Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

You are such a wonderful young woman to answer our questions! I believe that you mentioned that your father runs a tourist office in Phillipsburg on Front Street. What type of services does he offer? I'm sure - like a previous poster mentioned - that any of us would be glad to avail ourselves of his services, if at all possible. I'm sure that he's as honest and generous an individual as his daughter and we'd love to give him our business if at all possible.

Dolores

Snoopy, have you ever heard of Plantation Furniture in the Orange Grove Shopping Center? My daughter and I will be visiting in late November/early December and she has been searching for places to shop. The shop's site http://www.plantation-sxm.com looks like it has some great items. If you or others know of this place I would love your input.

Your thread is wonderful. It is so nice to have suggestions and comments from a local. Thank you!

I hope that you have a great cruise to Alaska!

hi! i just found this thread by accident! very neat! i was in st. maarten last april and before that in sept., but i was never able to remember to look for an old store i used to shop in like 20 yrs ago. it was called la romana. i knew the owner and her son. my mom and i were there on vacation 20 yrs. ago and we were stying at the great bay hotel. that's when we met them. we also met a man named david loyd. he worked at the airport back then.

i know it was all a long time ago, but seeing this thread and reading that someone actually lived there for 21 yrs. made me jog my memory...wow! i didn't know i even remembered this stuff!! i guess it was just tucked away in the ol' rolodex...lol

anyway, any info would be great... thanks...

Here is a web site that lists taxi fares to the beaches....

After reading this board, my hubby and I are planning to take a taxi to Orient Bay. Heard there is an underwater marine for snorkeling. How is that?

Then hopefully on the way back to cruise ship, stop and see Pic Paradis.

I can't wait.

Just wondering what shopping deals can be found near the cruise ship port?

http://www.sxmtaxi.com/rate.htm

You are such a wonderful young woman to answer our questions! I believe that you mentioned that your father runs a tourist office in Phillipsburg on Front Street. What type of services does he offer? I'm sure - like a previous poster mentioned - that any of us would be glad to avail ourselves of his services, if at all possible. I'm sure that he's as honest and generous an individual as his daughter and we'd love to give him our business if at all possible.

Dolores

Thanks for the really kind words. He has a business on Front Street located across from Old Street named 'Shopper's Paradise'. He has a t-shirt/souvenir business. Very touristy...I think lots of people would like it. Its a small place but we try our best to keep our customers happy. Thanks again! :D

Do you know anything about Everyting Cool Bar's new location? We enjoyed stopping there for bite to eat and a frozen drink.

I wasn't aware of the fact that they have a new location. I know that they were located across the street from the Methodist Church on Front Street and I used to go there years ago for their frozen drinks and volleyball on the beach but we haven't been there in so long...sorry :confused: I don't know where they currently are but if you walk through the street and see any tour guides, I'm sure they would know where its located. :cool:

Snoopy, have you ever heard of Plantation Furniture in the Orange Grove Shopping Center? My daughter and I will be visiting in late November/early December and she has been searching for places to shop. The shop's site http://www.plantation-sxm.com looks like it has some great items. If you or others know of this place I would love your input.

Your thread is wonderful. It is so nice to have suggestions and comments from a local. Thank you!

I hope that you have a great cruise to Alaska!

Yes I have heard of Plantation Furniture. I've passed by there quite a bit and it looks pretty nice, though I have never been inside. We shopped for our home furniture when we were in Miami, FL from El Dorado, Rooms to Go etc.

We honestly don't buy much here except for basic needs and a few nice things every once in a while. We do our clothing shopping in Miami (practically) every year because we love the malls there and the variety and quality. But if you are interested in Plantation, go ahead and check it out and see if you end up finding something that you like.

Hi snoopy_leogirl

Do you know anything about the Caribbean Duck Tour? Is it still operating? Safe?

TIA for any info.

Okay, I have seen the Caribbean Duck Tour bus a lot, full of people, but recently, I haven't seen it driving around. I think that it either stopped operating, or either it does operate but only during the high season (from October to May or so?!) Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not sure. But I have heard only good things about the tour.

Try this link:

http://www.caribbeanducktours.com

Okay, when you go to tour schedule and then click on 'Click Here To Book Your Tickets Online Now!' it says No Performances so I am guessing that it is temporarily closed.

Snoopy, thank you for your response! Could you tell me how far Orange Grove Shopping Center is from the docks? We will definitely check it out. Are most places open on Sunday? We unfortunately were in Georgetown on a Sunday and most places were closed, I hope the same isn't true in Philipsburg!

It appears that your thread is getting very popular. We certainly will miss you during your three week vacation.

Enjoy your trip to the States!

My husband and I will be visiting St. Maarten in January for the first time (A birthday present he gave me!!!). I understand from a co-worker that the shopping is incredible. Can you advise me as to where to and where not to shop? I always like to bring back a special momento from our holidays.

Thanks

Cindy

Hi, I was wondering if you have used Bayside Riding Club or know anyone who has done this excursion. We are going to St Maarten in October and were thinking of going on a 2 hour horseback ride on the beach and you get to swim with the horse. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Judy

SnoopyGirl: Would like to take a cab to Maho and watch the planes. My question is: is it easy and quick to get a cab to go back to the ship and how much time would you leave to get back in time so you are not watching the ship leave the dock from the shore!!!!! I hear about the possible traffic backup and/or the bridge going up. I sure would like to see those planes but am concerned if your ship has a 4:00p.m. leaving time, etc. Any ideas so I know if I can try for the Maho Beach around 12:30 to 2:30?Thanks for any help on this. I appreciate your time.

Thank you Snoopy

Dang.... :( That was the one fun tour I was looking forward to doing.

I was afraid they might not be running in September since I saw that same message on the website.

Have a safe and happy trip.

Happy to report that the Duck Tour IS running (they will be on vacation for a few weeks in August).....so I'm getting a group together from the Royal Hounds Group Cruise and will be QUACKING in September. :D

Hello, Snoopy LeoGirl -

Thank you so much for your generous help! I particularly love large yellow gold earrings and wonder if any particular jewelry stores are known to have a better selection than other stores. Also, I adore jewelry (earrings, pendants, slides, bracelets) that have a Big Cat (lion, tiger, etc. - not little kitties lol!) motif; do you know of any stores that may have these?

Thank you.

Dolores

Delores, I also collect Big Cat jewelry. If you find any let me know--we won't be going until Oct, 2005! (and, of course, we will have to check out Snoopy LeoGirl's Dad's shop!) Susan

Archived