Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

I can't recommend him. I'm changing my plans based on this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=660964

Wow, thanks for posting that link! I had missed all of that saga about NoRush Tours. I started out feeling so saddened about Beau's death and kept reading. That's one of the most bizarre stories I've heard of in a long time. Our guide was Lynette, but we ran into Beau and were introduced to him at Maho that afternoon. He was so nice and personable. So when I saw the pictures of Bodo Muth I did a double take.... it was definitely the man we met as Beau.

Hearing about that whole story taught me to start researching the private tour companies we book that are not associated with the cruise line. NoRush had such good reviews here on this board, and we were thoroughly pleased and I recommended them. As it turns out, I guess we were very lucky. We should have looked into this company through a Google search. Although, at the time, I doubt anything would have popped up. This was definitely a man who was good at duping people. I'm surprised at the white supremacy thing though... our guide, Lynette, was of another race other than white, and Beau was hugging her and praising her work to us, etc.

Thanks again for posting the information.

Marsha

• 3 months later...

Hi Snoopy Leogirl,

I have a question that I haven't seen so far on this thread and that is how is Dawn Beach? I noticed you didn't recommend it and someone I work with said it's a very nice beach as well. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Julie

• 7 months later...

We are back from our cruise with a port of call at St. Maarten and loved the port. We had booked 2 tours through www.shoretrips.com because they would incorporate the parasailing into the island tour. What I found out while we were on the tour is that the tour companies seem to "cooperate" with each other on the island. Even though we had booked and paid through one company, we were in a van with others that had booked and paid through Bernards. We had a wonderful tour, an excellent guide, did exactly what we had wanted to do on the island, got beautiful pictures, and had a blast.

leogirl:

Do you know anything about "The Spa" in Sint Maarten - worth going to? Cab ride seems to be about $25 each way from the cruise ship to the spa. Rates are much less than on the ship, which is why we'd consider it. Or, are we better off doing a tour and skipping the spa?

Thanks!:o

• 2 weeks later...

What I really want to do is get a taxi w/ good guide and go to Mountain top downhill trek/Pic Paradis/ Chewbacca Rock. It is a shore excursion on my ship. However, it is full. I am wondering if it is open to public - where we could go on our own. It also includes a walk thru rainforest.

I don't want to go to the beach.

I don't want to do much shopping - but would like to do a little.

I would like to go to the beach bar with the planes.

It's me, my husband, my mother (active 68 year old) and two daughters 15 & 12.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 4 weeks later...
I read something about a mud bath on Tintamarre Island. Does anyone have any information?

The mud is awesome. It will leave your skin as soft as a baby's back side.

We've done the Tiko-Tiko several times. Really outstanding food, open bar, and Philippe mixes a special mud for you. More time than the other trips. And, BTW, most people on that trip don't ruin the experience (or their swimsuit) or because they're nude all day.

Celine, Golden Eagle, Scoobitoo, and Captain Alan also go there. I think they anchor a little offshore and you're on your own for the mud on these trips.

Be advised that many excursion schedules do not mesh well with those of the cruise ships.

Your suit, your choice. But, guessing that it will never be quite the same. That's what happened when I got a little bit of that mud in the lens door of my digital camera a couple of years ago...

Best bet on that schedule is probably Golden Eagle. Usually offered as a ship excursion...

http://www.sailingsxm.com/golden.htm

• 2 weeks later...
What I really want to do is get a taxi w/ good guide and go to Mountain top downhill trek/Pic Paradis/ Chewbacca Rock. It is a shore excursion on my ship. However, it is full. I am wondering if it is open to public - where we could go on our own. It also includes a walk thru rainforest.

I don't want to go to the beach.

I don't want to do much shopping - but would like to do a little.

I would like to go to the beach bar with the planes.

It's me, my husband, my mother (active 68 year old) and two daughters 15 & 12.

Thanks in advance for your help.

We were on this island 2 years ago with a group. I cant remember the name of the company but I think there are plenty there. We rented 3 small SUV's and toured the island ourselves....French and Dutch sides. I dont know all the areas we stopped but we did go to Maho Beach (where the planes are overhead), Orient Beach, Pic Paradis (the highest point of the island), and random other beautiful spots to pull over and take some pics.

CAUTION!! I would do it again in a heartbeat, dont get me wrong, but be careful. Pic Paradis you drive straight uphill this narrow long road....at the top there was a black gate that says do not enter, next to that there was a steaked, small arrow sign that read "Pic Paradis" pointing in a direction down a small trail. The view was incredible up there!! We felt like we were all alone and on top of the world...w.ell apparently we were not b/c we left there went right ot Orient and realize our SUV's had been robbed.........stole my camcorder, a friends camera and cash......and they did it quick and neatly!!! Left me my bag and all. I had no clue when I got in the car someone had been in it.

I felt very lucky that we never saw anyone b/c it could've been a bad situation. I was crying and so upset b/c the day before we had been in Aruba and I videoed amazing scenes and fun with my children and now some crazy theif had my memories and my kids faces!!!! I hate thinking about that part.

That being said I would rent a car there again and tour, but I would lock up and be aware of your surroundings.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I will be in St. Maarten in March with my kids. We are active and are thinking about trying out the Stars & Stripes 1/2 regatta. Anyone willing to share their experience? If we do this, would we still have time to hit Orient beach in the same day?

I will be in St. Maarten in March with my kids. We are active and are thinking about trying out the Stars & Stripes 1/2 regatta. Anyone willing to share their experience? If we do this, would we still have time to hit Orient beach in the same day?

The Stars and Stripes was one of our favorite excursions of all time! We raced against other cruisers who had True North as their boat, and we beat them! It was so much fun. Everyone had a task. One person was even the bartender! After the race, I got to be at the helm as we sailed back into the harbor . . . what a thrill!!!

We did the morning excursion and the people at the America's Cup suggested we go to a beach closer than Orient, which is clear across the island. I cannot remember the name of the beach, but it is East of where the ship is docked. We had to take a taxi to get there. If I remember its name, I will let you know.

I am sure the kids and you would love the America's Cup.

Have fun, no matter what you do!!!

Been to St. Martin twice. Saw the french side. Since I really do not care for the beach or active activities, but do not want to stay on the ship, any suggestions? Is it worth it to just walk around Front Street? Looking more for crafts, not jewelry.

Archived