norushtours.com/

This is a private tour guide who takes you where you want to go and stays with you for as long as you like at each place. I've read really good things about them on the boards here. It took the guesswork out of the equation for us in planning our time in St Maarten. They do the tours for whatever time you want/need them. You might want to read up on them to help you in your planning. I'll check back in here when we return to give a review and update of how it goes.

Marsha

Marsda,

I also have Beau from "No rush tours" booked. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what type of day you planned out with him. I'm trying to get different idea.

TIA:)

Marsda,

I also have Beau from "No rush tours" booked. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what type of day you planned out with him. I'm trying to get different idea.

TIA:)

I haven't pinned everything down yet. I've told him that we are interested in historical, cultural and traditions of the area. David wants to see the differences in the French side and the Dutch side. Beau has assigned Lynette as our guide because of that. We want some beach time (but not a lot) and we are looking forward to Maho and watching the jets land. I don't have a great deal of time to pull this together! When are you going to be there?

Marsha

I haven't pinned everything down yet. I've told him that we are interested in historical, cultural and traditions of the area. David wants to see the differences in the French side and the Dutch side. Beau has assigned Lynette as our guide because of that. We want some beach time (but not a lot) and we are looking forward to Maho and watching the jets land. I don't have a great deal of time to pull this together! When are you going to be there?

Marsha

Hi Marsda. We are going in April 2008. (I'm an early bird, my wife makes fun of me because of that! LOL)

I know we want to do about 2 hrs at the end of the day at a beach ( I don't even know WHICH one yet!), other then that, my plan is a work in progress. I'll post thoughts when they become more clear on what we actually want to do other then the beach.

I would LOVE to do the Maho beach thing, and actually I found a link that gives the schedule daily times of the planes arrivals, but I never kept it not thinking I would need it):( .

Talk to you later!

Hi VIKINGCRUISER!

Here's the link to the flight schedule.

http://www.bywindkal.com/documents.htm

Just click on th BIG Jet Schedule line and another page comes up listing the different seasons. Just click the line... that includes the time frame you will be there.

We have a tour booked with Beau...No Rush Tours for Jan 20/08 and can't wait to see the planes!! :cool:

Pat :)

Hi VIKINGCRUISER!

Here's the link to the flight schedule.

http://www.bywindkal.com/documents.htm

Just click on th BIG Jet Schedule line and another page comes up listing the different seasons. Just click the line... that includes the time frame you will be there.

We have a tour booked with Beau...No Rush Tours for Jan 20/08 and can't wait to see the planes!! :cool:

Pat :)

Pat,

Thank you so much!!! :D :) :D :)

I have Beau booked also. I am now adding hte Maho beach stop to my list thanks to you!

Joe

Marsha

Lynette will be our tour guide Sept 18. All I told Beau was we wanted to see EVERYTHING! He seems really pleasant and answers emails in an extremely timely manner. Can't wait to meet Lynette! I will let everyone know how it goes when we get back!

Lynette will be our tour guide Sept 18. All I told Beau was we wanted to see EVERYTHING! He seems really pleasant and answers emails in an extremely timely manner. Can't wait to meet Lynette! I will let everyone know how it goes when we get back!

Great! I'm looking forward to hearing from you regarding your schedule and how Lynette is. Wow, you get to go in 11 days! I thought September would never get here.

Great! I'm looking forward to hearing from you regarding your schedule and how Lynette is. Wow, you get to go in 11 days! I thought September would never get here.

Wow! It is only 11 days now...time flies when life gets in the way :rolleyes: . This is the only thing we are doing our trip. DD and I decided to splurge and we want to see the whole island. Beau said to bring our list and give it to Lynette when we meet her. Do we tip on top of what we pay her? If so, how much? The tour is just me and DD.

Wow! It is only 11 days now...time flies when life gets in the way :rolleyes: . This is the only thing we are doing our trip. DD and I decided to splurge and we want to see the whole island. Beau said to bring our list and give it to Lynette when we meet her. Do we tip on top of what we pay her? If so, how much? The tour is just me and DD.

We always tip on these tours... how much depends on the service we have and how we are treated. Usually we tip either 10 or 15 percent. I remember only one time when we didn't tip... but this person was rude all day each time we asked a question (and we're really not high maintenance type clients). I just couldn't see rewarding that type of behavior. Rare occurrence though. From what I've heard about NoRush Tours I'm anticipating that any of their guides will go out of their way to make it a really enjoyable day.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Pat,

Thank you so much!!! :D :) :D :)

I have Beau booked also. I am now adding hte Maho beach stop to my list thanks to you!

Joe

Would you recommend them? What is their email address?

Can anyone else recommend another tour compnay that is great?

Thanks

Wow, what a huge wealth of information here:) .

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer so many questions. I'll be there in October and again in April. I am now armed with tons of ideas.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Can someone recommend a good tour compnay to hire; to see the the island? Thanks

Can you please tell me how long (and how safe) would the walk be from Front St. to Rima's.

With all the shopping on Front St. is it really worth the trip?

Thanks

Peggy

Rima's is probably the most highly recommended shops for trinkets, etc. on the island and is within a very short walking distance from Front St. We've been to the island about a dozen times on land trips. Sandy

Archived