Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

Ah yes, there'll be no problem getting that little guy under the bridge. I was thinking the boat was more like the Random Wind, which would NEVER get thru the drawbridge with the mast intact.

Do you guys know of any way for me to contact the captain of the

"At Random" ? It would be nice to get with him now instead of the booking company. Maybe work a deal out with him to meet us near the ship then we could worry only about the shuttle back.

Thanks for all your help

We will be going to St. Maarten on our cruise in October. I'm looking for great snorkeling excursions for us to go on. One issue (may not be a major one, depends) is that I am in a wheelchair. I know that most won't be accessible but I can be carried... I'm a small woman. Any suggestions?

Do you guys know of any way for me to contact the captain of the

"At Random" ? It would be nice to get with him now instead of the booking company. Maybe work a deal out with him to meet us near the ship then we could worry only about the shuttle back.

Thanks for all your help

Their e-mail is included in my post above. Marten is the owner/captain.

I would suggest that you'll get more responses if you post this as a new topic as opposed to adding it onto this lengthy thread.

Use a distinctive title for the question such as 'Best Place to Gamble on St. Maarten?"

Snoopy,

Hope you had a good time on your cruise. Do you know anything about Lord Sheffield snorkling cruises? We are going the end of August. I don't want to bring my teen and pre-teen boys to nude beaches. I cound not handle watching them stare. My DH and I were there a few years ago and loved it. But it is not for them yet.

The cruiseship terminal is located in Great Bay. As you progress clockwise around the island from Great Bay, the progression is:

* Great Bay

* Little Bay

* Cay Bay <========

* Cole Bay

To get there you head toward Simpson Bay and the airport. At the roundabout on Cole Bay Hill (just before the Simpson Bay lookout) turn off A.C. Browers Road and proceed southwest down from Cay Bay Hill.

That's a good question. I really don't know if it's paved now or not. My guess is it's not as there's not much down in that area. The bay is the end point for a number of shipboard snorkel tours tho.

Thanks so much for the info and map. Now another question -- seems to me I've heard Mullet Beach is also "clothing optional" in areas like Orient Beach is? Is that true? Which do you consider the best beach? We'd like to spend a couple of hours at a beach after horseback riding, then back to the ship for a shower and down to Front street to poke around and shop for a couple of hours. We're there 11 hours so I'm thinking we have plenty of time. Any suggestions?

That could be a real challenge to make that schedule work. The biggest problem is shopping hours on Front Street where the stores close about 5:30-6:00pm.

My favorite beach is Orient as it has everything. Mullet Beach is protected from prevailing winds so it can get pretty hot. Other than one place there's very little option for food and drink. Mullet is not clothing optional, but like all beaches there will be some topless sunbathing. Of course if you ARE looking for clothing optional, your best bet on the west side of the island is Cupecoy Beach.

On the assumption that the horseback ride is in the morning, I would go from there to Orient (or Mullet) then go shopping. If you go to Orient you can get a shower and change of clothing before shopping. The shower is not available at Mullet.

We will be there in October (in on teh Glory) and just want to spend the day relaxing on a clothing optional beach.... would be nice if there were somewhere to get drinks / lunch.... would prefer to avoid hawkers / gawkers and crowds as much as possible... suggestions?:confused:

Thanks

Hi all, I am back to answer all the questions that you posted. I will do that tomorrow. I had an excellent trip. For everyone that wanted to check out my dad's business, he is closed now because of an extension of the store that is currently underway which will hopefully be completed within about a month. I will keep you updated on the progress. Also, if anyone is coming here within the next month or so, you might be shocked at the state of Front Street which is very messy for now (full of sand). Its because we are currently renovating the ground and fixing up the street, adding trees, putting cables and wires underground, and eliminating any motor traffic on the street so please bear with the mess on the street as we are bettering it and hope to finish up in a few months.

Hi snoopy_leogirl:

Thanks you for all of your very informative posts. We'll be visiting St. Maarten on the 01/03/05 sailing of the Empress of the Seas and are thinking of taking RCI's "Marigot Yachting With Lunch" tour. Please let us know whether you think this would be a good tour or not. Thanks.

Here is RCI's description of the tour:

After a narrated bus ride from Phillipsburg to Simpson Bay, you will embark a motorized catamaran yacht for a one hour scenic cruise around the lagoon to observe the luxury homes, mega yachts and beautiful scenery as you cross the imaginary border line between the Dutch and the French waters. Complimentary rum or fruit punch, iced tea, and sodas will be offered.

There will be two full hours to enjoy the attractive port capitol of Marigot with its sidewalk cafes, open-air markets and duty-free shops.

Lunch will be served at a lovely restaurant overlooking the Marina and then the party continues for the return cruise to Simpson Bay and the drive back to the ship.

Thanks again.

snoopy leogirl - what a great help you have been but I have a question regarding golf. Is there a course that we can play and have you or any other people played the course and what did you think of it.

Deb

Snoopy_leogirl,

We will be arriving in St. Martin at the end of November. Our ship the Seabourn Pride is docking in Marigot not Phillipsburg. Do you have any must see things that we should do?

Thank you in advance.

mcboo

:)

Archived