Something new to debate: FOOD

gizmo

With all the changes Hal has been making, perhaps food has been part of these changes. I noticed Ruth's comment about food and also the Dover Sole was mentioned on another thread.

On my last cruise in April two things come to mind.

No Dover Sole on Dutch Night. We had Cod instead.

Meatloaf instead of Prime Rib at Embarkation Lunch.

Anyone notice anything else?

Good thread Gizmo.

On my Rotterdam cruise this past March, when we went to the BBQ, we noticed that they ran out of ribs early in the BBQ, the steaks were small and kind of fatty. I cut around the fat parts and was satisfied with what I got, but the guys that were with us were still hungry.

I also noticed that only lobster was served on the last formal night, I remember when you got lobster on all the formal nights.

The thing I most fear is that there will be undo influence on the menu due to the "Low Carb" craze. I do watch what I eat all year, EXCEPT when I am on my cruise. I want to enjoy what I eat, for one week!!!!!

It will be interesting to see in September what food service is on the Prinsendam. Being a smaller ship with fewer passengers, it may not be an apples-to-apples comparison, however.

So far as the menus are concerned, we've always found something we really liked. The fact that we don't have to cook it or clean up afteward makes it all that much better!

With all the changes Hal has been making, perhaps food has been part of these changes. I noticed Ruth's comment about food and also the Dover Sole was mentioned on another thread.

On my last cruise in April two things come to mind.

No Dover Sole on Dutch Night. We had Cod instead.

Meatloaf instead of Prime Rib at Embarkation Lunch.

Anyone notice anything else?

Gizmo, We had some great Roast Beef in the Lido just after boarding. Both my DH and I remarked how tasty and tender it was. I did not see any Meatloaf. We were on the Oosterdam in May. I did notice No Dover Sole on Dutch Night but we had an abundant amount of wonderfully fresh salmon. I think I managed to have salmon one way or another every single day. We actually thought the food was really good this last cruise but then we had a mini 3 dayer on RCL in December and their food is nothing to write home about.:eek:

In June on the Maasdam:

No prime rib at Embarkation Lunch (subbed meatloaf)

No Dover Sole at Dutch Night

No crab legs at first formal night (I'll look up the sub)

If HAL's is going to get into low-carb, they have a LOT of work to do on the salads and veggies. We have never been impressed in the slightest with either in the regular dining room.

The thing I most fear is that there will be undo influence on the menu due to the "Low Carb" craze. I do watch what I eat all year, EXCEPT when I am on my cruise. I want to enjoy what I eat, for one week!!!!!

AGREED. BAN that Low-Carb menu crap onboard. You are on vacation !!!!! Live it up and enjoy yourself

If HAL's is going to get into low-carb, they have a LOT of work to do on the salads and veggies. We have never been impressed in the slightest with either in the regular dining room.

AGREED. I'm not picky when it comes to salads. Frankly, in my opinion a salad is a salad is a salad; lettuce, onion, cheese, bacon bits, dressing. Oh, sure, there are lots of other salads ... I'm just making a generalization. However, even I find something to be desired when it comes to HAL's dinner salad course ... and I have for years, now. :)

As for their veggies ... well ... I'm a carnivore. I like MEAT. So ... veggies are on the side to look nice and add some variation to what I eat. :) Give me MEAT, baby.

On our 5/29 Maasdam cruise I mentioned to the head waiter that I was looking forward to escargo and when would we have it. He said on the last cruise which was the 11 day one from Montrel they did not have it so he didn't know when or even if we would have it. He checked and even showed me the last formal night menu and sure enough no escargo listed. They had the cavier thing but no escargo. I raised the roof and so did others in my section when they realised they too would not get escargo. I told him this rough draft of the last night was unacceptable and he needed to tell whomever to add the escargo. Well come the last formal night escargo was on there. I even had two helpings of the little snails and they were great.

Does anybody else recall not getting escargo? We too had crab legs for appetizer and they were so small I asked for another one and got a triple plate full the second go round. I also noticed on lobster tail night you only got a half tail. Is this part of a cut back program?

We also noticed the Dover Sole missing from Dutch Night. There was another other fish entree offered but I do not recall what it was. We will miss the Dover Sole.

There were crab legs but they were not served as an entree.

Veggies.....I want well prepared, generously served portions of veggies. Broccolli, cauliflower, beans, eggplant, peppers, zucchini, summer squash, (skip the corn and beets---too much sugar), asperagus etc etc.....I want more Veggies. :)

The time we cruised X we found the food preparation to be much better than the bland offerings we had experienced on HAL. Since, however, we have realized a virtual renaissance in HAL's food prep. The quality has dramatically increased to where it is equal, or even superior.

I recall when HAL reduced the number of menu items offered each night. HAL's explanation was so the kitchen could better concentrate their efforts and provide a better product. At the time, most of us dismissed this as nothing more than corporate speak for cost cutting. Now I'm not so sure because the improvement in quality has been coincident with the menu cut backs. Maybe the reductions were made to cut costs, but also did allow better performance by the chefs and cooks?

I should add that we've always preferred HAL's Lido offerings. They continue to be far better than any other in our experience. Our one trip with NCL found the buffet offerings virtually inedible.

I must add that I'd certainly mourn the disappearance of escargot. It ruined one of my ties, but it was worth it.:)

On our 21 day repo cruise in April, they still had the Dover Sole on Dutch night. Also had lobster 3 or 4 times, crab legs as an entree and most of the other favorite things. We were told by the food and beverage manager that as this cruise was quite pricy, he thought the pax deserved top notch dining.

I did notice however, the chicken pot pie, fish and chips and meatloaf in the DR that RuthC refered to.

Desserts were not quite as good as usual in the Lido. A lot of the cakes were the same thing over and over with a different colour icing or fruit on top. Never saw cheesecake on the lido at lunchtime but we did have three different takes on the famous bread pudding....the chocolate bread pudding was scrumptious!!!....jean

One of the nice things about cruising for the first time is that everything is new and there are no preset expectations. DH and I both enjoyed the food on the Westerdam, regardless of where we ate. But I must admit that the Pinnacle was especially nice (the chocolate volcano cake was wonderful).

I also appreciated the portion sizes. I had read on the board how small the portions were and wondered what that really meant. To me, it meant that I could leave the table after a 5 course meal and not feel so stuffed that I couldn't enjoy the rest of the evening.

I could not have said it better myself.

For folks with no health issues......that is great; go for it.

For folks who watch what they eat for health reasons; the prime rib (protein) may not be the perfect food for them or intead they may want to enjoy a small portion of pasta (carb). There needs to be "something for everyone". The menu you yearn for may be unappealing to me and vice versa. A person with diabetes certainly should have every reasonable expectation the ship can accomodate their food needs.

I am hoping that the next generation of HAL menus will take into consideration the latest eating systems millions of folks are following.

I am hoping that the next generation of HAL menus will take into consideration the latest eating systems millions of folks are following.

The current menus offer plenty of variety. No need to change for the latest Atkins / Weight Watchers / South Beach / whatever is hot at the moment diet fad

It is a vacation - enjoy yourself !!!

On our 5/29 Maasdam cruise I mentioned to the head waiter that I was looking forward to escargo and when would we have it. He said on the last cruise which was the 11 day one from Montrel they did not have it so he didn't know when or even if we would have it. He checked and even showed me the last formal night menu and sure enough no escargo listed. They had the cavier thing but no escargo. I raised the roof and so did others in my section when they realised they too would not get escargo. I told him this rough draft of the last night was unacceptable and he needed to tell whomever to add the escargo. Well come the last formal night escargo was on there. I even had two helpings of the little snails and they were great.

Does anybody else recall not getting escargo? We too had crab legs for appetizer and they were so small I asked for another one and got a triple plate full the second go round. I also noticed on lobster tail night you only got a half tail. Is this part of a cut back program?

I hate to see cutbacks with the food. I sure hope they are not going in that direction. Escargot it one of my favorites. Glad you and the others raised the roof over it.

I have read about the "half" lobster tails a couple of times. We had a whole tail back in April on the Rotterdam.

WHAT, NO ESCARGOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad you raised the roof on that also. I always look forward to that when I sail HAL. I had escargot on my Rotterdam and was pleased. Let's hope the escargot isn't a thing of the past.

Archived