Pinnacle $30 Ahhhhhh!!!!

fb0075

We're sailing on the Rotterdam on October 10th and I have a question about Pinnacle reservations - do you have to give Guest Relations the exact date of your reservation, or can it be open-ended? We don't know which night we'd like to attend, but don't want it to interfere with formal evenings. I certainly want to take advantage of the $20/couple savings before we board. I'm sure there's somebody on this knowledgeable board who can advise me.

Oh, could you possibly provide me with the 1-800 number for Guest Relations so I can make the phone call from work?:D Thanks!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We're sailing on the Rotterdam on October 10th and I have a question about Pinnacle reservations - do you have to give Guest Relations the exact date of your reservation, or can it be open-ended? We don't know which night we'd like to attend, but don't want it to interfere with formal evenings. I certainly want to take advantage of the $20/couple savings before we board. I'm sure there's somebody on this knowledgeable board who can advise me.

Oh, could you possibly provide me with the 1-800 number for Guest Relations so I can make the phone call from work?:D Thanks!

No, you don't have to reserve a specific night, although you may be asked if you have a preference. They won't guarantee it, but will mark your reservation with a "requested" date. I opted for "open-ended" reservations, and will decide once on board.

Ship's Services number is 800-541-1576.

Paul

This is aweful, and I have two main questions:

1) What about those of us who have already paid the $20. Will we be charged an extra $10 pp later?

2) What will this do to the price of the "Wine Tasting" menu that's already $25 above the $20 you spend to make the reservation? hmm

I have an email into ship's services. No promise I will get a response, but I will post it if it does come in. :)

This is aweful, and I have two main questions:

1) What about those of us who have already paid the $20. Will we be charged an extra $10 pp later?

I doubt that you will have to pay any extra. Really don't see that happening.

2) What will this do to the price of the "Wine Tasting" menu that's already $25 above the $20 you spend to make the reservation? hmm

I asked if my rep. knew about the tasting menu cost, and she didn't know of any change of its pricing. She said all she knew was that the Pinnacle surcharge was going up to the $30. I would guess that the tasting menu would remain an additional $29 (or whatever it is) over the Pinnacle surcharge, but that's just a guess. If you find out anything definitive, let us know.

Paul

There have been a few people comment that people are moaning and groaning etc. I think everyone is reacting exactly the way people do when they learn about a change.

They evaluate and then decide what they want to do.

This HAL group of CCer's is very even headed. Try some of the other boards when something happens. Don't even go near the RCI thread that has two strikes in the title.

I appreciate everyone sharing their ideas, reactions, and plans. Thanks!

don't have much more to say other than this

why take out whatever you're feeling on the stewards?

I've read several posts which in effect say if the price goes up, we're not tippping:mad:

can't help but wonder if those people ever tipped at all:rolleyes:

just don't get it

the waiters didn't take a vote to "up the price"

sorry, but it's just not right:(

go, don't go

am quite sure Pinnacle will survive this crisis:)

My thought (and it's only mine, not written anywhere) is that HAL raised the price to meet with Celebrity which states gratuities are included. Therefore, at the current price increase, I see no reason for additional tips. Incidentally, we never saw anyone leave anything extra on Celebrity, HAL or Oceania, where there is no additional charge.

Esther

My thought (and it's only mine, not written anywhere) is that HAL raised the price to meet with Celebrity which states gratuities are included. Incidentally, we never saw anyone leave anything extra on Celebrity, HAL or Oceania, where there is no additional charge.

I have sailed HAL since 1978, and regularly since 1992. HAL has never---never---included gratuities in any price until the advent of the service charge a little over two years ago.

There is no reason to believe that they have started now with this.

You will never "see" me leave anything extra, either, but that doesn't mean that I don't.

I guess I am in the minority but I tipped extra for each meal in the PG as I do on X, RCI, etc., in their specialty restaurants. I am not sure what percentage the waitstaff receives, but I prefer to recognize the excellent service with cash.

On RSSC, with no cover charges, open dining and pooled tips, I have never added additional.

We had breakfast in the PG most days this past March and always left a few dollars and we had dinner there 6 nights. We did not use the dining room at all after the first night, just preferred the intimacy and personal service in PG.

I have sailed HAL since 1978, and regularly since 1992. HAL has never---never---included gratuities in any price until the advent of the service charge a little over two years ago.

There is no reason to believe that they have started now with this.

You will never "see" me leave anything extra, either, but that doesn't mean that I don't.

Exactly, Ruth.......Just because you did not see my DH tip, does not mean he didn't tip. We have always tipped at Pinnacle and whenever we go to Pinnacle, we will continue to tip.......or we won't go.

dakrewser --

Ordering wine off the Pinnacle wine list when dining in the main dining room sounds like an excellent idea.

Did you pre-order your wine? Or did you order from the regular dining room wine steward? If the latter, does he carry the Pinnacle list around with him?

Thanks for your help.

You need to ask him to fetch it. But he'll keep one for you if you want. For best service do this:

Each night when you're signing the beverage check for your wine, ask the wine steward for tomorrow night's menu & the wine list. Look over the menu and decide what you'll have (or, perhaps, skip the DR entirely!) then choose your wine and tell the wine steward. It'll be waiting at your table when you come in the next night.

And be sure to tip him a bit extra at the end of the cruise! :)

People who sail other cruise lines and dine in their alternative restaurants......... What are the charges for them? Any of them $30 per person.

Oceania, our favorite cruise line, charges ZIP, NADA, ZILCH, NIL for their two outstanding alternate dining venues - the Polo Grill (Prime steaks, lobster, veal, etc) and Toscana - an incredible Italian venue that features quality as opposed to quantity (not like Sabatini's on Princess, which features just the opposite).

We'll be experiencing our first HAL cruise in December, and unless the main dining venues are awful, we'll certainly pass on the Pinnacle!

Mike

Just reserved through HAL. What you paid for now is a voucher that entitles you to dinner at PG. It's just that this voucher will cost you $10 more if you purchase it after Oct 1.

2)What will this do to the price of the "Wine Tasting" menu that's already $25 above the $20 you spend to make the reservation?

You just have to pay the $25 on top of the voucher.

Given the way communication goes, does anyone want to make sure that the $30 does not take effect with all sailings on or after 10/1 as opposed to pre-boarding reservations for the PC, made before 10/1, regardless of sail date.

Hate to see a "cat fight" ensue onboard between PG and passengers who were told......

Yep. Confirmed. I just booked and was told that you'll be getting vouchers to use at the rest. It's just that the vouchers will cost more if you purchase it after Oct 1 (or that you show up at PG without the voucher).

I am surprised that they are changing the price to $30 pp after Oct 1st...

How can they just "surprise" me and tell me now that they want to charge $30pp.. can they do this??

I was on the maiden voyage on Voyager of the Sea in 1999. The specialty restaurant cover charge was $5 pp. Just ask how much they want now.

We have four future cruises booked......through to November, 2007.

I wonder if Ships Services would accept a booking for Pinnacle Dinners from us for all those cruises? If so, I should be on the phone instead of here on the Internet. ;)

If you already have the booking numbers I don't see why not. Call them.

Hummmm, let’s see if my brain is working correctly this morning….

$30 for wife + $30 for myself + $20 tip = $80 for dinner at Pinnacle, or…… Dinner at Main Dinning room with new friends at no additional cost….

OK, think I got it figured out..

The only way I will pay $30 to eat in the Pinnacle is if it is made very clear that the $30 amount INCLUDES the tip. Otherwise, I won't be making multiple Pinnacle Grill bookings any longer either. On my upcoming cruise next month, a 13-dayer, I will get one complimentary Pinnacle Grill "experience" through my TA. Guess that's the only time I will be eating there on that cruise.

I don't spend $30 per person for most dinners out at home. Of course, I rarely go anywhere really fancy ... usually family-type restaurants; Denny's, Red Lobster, family-style diner type places, maybe Applebee's. So, I'm not about to spend $30 per person for dinner on a cruise ... especially when the food in the dining room is pretty good too.

I think HAL is shooting themselves in the foot with this one ... unless their bookings are well exceeding capacity at the present time and they are looking to thin them out?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Oceania, our favorite cruise line, charges ZIP, NADA, ZILCH, NIL for their two outstanding alternate dining venues - the Polo Grill (Prime steaks, lobster, veal, etc) and Toscana - an incredible Italian venue that features quality as opposed to quantity (not like Sabatini's on Princess, which features just the opposite).

We'll be experiencing our first HAL cruise in December, and unless the main dining venues are awful, we'll certainly pass on the Pinnacle!

Mike

Ah, Mike, as you well know by now you will never experience the same wonderful food on any other ship than O. Of course, we sail on others, but know darn well the food will be good, but not fantastic. ;)

Esther

The only way I will pay $30 to eat in the Pinnacle is if it is made very clear that the $30 amount INCLUDES the tip.

I'm guessing this is merely a price increase, and nothing will be suggested about tipping, as nothing is stated now....

I don't spend $30 per person for most dinners out at home. Of course, I rarely go anywhere really fancy ...

I don't either, which is one reason I like to have the option to do so while I'm on vacation! :D

Paul :)

Those of you who will reduce or cancel your patronage of the Pinnacle Grill with the new pricing have proved that the system works.

The "Fee" you pay to get in to the Pinnacle Grill - or any of the extra charge restaurants on any cruise ship - is not a gratuity or a service fee. It is a crowd control measure, plain and simple.

All the Cruise Lines use the same method. They establish a cover charge to keep the Cheap Charlies and Tire Kickers out. They leave the cover charge alone so long as the resataurant is busy - but not too busy. As soon as demand outstrips supply, they raise the cover charge to discourage a few more percentage points. If the restaurant then has manageable numbers, the cover charge remains untouched until the next time the numbers get too high.

Eventually, too many people decide that the cover charge is well worth it. Again the restaurant gets too busy and the cover charge must be raised again.

A few cruise lines have even lowered or eliminated cover charges entirely when certain specialty restaurants were too slow. Although I doubt that HAL will ever have to worry about that at Pinnacle.

On the positive side they have not raised the cover charge for Lunch at Pinnacle. It remains at $10 - one of the greatest bargains on a HAL ship. Why didn't they raise it for lunch? Lunch at Pinnacle is not busy enough to warrant an increase - at least not yet.

I just made our reservations for the Pinnacle and the agent I spoke with said "Wow, there have been a lot of reservations made today - everyone must really like the Pinnacle!" I guess so . . . . . . .;)

Cost is $40 and we will have the voucher for the reservation in our cabin when we board. Sounds good to me! Thank you to the OP (fb0075) for letting us know about the increase, and to everyone else on this thread for your help (phone #, etc).

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I don't believe you can fairly compare HAL and Oceania, though. Isn't Oceania one of the premium lines? If so, it is pretty much all-inclusive. Yes, there are no separate charges for the specialty restaurants, but the base cruise fare is much higher on that line than on HAL. I don't think there are any specialty restaurant charges on lines like Regeant or Crystal either ... and there shouldn't be, considering what you are paying for the cruise itself. But I think on the mass market type lines, of which HAL is one, you will always find extra charges for the specialty restaurants. The question arises, though, just how much it is worth it to you to eat in one of them. To me, $20 was acceptable. $30 is a bit much ... especially if that $30 does not include gratuities. Now, I am being asked to pay around $40 for a meal onboard ship ... albet a good meal ... when I could eat in other venues for free. Since my lifestyle is such that I ordinarily don't spend a lot on dining out, my personal evaluation is that $30 is just not worth it to me ... at least not worth it for multiple visits to the Pinnacle as I enjoyed on my 30-day cruise this past January. If the charge had been $30 then, I probably would have eaten at most twice there ... whereas at $20, I found it worth it to eat there on four separate occasions (one of which was compliments of my TA).

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived