Something new to debate: FOOD

gizmo

My only wish is that the HAL dining rooms and every other restaurant on earth would get rid of the darn asparagus that seems to come with everything, wanted or not.

If you, unlike revneal and I, are among the 99.99999% of people that like it, sit at my table and you can have mine.

It is a vacation - enjoy yourself !!!

Everyone enjoys in their own way....enjoys different foods. Not everyone wishes to overeat. Some of us cruise very often and do not over indulge when on cruises because we know we will be back soon. Some wish to satisfy our appetite and hunger with moderate portions of excellent food. Not tons of food filling every inch of their plate. That actually ruins by appetite. If I am served a huge plate of high fat, high cholesterol food, I cannot think of eating it. I've lost all taste for it.

I want low fat, high fiber, low sugar offerings, lots of GOOD fish, many choices in vegetables and salads, a lean steak now and then, interesting low fat chicken dishes. Why shouldn't I reasonably expect to be able to eat well (not gouge on unhealthy choices) and sensibly I am quite sure I am not the only one who does not wish to stuff their face while cruising.

Sail-

I agree with you - especially on longer cruises - I get tired of rich food and the same rich selections.

I've never had difficulty finding anything I like to eat that is "regular" food. We often eat only cereal and berries for breakfast, the entire cruise. Lunch is usually a salad bar - I went to the Deli guy on the Maasdam and had him put a scoop of tuna in a bowl, then I added it to my salad...

In order to avoid a battle over who is right or wrong - I say to each his own - as you know, there are plenty of healthy choices available (veggies could be ramped up a bit though) if you know where to look for them & it sounds like you do! ;) Not everyone wants to spend his or her cruise worrying about diet - I do, you do & so do several others I've seen post - but I understand those who don't. My problem is I just can't eat that way anymore.

If I am served a huge plate of high fat, high cholesterol food, I cannot think of eating it. I've lost all taste for it.

I wish I could loose my appetite for it! :D

I ADORE a lovely plate of Fettucini Alfredo with chicken mixed in. 97 grams of fat per serving. YUM YUM. :D

SHOULD I eat it? Well, not in great quantities, and not all the time. But periodically ... sure.

Why shouldn't I reasonably expect to be able to eat well (not gouge on unhealthy choices) and sensibly I am quite sure I am not the only one who does not wish to stuff their face while cruising.

"Stuffing one's face" is in the mouth of the beholder -- so to speak. I enjoy a good meal, with lots of options. I don't always want something heavy ... but sometimes I DO have a hankering for some nice carbs. When I do, I like to be able to indulge ... and when I don't, I'd like to be able to avoid at least some of them without having to get the most bland, unappealing thing on the menu.

I'm not saying they should not offer the high fat and high carb foods. I think they should. What I AM saying is they ALSO need to offer other more healthy choices for those of us who wish to eat more sensibly and moderately. Seeing as the number of choices appear to be getting fewer, I am hoping they remember to leave in place (or add) what I have described I crave.

My only wish is that the HAL dining rooms and every other restaurant on earth would get rid of the darn asparagus that seems to come with everything, wanted or not.

If you, unlike revneal and I, are among the 99.99999% of people that like it, sit at my table and you can have mine.

cactuslady-

I'll take you up on it! I love the asparagus they serve onboard... for some reason, we don't always get the best fresh asparagus here in Colorado - or maybe I'm cooking it wrong! :confused:

Everyone enjoys in their own way....enjoys different foods. Not everyone wishes to overeat. Some of us cruise very often and do not over indulge when on cruises because we know we will be back soon. Some wish to satisfy our appetite and hunger with moderate portions of excellent food. Not tons of food filling every inch of their plate. That actually ruins by appetite. If I am served a huge plate of high fat, high cholesterol food, I cannot think of eating it. I've lost all taste for it.

I want low fat, high fiber, low sugar offerings, lots of GOOD fish, many choices in vegetables and salads, a lean steak now and then, interesting low fat chicken dishes. Why shouldn't I reasonably expect to be able to eat well (not gouge on unhealthy choices) and sensibly I am quite sure I am not the only one who does not wish to stuff their face while cruising.

I never said overeat nor stuff your face - you are exaggerating things.

I said you are on vacation, enjoy yourself. Live it up a little. There's a big difference between what you imply and what I said

My main point was, and still is that HAL offers a significant selection today. I would hate to see them change that . between 7 entrees, 4 appetizers, 2 or 3 soups, 2 or 3 salads, etc EVERYONE should be able to find something that suits their lifestyle. No need to go messing with the menu to incorporate the fad diet of the week. No need to create special low carb menus - the variety is there. People can choose as they wish.

Please - lets not ruin the food choices for others by pushing for special diet driven menus.

From what I've seen no cruise line is going to provide the options required to strictly maintain a diet. But it seems to me that there are enough options available to remain somewhat faithful to the eating habits that you're accustomed, whether that be low carb, low fat, weight watchers, south beach, etc. JMHO

Some people say what the heck I'm on vacation, I don't care if I gorge myself for a week. While others feel that eating themselves silly is not their idea of vacation. I'm OK with either, but I won't say which camp I fall in (but I'll take off a few pounds before my next cruise to be on the safe side).:D

- I say to each his own - as you know, there are plenty of healthy choices available (veggies could be ramped up a bit though) if you know where to look for them & it sounds like you do! ;) Not everyone wants to spend his or her cruise worrying about diet - I do, you do & so do several others I've seen post - but I understand those who don't.

Agreed. Thats my point. The variety exists today. Take a look at this menu and tell me someone on a particular diet couldn't find something suitable:

http://home.g-net.net/~cbrock/ZuiderdamMenuEastCarib.html

I would hate to see HAL take away some of these selections and start catering to the Fad diet of the week. I think the menu as it is suits everyone just fine these days. No need to change it

Superstein,

I agree with what you say, there is enough choice for everyone. But if the cruiselines decided to cater to a particular diet (say Atkins) then they would probably come out with one item each meal that was low-carb and leave the rest alone. I don't think that you'd be forced to eat low-carb for a week.

Orcrone - true, but I suspect they would start removing one or more current choices to cater to say just a low carb diet. True, I wouldn't have to eat the low carb- but that would be one less entree / appetizer / etc choice to ruminate over :)

I think there is plenty of variety today to fulfill everyone's needs within reason. Just my opinion.

Orcrone - true, but I suspect they would start removing one or more current choices to cater to say just a low carb diet. True, I wouldn't have to eat the low carb- but that would be one less entree / appetizer / etc choice to ruminate over :)

I think there is plenty of variety today to fulfill everyone's needs within reason. Just my opinion.

Some cruiselines already have a "healthy" selection and they are marked on the menu. I think RCCL's used to be an apple but they changed it to something else on our last cruise - I forget. Sometimes it includes just items already on the menu, and sometimes it's not.

I would think it wouldn't be too hard to do low-carb on a cruise. If you are on one that allows good carbs of potatoes and rice, the plain rice might be something that would need special ordering. Ordering veggies and fish/beef/chicken plain should work. It's really just how one orders it so I agree with the variety to fulfill everyone's needs but with modifications. I don't think however they would remove items to statisfy a particular diet group as there are too many diet plans to cater to.

Hal had a 'healthy' menu on the Oosterdam in Dec. It was a special section of the dinner menu called 'Jenny Jones'. It included an appetizer, salad, entree, and I think a dessert. Jenny is a diet/health guru. I posted all the Oo menus when we returned, incl. the Jenny Jones selections.

I have no idea if this was tried on other HAL ships or if it is still being featured on the Oosterdam. It could easily be changed to South Beach, Atkins, or whatever.

To satisfy the Healthy Choice crowd, maybe they should replace the Volcano Cake with a Healthy Choice dessert.;)

gizmo-

I hope not! I've had the Healthy Choice desserts... personally, I'd rather skip dessert than eat one of those! :eek:

I eat dessert on the cruise almost every night.. DH is not a big fan of sweets, but will have a bite or two of whatever I order with his coffee. I try and eat light during the day in order to indulge my sweet-tooth at night. It works for me! :D

We like Sugar Free jello and as a matter of fact, I'm eating one now.

On a ten day cruise, I usually have one dessert the whole cruise....Volcano.

I almost never order any dessert.

I certainly am not suggesting no desserts should be offered because I do not want any. I fully realize the vast majority of people want dessert and order at least one every night. They can have mine....more to go around for everyone else. :)

BTW...white potatoes and white rice are Not Good carbs.

Brown rice and sweet potatoes are far preferable.

BTW...white potatoes and white rice are Not Good carbs.

Brown rice and sweet potatoes are far preferable.

This is a good example of why it would be too hard for a cruiseline to cater to a particular diet plan in my opinion. Say your plan says potatoes and white rice aren't good carbs (I believe South Beach uses this theory). For the plan I'm on all of the above are good carbs. There are many varieties of low-carb plans out there and no 2 diet plans that are exactly the same. It would be a nightmare for the ships dietition to figure out all the "rules".

For the sugarfree jello - Does HAL have sugar free desserts on their ships? On RCCL they were better than the regular ones.:o

The healthy eating menu on the Oosterdam in December was actually called the 'Jeanne Jones In Balance Menu'. I bet it has been discontinued on the Oo, as no one else has ever mentioned it, and it certainly has not been used on other HAL ships. Actually someone had posted on a message board I read that the JJ dishes were not very good. I don't think most people, unless their diet is a life and death issue like food allergies or diabetes, want to count calories, fat and carb grams, or worry about food issues while they are on vacation. They just want to enjoy.

And, yes, there are several sugar free dessert choices on the dessert menu every day.

The healthy eating menu on the Oosterdam in December was actually called the 'Jeanne Jones In Balance Menu'.
Yes, that was the name of it.

I don't think most people, unless their diet is a life and death issue like food allergies or diabetes, want to count calories, fat and carb grams, or worry about food issues while they are on vacation. They just want to enjoy.

I tend to agree with this. Fortunately I can enjoy. I will worry about the diet when I get back home.

You are correct, Maureen. It would be impossible for any cruise ship to cater to all the different eating plans.

I am curious which plan that you use names white rice and potatoes good carbs. I do maintenance level on South Beach and it is not a low carb plan but rather Good carb.....as defined by Dr. Agatston. Which plan disagrees?

(I would be happy to have a baked potato now and then. :) )

:) Superstein...thank you for posting the site to those menus! First time for me on HAL...I LOVE LOVE LOVE those chilled fruit soups:D . (of course the only ones I have tasted are on X)....hope these are just as good!

The menu in the dining room looks fantastic to me!....Lots of choices and I might have to splurge and try the Pinnacle...hmmm...wonder if they have a table for 1?....think I should tell them I am a food writer? LOL..just kidding! Or maybe I can meet some new friends and we could eat there together...you never know:)

On 1 of the 2 Dutch nights there was sole on the menu, but it was not from Dover and it was not sole. The menu was varied but the quality has suffered. Alas!

No John Mulvaney.

The major disappointment for me was the soups. I used to love them. Even the Conch chowder was tasteless. The new chef likes to add too much flour without any seasonings. I had to add sugar to the corn chowder. one night 6 of 7 tablemates sent back their dinners.

Someone in Seattle must have found a broccoli sale. We had it in every way, shape, and form. 34 days of B********.

Apart from the poor communication company and ship-wide, and the mechanical crises, dinner was my only disappointment.

We had a ball! Great group, grreat bar service, great service in general, and apart from some trolls and grumps and shushers, great company. Lots of characters on board. It made people watching into an art form.

From helmut hair to the questionable genders, and the group that won trivia 33 days in a row, and everybody else with an agenda, and the cussers, we got miles of conversation fodder.

Review at 11, can't say what day tho...

Grannynurse

Archived