Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

snoopy_leogirl,

If Sint Maarten has a Chamber of Commerce, they should hire YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Dolores,

Yes we do have a chamber of commerce...but ours doesn't do much with tourism. Ours mainly deals with business licenses and stuff like that...legal issues of businesses. I actually wouldn't mind having a tourist attractions suggestions job.

Thanks for all the support.

BTW, Ivan is headed to the USA. Looks like you'll miss it but maybe the panhandle of FL will get hit or Alabama. Good luck and be safe. We were lucky to miss everything so far. Hope you miss any and all other hurricanes this season. Also wanted to tell you that I have been to Orlando for the theme parks twice in the past 5 years and I loved every minute of it. I also have friends that live all around FL. I have a neighbor in Tampa whose at USF, friends in Jacksonville who recently moved there, a cousin in Miami, and friends that went to school in Deland and Gainesville. Also had a friend in Naples who recently moved to Illinois. You have a beautiful state and we visit FL almost every summer.

Take Care. :D

We will be in St. Martin on Nov. 1,2004 and were looking at a snorkle excursion call Lord Sheffield Tall Ship Adventure. Can you tell me anything about them? The price was only $47pp for a 4 hour snorkle with lunch which sounded very reasonable. I have only seen 1 mention of them on this board but no reviews from anyone who has used them.

also glad to hear Ivan missed you & hoping we will be as lucky. We are about 90 miles north of Orlando & right in it's current path.

Ivan hopefully should miss you too. I was just watching the Weather Channel and it seems as if the panhandle will be hit or Alabama. I hope you are not living so close to the panhandle. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I have heard about the Lord Sheffield Adventure but I have no experience or never have I heard anyone comment on their snorkel tours.

Try these websites for more info that I hope can help you:

http://www.lordsheffield.com/

http://www.saint-martin-activities.com/index.htm?c104.htm&1

snoopy-leogirl;

How sweet of you to help all of us out! I am supposed to be going on a Western Caribbean cruise in less than two weeks. Unfortunately, it seems very possible that due to Ivan damage we will be switched to the Eastern Caribbean ports. I am sure that St. Martin will be one of our stops. I have spent the last year researching and planning excursions for our cruise. So needless to say I know nothing about St. Martin. I need a crash course!!:eek:

Being a native...what do you feel is the best thing St. Martin has to offer? What should not be missed there?

On our cruise we are interested in history, snorkeling, snuba, shopping, ect... I think that San Juan is going to be the place to hit for history. What is St. Martin best for?

Thank you for any suggestions!!!

Fire away. I have been living in St.Maarten for 21 years and know the place pretty well. I will try to help as much as possible, because even though I know a lot, I don't know everything. ;)

Wow...you are a gem! It's so great to be able to talk to a local who can give more insights to places to go. Can you tell me what you think about the boat rental/charters for groups to get around the island? www.saint-martin-activities.com is the link I have been looking at. They offer a variety of boats to get around. Do you know anything about them, and/or do you think this would be a good way to sample as much of both sides of the island? It sure sound like fun! I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

We have just learned that the Tiko Tiko is in dry dock for all of October.. Is there another boat offering similar services??? :confused:

Thanks!!

There are certainly other day sail opportunities, but if you're looking for c/o, I'm not aware of any unless you can come up with enough people to do a full charter.

snoopy-leogirl;

How sweet of you to help all of us out! I am supposed to be going on a Western Caribbean cruise in less than two weeks. Unfortunately, it seems very possible that due to Ivan damage we will be switched to the Eastern Caribbean ports. I am sure that St. Martin will be one of our stops. I have spent the last year researching and planning excursions for our cruise. So needless to say I know nothing about St. Martin. I need a crash course!!:eek:

Being a native...what do you feel is the best thing St. Martin has to offer? What should not be missed there?

On our cruise we are interested in history, snorkeling, snuba, shopping, ect... I think that San Juan is going to be the place to hit for history. What is St. Martin best for?

Thank you for any suggestions!!!

I honestly think that the best thing that our island can offer you is mainly 2 things: the beaches and duty free shopping. Our beaches are beautiful (most of them). We have about 36 beaches here on land that is 36 square miles in area. The color of the ocean is crystal blue and I love it! That is really my favorite part of the island. Here are a few of the best and most popular ones to me: DIVI Little Bay Beach, Orient Beach (optionally nude), Cupecoy Beach, Le Habitation/Le Meridien (optionally nude). Know that practically all of the beaches on the French Side are optionally nude. If you have a choice, pick DIVI or Orient. DIVI is less crowded and more quiet. Orient is louder, more crowded and an optionally nude beach so if you have kids and you don't want to be exposed to that, then skip Orient and go to DIVI. Divi is only a 10 minute drive from the port but Orient will be at least 25-30 minutes.

Another amazing thing not to be missed is the shopping. I honestly think that we have the best shopping for tourists. Go to Front Street...you will find everything! T-shirts, souvenirs, Cuban cigars, jewelry, electronics, you name it...all are duty free/tax free. Marigot on the French Side is also a very nice place to see. Its like a small version of Paris. Cafe's, boutiques etc. Pretty. Espeically the marina and waterfront are nice to walk around.

Try not to miss out on any of these things. You'll have a good time. Oh and by the way, you are right, San Juan is the place for history. Especially Old San Juan. You'll enjoy that too!

Hope you have fun!

Wow...you are a gem! It's so great to be able to talk to a local who can give more insights to places to go. Can you tell me what you think about the boat rental/charters for groups to get around the island? www.saint-martin-activities.com is the link I have been looking at. They offer a variety of boats to get around. Do you know anything about them, and/or do you think this would be a good way to sample as much of both sides of the island? It sure sound like fun! I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

I have done a boat cruise a couple of times and we rented the boats as a huge group of like 30 people each time. I wasn't the one that planned the trips so I don't have much info on this. But the website that you have posted up looks good for research. I think it will help you out. Let me tell you something though: virtually any boat trip that you choose, as long as it offers what you want, it should be just fine. The first trip that we took was a cruise around the whole island, to Pinel Island, to a couple of beaches on the French Side and then back to Simpson Bay marina. This trip took the whole day from like 11 am till about 6 pm. It was amazing! The second trip that we took was last December. We took an evening cruise to watch the sunset around Simpson Bay and Marigot. It was great! This one lasted about 3 hours. Both were truly unique experiences so I think that no matter what you choose, it should be fun. I think that they are great ways to tour both sides of the island but try to visit both sides internally too. Marigot and Philipsburg are two nice places and you have to visit them internally too in order to get the best experience but do the boat trip too. Try to find a boat trip that doesn't last all day so that you have time for shopping and sightseeing.

We are interested in buying a timeshare in St. Maarten and would like some suggestions. I have put in several calls to Marys Boon but have not received any information as of yet. We tend to like smaller places that is why Marys Boon appealed to us. On day we are planning on moving there and are looking for somewhere that we can go and stay for a week or two at a time so that we can look for houses or land and check out the island.

Okay, let me see, the cruise ship to Pelican will take you about 20-25 minutes, depending on the traffic but no more than 25 minutes. If the roads are clear, it will only take you 18-20 minutes. The taxi rate should be $15 or so I am guessing, for one way. Not too sure on the taxi rate, but click on the link that someone posted above on taxi rates for St.Maarten which should better help you. Have Fun!

Thanks so much for your help!

Been to Sint Maarten/St. Martin several times. Favourite beach is definitely Mullet Bay, near MaHo. Barely no one bothers you to buy things, there are a few lolos (locals barbecueing amazing ribs and chicken on the beach). Beach is never busy; view of flights coming in to land; crystal clear water - pure paradise!

Don't bother with taxis - much cheaper to jump on a local bus. Just wave one down, pay a dollar, and yell stop when you want to get off.

And Sun Set Beach Bar at the MaHo beach is a must to watch the planes come in, especially Air France and Corsair jumbojets. And while there, try a Guavaberry colada - can only get this on St. Martin as the guavaberry only grows there.

Enjoy.

maria

Driving times will vary by time of day, route, number of tour buses enroute and number of stops along the way. Travel clockwise to Marigot and you should allow about 45-60 minutes. Under the best conditions you could do it in about 20-30 minutes.

For circumnavagating the island, total time from Philipsburg and back, clockwise would be about 1-2 hours. Then too, it depends on the same factors mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

Snoopyleogirl..........

Thanks for the very informative thread that you are providing. It is much appreciated.

With you living locally in St. Maarten/Martin for approx. 21 years you probably are the only person that can HONESTLY answer my question for me.

Please help.

I am torn, between my 10 year old begging me to swim with dolphins, and the guilt I may experience contributing to the "apparent" mistreatment of captive dolphins. Are you able to confirm or deny how bad, it is reported to be by the animal activists out there?

I can not get many positve reviews while surfing the "net".

I have booked the Dolphin Encounter Tour on the island of Auguilla in December, but now am having my second thoughts and am strongly considering canceling, as I do not wish to see animals mistreated in any way.

My question to you is, Are those bad reviews accurate?

I would appreciate your honest opinion on this dolphin tour if possible.

Have you been there?

Are you able to comment on the conditions of the animals ( depressed or happy etc)?

Or the condition of the water ( whether it is dirty or clean )?

What about the size of the holding pen?

Is it large enough so they can jump and dive and move around freely?

Is it strictly a photo shoot, and do the animals pull and push you through the water, hug and kiss the people who are in the pen with them?

Comments from others that I have found, in regards to the above questions, are mostly negative and was curious on your opinion.

Thanking you in advance for any comments that you can provide. Your comments will certainly help me make an informative decision.

Will be on SM/SM on a Sunday in Feb.(SuperBowl Sunday to be exact) and would appreciate info, as far as percentage, of shops that are usually open on Sunday,when a ship is in port.

Many Thanks in Advance.

snoopyleogirl: i have been reading these posts for quite some time, gathering lots of info. thank you very much. now of course i have a question. we will be in st martin the first week of november. my dh and i would like to do only 2 things. go to orient beach and shop. what part of the beach could we get some cheap chairs/umbrella? we will be shopping on front st b4 retg to the ship. between orient beach and front st where would be the best food and fun place to eat?

Archived