Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

Hi and Welcome Back! Hope you had a wonderful trip! Dolores

Thanks! I had an unforgettable experience of a lifetime.

BTW, is anyone cruising on the NCL Spirit to the Caribbean later on this year?

Let me know, I will tell you about the ship or answer your questions about it. We just sailed on her from Seattle in late July and visited Alaska. I loved the ship and Alaska.

Snoopy leogirl: I am wondering about New Year's Celebrations in St. Martin. We will be on the Wind Surf arriving (we hope!!) in Marigot. We love to come to St Martin. My husband has a favorite restaurant onthe main street almost across the street from the taxi stand. You sit outside and they do lobsters, prawns on an outdoor huge barbeque grill. My question is if he will probably be able to do that early on New Years (like around 6 or 6:30) of if establishments basically close down except for reservations only for New years Eve celebrations. We just want to eat dinner there, then head back to the ship for the later festivities. Thanks for your help.

Also, regarding your post on there being road work, which side is that. We may not even venture over to the dutch side...just prefer Marigot. Also, I think I remember that there is a mall somewhere up the hill from the port of Marigot? I have been to the one just under the fortress. Is there another shopping spot that is good?

Thanks for your help. This has been a great thread with all of your input! Lynn

I believe that the place you are talking about is Le Bar De La Mer. According to what I have seen lately, I think that they have (unfortunately) closed down. I don't know why because they always seemed busy and seemed to be doing well but lately, everytime we drive by, they are closed. Sorry, I know you will be disappointed. But, if they are still opened and I just don't know about that, you can try to get an early sitting. I don't really know if they will take you though because for New Years, the rule here is that most places only take people who have New Years Eve dinner bookings.

Also, the place that I was talking about was indeed the Dutch Side (Front Street) that is under renovation or as we call it "beautification". Marigot shopping hot spots are along the Marina, on the two main streets (Rue General De Gaulle and I don't know the name of the other one but they intersect) and also the West Indies Mall and the Waterfront.

Can you please furnish me with the following taxi rates?

Local bus fare from Phillipsburg to Marigot - $2

Taxi from Marigot to Orient Beach - $40

Taxi from Orient Beach to Cruise Ship Port - $30-$35

Also, where is the local bus stand located? There is no main bus stand but look out for bus stops. And to be very honest with you, almost anywhere you wave for a bus, they will stop for you.

I had to guess most of the answers but I don't think I am too far off. See above for my guessed prices. The reason that the taxi prices are so high is because the distances between the two places is large. I think that I have given you the maximum price so it could be lower too.

This is a great thread!

I've been trying to find a way to arrange something rather narrow and specific for our cruise in February. There are several ways to integrate a port excursion that includes a hike from Loterbie Farms (to Pic Paradis), but they all have other "stops" along the way, that from our perspective only take-away from what we want to do. We don't want to be rushed from our hiking so we can go see the Butterfly Farm (which I'm sure is nice, but not necessarily what we want to do on St. Martin).

What I do know, besides the excursions that have the hike as a part of them, is that we can rent a car and do the hiking on our own. I'm a little leary about that, for a couple of reasons. I understand that renting a car in St. Martin is a bit unreliable, and the roads aren't the kind of roads we're used to driving, so there is a safety concern.

I suppose we could get a taxi from the port to Loterbie Farms, but I'm not sure how much that would run, and I don't know how we'd get back!

Another concern about doing this on our own is that I cannot find any topological hiking trail maps, so I can be sure not to get lost.

Any advice or information that would help us resolve this dilemma would be greatly appreciated!

My best suggestion for you would be to try and stick with the excursion. It is a safe bet because you will always be with people, and I know you mentioned that you might need more time in each place and that they have too many other stops but I think that they probably give you enough time in each place to do a bit of exploring.

Another good idea would be to rent a taxi for a few hours, and ask how much the rate per hour would be. Also, if you are only 2-4 people, try to find other people that want to do the same thing as you so that you can share the fare, or if you want to keep it small, rent a small car taxi not the big vans. They pretty much take you anywhere you want to go and should wait for you when you are done to take you to your next point of interest.

Renting a car would be the last option that I would choose. It is a bit hard to find roads here, and also, as you mentioned, we drive very differently that you drive in the USA so that is probably not the best option for you.

Hope you enjoy yourself!

Thanks so much for your advice. This one is a toughy, because the excursions are independent excursions, so I wouldn't know how to book them, say, the night before. Lots to think about.

Thanks again!

Can you please furnish me with the following taxi rates?

Local bus fare from Phillipsburg to Marigot = $2

Taxi from Marigot to Orient Beach = See taxi schedule below

Taxi from Orient Beach to Cruise Ship Port = $5/person (share with others)

Also, where is the local bus stand located?

St. Maarten Taxi Rates

snoopy leogirl--Thanks so much for all of the information you are providing. If we take a private taxi tour which shop would be the best to go to--T'shirt World or Rima's Beach World? Also, we want to spend a few hours at Orient Beach. Do the buses run from Orient to the cruise ship port? Also, have you ever been to the Butterfly Farm? I haven't seen too much on the boards about this so I was wondering if it was worth going to. That's all I'm going to ask (for now). Thanks again to you & all the others (especially kal & gtaylor) who take a lot of time answering everyone's questions! Susan

Hi, Everybody -

I do not know snoopy_leogirl personally. Like you, I have just enjoyed reading all of her freely-given advice. I'd just like to repost something that I originally posted back in July. If you're gonna' be cruising Front Street - in and out of a lot of stores ... lol - let's remember this one! Dolores

Originally Posted by RDMOREU

You are such a wonderful young woman to answer our questions! I believe that you mentioned that your father runs a tourist office in Phillipsburg on Front Street. What type of services does he offer? I'm sure - like a previous poster mentioned - that any of us would be glad to avail ourselves of his services, if at all possible. I'm sure that he's as honest and generous an individual as his daughter and we'd love to give him our business if at all possible.

Dolores

Thanks for the really kind words. He has a business on Front Street located across from Old Street named 'Shopper's Paradise'. He has a t-shirt/souvenir business. Very touristy...I think lots of people would like it. Its a small place but we try our best to keep our customers happy. Thanks again!

Snoopy_leogirl,

We will be in St Martin during the first week of October. One of the shore excursions that we were looking at through Royal Caribbean is the "St. Martin Natural Wonders" tour. We like some of what's on the tour but not necessarily all of it. We're especially interested in the portion that is described as this:

"You will then arrive at the St Martin Park where a guide will introduce you to some very unique residents, including an amazing array of parrots -Blue and Gold, Green-winged and Scarlet Macaws. You will have an opportunity to see the Caribbean and American Tropics come alive, with 80 species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates displayed in a tropical, garden setting. From the Jamaican Fruit Bats in the Bat Cave, to the monkeys on Monkey Island, you will be touched by the great care given to these special animals."

Do you know if this is something that we can go see on our own or do we have to do it through the cruise line? Is it worth it? If we can do it on our own, what is the best way to get there? Do you know how much it would cost for the transportation and also is there an entrance fee? Any help you can give me with this is really appreciated! Thanks!

Dear snoopy_leogirl,

I'm sure that everyone you've helped on this board is thinking about you and your family. I pray that you have not been hurt and that your father's store survived the awesome power of this hurricane.

Dolores

Hi all!

Thanks for all your kind words. We're all doing just fine here. Francis and Ivan left us practically untouched. Nothing happened here. Thank Goodness. We're completely safe except they have cancelled a lot of the ships because of the rough seas. We'll be fine though. And we hope to see many of you all here soon starting next month when we go into full swing cruise ship season. We have so many ships here in November or December...can't wait.

I will be on again hopefully later to answer the new questions that are posted up. Till Later.

Leogirl

Hello snoopy_leogirl. My husband and I will be in St. Maarten the first week in October and I in all my excitement booked an excursion with Aquamania Tours called Sand Dollar half day snorkeling. Then I noticed that this trip leaves from Pelican Marina, Simpson Bay. Of course I have no idea where I'm going. The trip starts at 10:00 a.m. How long will it take me to get from the cruise ship RC-AOS to Pelican Marina and will you be able to tell me about how much I should expect to pay a taxi? I wish I had checked this out before I put out my money. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

snoopy_leogirl,

So glad that you and your family are OK. We're a little North of Orlando, FL, so we also hope that 'Ivan the Terrible' will not hit us. Tell your father not to worry about lost business; I think that you've made so many friends on this board that Nov. and Dec., etc., will be really good months!!!

Dolores Moreu

We will be in St. Martin on Nov. 1,2004 and were looking at a snorkle excursion call Lord Sheffield Tall Ship Adventure. Can you tell me anything about them? The price was only $47pp for a 4 hour snorkle with lunch which sounded very reasonable. I have only seen 1 mention of them on this board but no reviews from anyone who has used them.

also glad to hear Ivan missed you & hoping we will be as lucky. We are about 90 miles north of Orlando & right in it's current path.

snoopy leogirl--Thanks so much for all of the information you are providing. If we take a private taxi tour which shop would be the best to go to--T'shirt World or Rima's Beach World? Also, we want to spend a few hours at Orient Beach. Do the buses run from Orient to the cruise ship port? Also, have you ever been to the Butterfly Farm? I haven't seen too much on the boards about this so I was wondering if it was worth going to. That's all I'm going to ask (for now). Thanks again to you & all the others (especially kal & gtaylor) who take a lot of time answering everyone's questions! Susan

The difference between the two would be that one is on the Dutch Side (Rima) and T-Shirt World is on the French Side. They are pretty distant from one another. Oh and one more thing, Rima has a huge collection of beach cover-ups etc and souvenirs and stuff. T-Shirt World is a much smaller store but if you happen to only get a chance to stop by on the French Side, then this is where you should go because even though it is a small store, it has Cuban Cigars, T-Shirts, Souvenirs, Beach Pareos/Wraps, Liquer, Cigarettes etc. Orient Bay buses SHOULD run back to the port I think. I am not too sure about that though. But I don't think you should have a problem getting a ride back. Unfortunately, I have NEVER been to Butterfly Farm in my 21 years of living here. I heard that its a nice place though. A lot of tourists go there.

Glad to help you out.

Post again if you have any more questions.

Hi, Everybody -

I do not know snoopy_leogirl personally. Like you, I have just enjoyed reading all of her freely-given advice. I'd just like to repost something that I originally posted back in July. If you're gonna' be cruising Front Street - in and out of a lot of stores ... lol - let's remember this one! Dolores

Originally Posted by RDMOREU

You are such a wonderful young woman to answer our questions! I believe that you mentioned that your father runs a tourist office in Phillipsburg on Front Street. What type of services does he offer? I'm sure - like a previous poster mentioned - that any of us would be glad to avail ourselves of his services, if at all possible. I'm sure that he's as honest and generous an individual as his daughter and we'd love to give him our business if at all possible.

Dolores

Thanks for the really kind words. He has a business on Front Street located across from Old Street named 'Shopper's Paradise'. He has a t-shirt/souvenir business. Very touristy...I think lots of people would like it. Its a small place but we try our best to keep our customers happy. Thanks again!

Hi RDMoreu,

I just wanted to say thank you so much for supporting my dad's business by telling others to visit it too! I hope you like it. :D

Please remember though that we are still closed due to the expansion of the store and should be ready to reopen in about a month *hopefully*.

Thanks again!

Snoopy_leogirl,

We will be in St Martin during the first week of October. One of the shore excursions that we were looking at through Royal Caribbean is the "St. Martin Natural Wonders" tour. We like some of what's on the tour but not necessarily all of it. We're especially interested in the portion that is described as this:

"You will then arrive at the St Martin Park where a guide will introduce you to some very unique residents, including an amazing array of parrots -Blue and Gold, Green-winged and Scarlet Macaws. You will have an opportunity to see the Caribbean and American Tropics come alive, with 80 species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates displayed in a tropical, garden setting. From the Jamaican Fruit Bats in the Bat Cave, to the monkeys on Monkey Island, you will be touched by the great care given to these special animals."

Do you know if this is something that we can go see on our own or do we have to do it through the cruise line? Is it worth it? If we can do it on our own, what is the best way to get there? Do you know how much it would cost for the transportation and also is there an entrance fee? Any help you can give me with this is really appreciated! Thanks!

I think the best thing for you to do is to skip this tour. Let me tell you why. The St.Maarten Park is basically our zoo but they changed the name. The zoo is very small compared to the huge zoo that I have visited in San Diego. LOL! But anyway, most of the zoo is the basic animals and you can walk around yourself and tour the place in about an hour or quicker. Entrance fee should only be about $3-$5 per person I think. I've been there a couple of times years ago but It's something that you can do on your own for sure. Also, the taxi shouldn't charge you more than $10-$12 for the trip. It's not far from the port, only about 10-12 minutes away. The best way for you to get there is by taxi. If you want, it will also be easier for you to tell the same taxi to pick you up in an hour or so and then take you elsewhere.

If you can, tell me the price that Royal Caribbean is charging you per person for the tour and I will tell you if it is worth it. I think that will be easier for me to do.

Happy Cruisin!

Hello, Princess has a four wheel drive excursion and I was wondering if you know of another company that we could book through that does this or if you would even recommend this type of activity for the island. Thanks.:)

I am not sure what the excursion covers. If you can, give me more details about it like how long it lasts, where it visits, what you do on the excursion. Any info would be useful. I can tell you that a driving excursion would be an okay idea. However, if you don't like to drive on small roads that are congested then you might want to skip it because driving here is a LOT different than driving in the USA. Most people who are here for a day with the ships take bus or taxi tours of the island. Its the quickest and easiest way to tour. Also, you know you are very unlikely to get lost when someone else drives. If you drive, you may get lost, but this depends on where you are going. Try to find out more about the tour and let me know so I can better help you.

Good Luck.

Hello snoopy_leogirl. My husband and I will be in St. Maarten the first week in October and I in all my excitement booked an excursion with Aquamania Tours called Sand Dollar half day snorkeling. Then I noticed that this trip leaves from Pelican Marina, Simpson Bay. Of course I have no idea where I'm going. The trip starts at 10:00 a.m. How long will it take me to get from the cruise ship RC-AOS to Pelican Marina and will you be able to tell me about how much I should expect to pay a taxi? I wish I had checked this out before I put out my money. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Okay, let me see, the cruise ship to Pelican will take you about 20-25 minutes, depending on the traffic but no more than 25 minutes. If the roads are clear, it will only take you 18-20 minutes. The taxi rate should be $15 or so I am guessing, for one way.

Not too sure on the taxi rate, but click on the link that someone posted above on taxi rates for St.Maarten which should better help you.

Have Fun!

Archived