mooring vs dockside in PV

k8russ8

Does the Oosterdam always moor rather than be at dockside. I have been on different lines and they have all tied up to the dock. Why is this? It is so much nicer to be able to walk off and on the ship at will.

We were on Oosterdam in Puerto Vallarta this past February and once having arrived in the Bay, she dropped anchor and soon thereafter started tendering operations. That was the first time we've tendered there. We've been on other ships (including HAL ships) in PV and we've always docked. With the Oosterdam in FEB, there were already two other ships in port (both were docked): Carnival Pride and The World. It is my understanding that it all depends who else is in port and who has number one (and two) dibs on docking at PV since space there is limited.

We have only been there two times, both on the Oosterdam and both times we tendored. My understanding from many of the other reviews of the Oosterdam is that she always tendors in PV, could just be the day of the week she arrives which is always Wednesday unless she is a charter and they change the rotation of the ports.

The last time we were in PV they were building a 3rd pier (November 2005) - what happened to that project?

Thanks for that info, Yonnie - wasn't aware of that - looked it up and here's an update on that project from 09/06/05

Pier Construction Ready to Begin

The final step toward beginning the expansion of the Maritime Terminal piers was completed on September 5, reports Astrid Castañeda Ruiz of API, Administración Portuaria Integral, the port authority. Engineer Raúl Sarmiento VIdaca, representing Tradeco Infrastructura and Innovaciones Técnicas en Cimentación, received a check in the amount 15% of $20 million pesos as a deposit on the project. Another check was received by architect Luis Barjau González, representing Supervisiones Técnicas and Control de Calidad, in the amount of $97,000 pesos to begin the project within a week. Including lengthening pier two and adding a third pier, the entire project is scheduled for completion in 455 days.

If the project is on schedule, that would make it a completion date of roughly JAN 07

If the project is on schedule, that would make it a completion date of roughly JAN 07

That sounds great:) I would love for it to be done and not have to tendor when we go in March. My guess when we are there on the Zaandam in November we will have to tendor.

PV only has two docking slots. The east-west slot is the longest and the north-south slot seems to accomodate the S & R class ships. We were on the Westerdam and we tendered. No one ever seems to explain the mystery as to why they tender and why they dock. Many years ago we were on the old Noordam in Juneau and we tendered while two Regent ships docked ???. (Regent was a low cost line in the 80's) I would like to know what the price difference (ie port charges) for docking vs. tendering. Does anyone know ??

PV only has two docking slots. The east-west slot is the longest and the north-south slot seems to accomodate the S & R class ships. We were on the Westerdam and we tendered. No one ever seems to explain the mystery as to why they tender and why they dock. Many years ago we were on the old Noordam in Juneau and we tendered while two Regent ships docked ???. (Regent was a low cost line in the 80's) I would like to know what the price difference (ie port charges) for docking vs. tendering. Does anyone know ??

I'm sure Stephen Card (Prinsendam) can answer that one! I have a feeling docking or tendering has to be a $$ and contract (with the Port authorities) issue

As Carnival Pride comes in EVERY Wednesday of the week all year long into P. Vallarta and always leaves late at 10.00.p.m. they probably have priority at the dock.

Usually Oosterdam also comes on Wednesday, but not in summertime.

Ine got it right. Carnival has the historical first rights to the parking place at the only PV pier big enough to accommodate a Vista Ship.

Construction of the new pier (big enough to accommodate a Vista sized vessel) has been delayed for years (in typical Mexican style). The latest prediction has it completed in mid-December of this year. But don't bet any money on it.

It is similar in St. Thomas. Among the preference for Havensight Docking is if the ship calls weekly. A ship that comes in every week has a much better chance of prime docking than a ship that comes occassionally or is on a 10 day itinerary.

• 1 month later...
Of course it would have to be Jan 07......we go there in December 06:( .

When in December? Did you see Bruce Muzz' post about the new pier possibly starting to be used around Christmas of this year? That'll be interesting; we've got the New Years cruise on Oosterdam

When in December? Did you see Bruce Muzz' post about the new pier possibly starting to be used around Christmas of this year? That'll be interesting; we've got the New Years cruise on Oosterdam

December 9-16......oh well I guess I can see the construction.

Archived