Pinnacle $30 Ahhhhhh!!!!

fb0075

Mr Muzz you are absolutely correct..Many of us will not pay $60 plus tip, unless it's a special occasion, as opposed to $40 plus for the Pinnacle, when we can get just as wonderful a Dinner in the Main DR...

My feelings, exactly! :D To me, dinner in the Pinnacle Grill IS a special occasion, which is why I will decide to spend some of my vacation $$ there....

JMO,

Paul

For those who are inclined to tip $10. per person for fine service in the PG, I am wondering how that translates to the waiter in the dining room. Waiters in the dining room, on the whole, give exceptional service in a much more hectic atmosphere. If the same formula was to apply, would those folks tip an extra $10. per person per day to the waiter? On a 7 day cruise that would be an extra $70. per person after the auto tip was charged.

Your theory does not equate for the following reason.

The dining room team that serves us receives $3.50 per person per day from the automatic tip. The stewards in Pinnacle get a tiny percentage of that.

For those who insist on comparing the cost of what this meal would cost at A land based resturant... I say this.... It is not land based....It is on A ship... So this is not A valid argument either... Think about it... Who in their right mind would pay what it would cost for A land based meal on A cruise ship....Again It is not land based....The food that is served at the PG is brought onboard in mass Quantities along with the food that is served in the main dining room... The cost increase does not justify it IMHO anyway....

You are, indeed, correct. It is not a land-based meal but a meal served on a ship out in the middle of the ocean hundreds or thousands of miles away from provisioning and, hence, with a chain of re-supply that is amazing to behold. So ... I'll agree ... it is not proper to compare the cost of a ship-board meal with a land based meal. The ship-board meal should cost WAY more than it does. :D

That being said, my comparison was really in terms of value and ease and as a break to the ship-board routine, not so-much in terms of expense. And, here as well, the comparison is not fair. On land to have cocktails before dinner, a meal in a high-dollar steak house, and drink and entertainment after dinner, I have to make the reservation, get dressed, get in a car, drive through insane traffic to get to a lounge where I sit and drink and chat, then get back in the car and drive through more traffic to get to the restaurant, eat the meal, pay the bill (immediately), then leave and through even more insane traffic to get to a concert hall or playhouse or piano bar or some such for some after dinner entertainment, before getting back in my car and driving back through still more insane traffic (now filled with drunk drivers) to get home. By comparison, aboard ship I have to make the reservation, get dressed, walk -- not drive, walk -- through lovely corridors to a lovely lounge, sit and enjoy lovely music, nice drinks, and excellent conversation with good friends, then get up and walk -- not drive, walk -- into the Pinnacle, where I sit and have an excellent meal. Then, putting a tip down on the table and my bill on my ship's account (for which all I have to do is sign), I get up and LEAVE, walk -- not drive -- to another lounge, sit back down and have after dinner drinks, watch a show, listen to music, and enjoy a walk out on the promenade, looking at the lovely ocean passing me by in the moonlight. I then walk -- not drive through drunk-driver infested streets -- back to my cabin where I turn in, nice and relaxed.

In truth, the two experiences are incomparable: the overall evening's experience, with or without the Pinnacle, beats the price and experience of dinner on land HANDS DOWN.

I wonder if HAl would let us bring our own meat on? I know the alcohol thing is a big taboo but hey what about my own cow?:confused:

LOL ... that cow would be a tad bit difficult to put in the overhead compartment on an airplane, don't you think? Ol' bossy won't even fit under the seat in front of you!!! :D LOL ... still ... funny mental image!

Also, Rev Neal...we were curious about you and ended up listening to one of your homilies "what not to wear" very good. You are an awesome speaker:D my daughter thinks this should count for Sunday Church.,:p

I'm greatly honored, and you are very kind! Thank you!

By the way, RevNeal, you look awesome - your latest pic shows a very svelte Reverend! Way to go.

Oh, thank you so much! I appreciate that! I'm FAR from svelte! Perhaps, someday, I'll make it to that level of condition, but today I'm feeling especially "thick." :(

You are, indeed, correct. It is not a land-based meal but a meal served on a ship out in the middle of the ocean hundreds or thousands of miles away from provisioning and, hence, with a chain of re-supply that is amazing to behold. So ... I'll agree ... it is not proper to compare the cost of a ship-board meal with a land based meal. The ship-board meal should cost WAY more than it does. :D

That being said, my comparison was really in terms of value and ease and as a break to the ship-board routine, not so-much in terms of expense. And, here as well, the comparison is not fair. On land to have cocktails before dinner, a meal in a high-dollar steak house, and drink and entertainment after dinner, I have to make the reservation, get dressed, get in a car, drive through insane traffic to get to a lounge where I sit and drink and chat, then get back in the car and drive through more traffic to get to the restaurant, eat the meal, pay the bill (immediately), then leave and through even more insane traffic to get to a concert hall or playhouse or piano bar or some such for some after dinner entertainment, before getting back in my car and driving back through still more insane traffic (now filled with drunk drivers) to get home. By comparison, aboard ship I have to make the reservation, get dressed, walk -- not drive, walk -- through lovely corridors to a lovely lounge, sit and enjoy lovely music, nice drinks, and excellent conversation with good friends, then get up and walk -- not drive, walk -- into the Pinnacle, where I sit and have an excellent meal. Then, putting a tip down on the table and my bill on my ship's account (for which all I have to do is sign), I get up and LEAVE, walk -- not drive -- to another lounge, sit back down and have after dinner drinks, watch a show, listen to music, and enjoy a walk out on the promenade, looking at the lovely ocean passing me by in the moonlight. I then walk -- not drive through drunk-driver infested streets -- back to my cabin where I turn in, nice and relaxed.

In truth, the two experiences are incomparable: the overall evening's experience, with or without the Pinnacle, beats the price and experience of dinner on land HANDS DOWN.

My thoughts here: you are missing the point of whether it is worth the extra money to eat in PG when we have meals included in our cruise rate. You are right about the experience on ship versus most of our neighborhoods.

BTW, DH and I went our for a delicious dinner last night. We had an amazing time with friends and the entire dinner including tip was $30. So you don't necessarily have to pay a fortune to have a good dinner.

Oh, I agree. And, once can pay a GREAT DEAL of money and not get a good meal at all. I've had that happen too.

I'm not critical at all of either $20 pp or $30 pp. Everyone has the line they choose to draw for how much is too much. But since we've already paid for all our meals in the cost of our cruise, comparing it to restaurant costs just makes no sense.

Granted.

As I said in response to someone else, the meal eaten at a land-based restaurant cannot compare to the amazing feat of the ship serving meals hundreds or thousands of miles away from re-supply out in the middle of an ocean. Be it Pinnacle or main dining room or room service ... I find it an amazing feat, and hence incomparable to land-based meals and service.

My thoughts here: you are missing the point of whether it is worth the extra money to eat in PG when we have meals included in our cruise rate. You are right about the experience on ship versus most of our neighborhoods.

Yes, meals are included in our cruise rate. And if one doesn't want to eat in the Pinnacle, one certainly won't go hungry! The Pinnacle is NOT a mandatory dining experience ... it's something EXTRA. And it can be operated so cheaply ($30 pp in a quality steakhouse with quality atmosphere IS cheap) precisely because it is underwritten by ship operations and one's cruise fare.

So ... I'm not missing the point at all. I have considered the point, factored it into my observations, and find it more than bolsters my whole POV. Given the setting, the circumstances, and the quality of the atmosphere and meal to be had there, the PG is an excellent value. Can one have an excellent meal in the Main Dining room for no extra charge? Absolutely. I eat nearly all of my dinners in the Main Dining room. But I, on occasion, will eat a dinner with family and/or friends in the Pinnacle. It's something a little EXTRA which breaks the routine of the Main Dining Room -- something that is particularly welcome on longer cruises.

The dining room team that serves us receives $3.50 per person per day from the automatic tip. ................

I'm really hoping you are right about this, but I was given to understand that it's not quite so. Somewhere I saw the $10/day breakdown and I thought the stewards ended up with less than that. I know this is OT, but I would really like to know if I'm wrong.

We tipped our Cabin and DR Stewards considerably over and above the automatic tip for this reason. I was told quite a bit of that $10 goes to "behind the scenes" personnel.

Back on topic, I never get bored or find the main dining room "routine". Maybe that's because we only cruise once a year. But we really look forward to going to the dining room every night without even a hint of thinking it mundane. On the contrary, I find entering the dining room an exciting experience ... love the warm welcome and the feeling they're glad we're there and as I've often said we so enjoy our tablemates every time we cruise.

But I certainly would never say it's not worth $20, or even $30. It's just that while the Pinnacle was pleasant and I loved the Chocolate Volcano, I had the feeling after of ...... "okay, been there done that".:)

Back on topic, I never get bored or find the main dining room "routine". Maybe that's because we only cruise once a year. But we really look forward to going to the dining room every night without even a hint of thinking it mundane. On the contrary, I find entering the dining room an exciting experience ... love the warm welcome and the feeling they're glad we're there and as I've often said we so enjoy our tablemates every time we cruise.

Oh, I am never bored with it either. However, on -- for example -- a 28 day cruise I DO like to try something different ... from time to time.

But I certainly would never say it's not worth $20, or even $30. It's just that while the Pinnacle was pleasant and I loved the Chocolate Volcano, I had the feeling after of ...... "okay, been there done that".:)

And THAT would be my personal criticism of it, too. Except that I don't always mind doing the "same-ol-same-ol." I would like it if HAL would vary it's PG menu a bit.

Heather......EVERY CD on every cruise we have taken since the automatic tip went into effect has stated that $3.50 went directly to dining teams....to the steward, assistant steward etc.

I am very sure we have been told this over and over and over.

We still tip additional as prior to automatic tip, we tipped more than $3.50 so we still do.

I have to admit ... disappointment when I learned of the increase. I would like to experience the PG as a first time HAL cruiser but am not inclined to go but more that once.

On a 12+ day cruise I would prefer the option to NOT be charged an additional $20+ per visit. But to factor in the actual cost vs no additional cost...hmmmm

Per Couple

Let's see: $40+tip - $60+tip vs $0 x 2-3 nights per sailing = :eek::eek:

I am looking forward to my 1st PG experience. I don't know when I plan to take the next HAL cruise and just in case there's another price increase:confused:.....

Good to know you can do Lunch as in addition to Dinner icon14.gif

Enjoy your cruise!!

Sail, again I really hope you're right. But if that's the case, where is the part that goes to the behind the scenes personnel? $3.50 to the DR Steward, $2.50 to the Asst., $3.50 (I think?) to the Cabin Steward adds up to $9.50. So what about the Housekeeping staff, the kitchen help, etc.? I think right on their website it says some of the auto tip goes to them. I'll look into it and see what I can find.

Greg, if the day ever should come (and it won't) that I can go on a 28-day cruise, I may want a change of scene too. But on my 10-14 day, that's just not going to happen:D .

Sail, again I really hope you're right. But if that's the case, where is the part that goes to the behind the scenes personnel? $3.50 to the DR Steward, $2.50 to the Asst., $3.50 (I think?) to the Cabin Steward adds up to $9.50. So what about the Housekeeping staff, the kitchen help, etc.? I think right on their website it says some of the auto tip goes to them. I'll look into it and see what I can find.

Greg, if the day ever should come (and it won't) that I can go on a 28-day cruise, I may want a change of scene too. But on my 10-14 day, that's just not going to happen:D .

Sorry, I phrased it poorly. Of the $10.00 per person per day, $3.50 goes to dining room team......they split that $3.50 among steward, asst. steward and I think the area supervisor. Then $3.50 goes to cabin steward (maybe some piece of that is shared??) and the remaining $3.00 out of the $10.00 goes to 'behind the scenes'.

BTW, DH and I went our for a delicious dinner last night. We had an amazing time with friends and the entire dinner including tip was $30. So you don't necessarily have to pay a fortune to have a good dinner.

That's my thinking exactly. My 92 year old dad lives with me, and as a matter of course, I take him out for dinner at least once a week, sometimes twice. Often, we go to a local neighborhood diner that has great food, fast service, and some very reasonable early bird specials. Often dad and I walk out of there with a bill of little more than $20 plus tip between the two of us. We leave satisfied and often with a small doggy bag too.

I guess some people enjoy dining at the more upscale restaurants, and that's great. Me ... I'm not particularly turned on by eating lots of rich food, and I'm not much of a drinker. So, for me, these experiences are just not worth spending a boatload of money.

When I cruise, I feel that one of the major benefits is that my meals are all included. While I love the Pinnacle and have eaten there several times, $20 is about the max I would spend for the experience ... at least it is the max I would spend if I wanted to do it multiple times.

$30 per person plus tip at the Pinnacle is certainly reasonable, if you really like that sort of thing. But, when people try to compare the price of the Pinnacle to a land-based restaurant of equal quality, I think they are leaving out a vital element to the equation. When we go out to eat at home and spend maybe $60 to $80 per person for a meal in a fine restaurant, that's our total cost. We didn't already put down money to eat that evening at the local diner ... money we are going to now lose by going to the more upscale restaurant. And, when we spend $30 on a HAL ship to eat at the Pinnacle, remember that we've already maybe spent $25 additional for the included food that we are not eating in the dining room that evening. So, now ... that $30 per person is actually not quite such a good deal. Personally, I'd rather save the $30 + tip and put it toward another shore excursion. But that's just me. Other's mileage may differ.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have to wonder how many of those wringing their hands over the $10 increase routinely stop by Starbucks 2-3 times a week and pay $3.00 for a cup of coffee.

C'mon.. it's $20 a couple. (maybe a bit more if you increase whatever tip you leave accordingly). Plenty of folks drop that and much more for a bottle of wine every nite in the dining room.

We have been underwhelmed by the Pinnacle, esp on our most recent trip on Volendam in January. Our wive's filets were tough and service was slow and rather impersonal. I've seen numerous reports about the seafood entrees being dry and unappetizing, so beef is largely your only option.

I just think they need to vary the menu and do something more unique or ambitious than grilling a steak, no matter how good the quality supposedly is. This is an area where the chef should be able to shine, to show what he or she is capable of. That just isn't happening.

After our last experience we made the decision to spend the money we would normally spend on the Pinnacle (and perhaps more) for a nice lunch ashore. For us it isn't a matter of the cost, it's a matter of whether we feel it is unique or memorable. We just don't feel the Pinnacle is.

For those who make the argument that the cost is even more when you factor in the cost of the meal in the dining room that you forego, do you ever eat onshore for lunch or dinner? Seems like a specious argument.

We just found out yesterday that we'll be taking a 4 day Disney cruise next Sept as our friends' son is getting married onboard. It will be interesting to try their Pinnacle equivalent, Palo, which incidentally, is only $10, and compare.

My final thought is that you either feel the Pinnacle is an important and valuable part of your trip or you don't. If you are in the first category, then pay the extra $20-30 (depending on tip), go enjoy yourself, and skip a few caramel macchiatos when you get back.

Now you want outrage......... raise the price of a Bahama Mama by 50% *wink*

The cruise lines price all of their items at what the market will bear. If they increase a price and the drop off in business is more than what the increase provides, then it will lower the price until they have their profilt margin back.

If you wish the cruise lines to stop this endless nickel and diming and extra cost items simply stop buying them.

I've also loved their marketing these items as a "nominal" or modest charge. I think they use a different dictionary then I do.

Cheers,

Peter

Sorry, I phrased it poorly. Of the $10.00 per person per day, $3.50 goes to dining room team......they split that $3.50 among steward, asst. steward and I think the area supervisor. Then $3.50 goes to cabin steward (maybe some piece of that is shared??) and the remaining $3.00 out of the $10.00 goes to 'behind the scenes'.

Okay, that makes more sense. When we tip, we always figure in the fact that instead of the Steward and his Assistant getting the $6 (between them) that had been "suggested" in the past to all passengers, they were now only getting $3.50 split between them. So that's quite a cut if you assume everyone tipped before (which is an erroneous assumption, I know).

Anyway, since many do not pay above the auto-tip, we try to balance that a little for them:) . (But this isn't a tipping thread, is it? .... my bad ... sorry).

HAL never suggested anything to anyone before the current policy came into effect.

Doug, of course I know that. I'm referring to the amount that is suggested in all travel brochures, cruise materials, online travel sites and other cruise lines. People used these figures as the norm for all cruises ... at least I certainly did.

Even when HAL said "no tipping required" we knew we were expected to tip so we used the guidelines available to us.

We've never eaten in the Pinnacle because the dining room is so good, but since this thread started I thought, just maybe we should. So today I called ship's services. 35 minutes on hold. I even fell asleep waiting (it was 3PM and warm in the room;) ). The young lady couldn't have been nicer and she too sounded shocked at $30.00. Not really shocked, but she made me feel we were getting a good deal for $20.00pp. I paid for 2 nights reservations. We will get two cards with our cruise documents which we will take to the PG when we reserve our nights. I forgot to ask if they were changing the menu and having dinner specials each day.

Since we are going on a quite long cruise, we will have lots of time to pick the nights to celebrate our birthdays and anniversary, but I will come back and let you all know how the food was and if it has really changed at all. I've already told DH to order the beef and not the salmon since it might be partially frozen. We'll see. Thanks all for your heads up on this event.

Looking back at past journals I saw now we had a charge of THIRTY DOLLARS 30.00 $USD in March and April 2006 on the hms Noordam IV already..

I wonder why now they are doing it again if it was recended or expunged...

The Pinnacle Grill has a service staff of 12 on the wait staff, One Pinnacle Manager and One Pinnacle Grill Chef.

The Lido location is called : LATE NIGHT SNACK

11:00pm - 12:00mn

The Cover Charges for Lunch/DINNER are stated just (cover charge applies)

But I saw something else I forgot about... and this must raise a lot of revenues and not much cost associated either: In US Waters it was done as well International Waters..

Verbatim::

:

WIN A CRUISE LOTTERY

Purchase a Win A Cruise Lottery ticket for your chance to win a 7 - Day Carrribean Cruise for two! Tickets are on sale at the Front Office, any bingo session or at any of the bars or lounges durring sea days! Tickets are $10 each or 3 for $20.

they have the expensive bingo cards too...

Yes it is again to the PERSONAL CHOICE .To BUY or Not to Buy|??/ is the question... (\:eek:/)

Why doesnt H A L and CCL sell Ships food in the Grocery Stores yet? A cruise meal in a box.. Flash Frozen for freshness.....

CCK:NYSE Crown Holding..the Old Crown Cork and Seal! They would make/design packages ...

Wouldnt you buy Holland American Tuna or Salmon too?

For those who make the argument that the cost is even more when you factor in the cost of the meal in the dining room that you forego, do you ever eat onshore for lunch or dinner?

Actually, no ... not unless the meal is an included part of the all-day excursion I may be doing. :)

See ... I *am* cheap. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived