What "odd" things do you look forward to when cruising?

cruisin_cutie

A little nook somewhere, outside, where the two of us can be totally (I mean totally!) alone...

You'd be surprised how many there are.

Clue: try the top-most decks.

Anyone used a lifeboat?

Gee, I used to look forward to photographing the lifeboat interiors..:p jk, actually, I think cruising brings out the "outdoor enthusiast" in many couples (us too)

I like watching the newbie cruisers and how overwhelming the ship is; It's great to see the reaction to how big the ship is...

I will never forget I overheard a first time cruiser complaining about the view from her balcony;and she wanted to change rooms because it overlooked the "ugly roof top" of the cruise terminal; her husband reminded her that the ship would have a different view after we sailed... What was she thinking???

• 3 weeks later...

The Odd thing I look forward to is at dinner time when the assitant matire'D of the dining room Say "2nd seating of dinner is now being severed in both dining rooms, please be advised that the doors will be closed 15 minutes after the commencment of dinner. We wish you all buon appetito. It must be said with an asian accent!

My DH and I truly enjoy the late afternoon nap time......SOOO relaxing....Never get to do this at home, but absolutely love the naptime after being in port on some great excursion and before dinner......:D

We also loved the expressions of the newbies cruising for the first time....it makes me remember our first time(sniff sniff).......I'm taking our oldest DD and her friend for their first crusie in 6/08....it's going to be fantastic!

LOVE being able to feel the swaying of the ship rocking us to sleep at night....

CAN'T wait to go!!!.....(BIG SIGH)......

The limo ride to the pier...we are able to drink a cocktail (or 3) and by the time we see our ship we are almost giddy!! Like little kids...look look there it is!!! Our first step on the ship...the ohhhhs and ahhhhs.. can't wait! Only 34 more days!:D

My 4 favorite things I keep daydreaming about are:

1) Sitting at the back of the ship getting windblown and watching the propellers churn the water as we go farther out to sea.

2) On my second cruise I discovered the joy of bundling up in towels and falling asleep in a pool chair pool side. Some of the best timeless sleep you will ever have.

3) Sitting down for formal breakfast! I love having oatmeal served to me, it's just awesome.

4) Eating a toasted Peanut Butter and Jelly 3am, just delivered from room service!!

The limo ride to the pier...we are able to drink a cocktail (or 3) and by the time we see our ship we are almost giddy!! Like little kids...look look there it is!!! Our first step on the ship...the ohhhhs and ahhhhs.. can't wait! Only 34 more days!:D

I see that you live in Hemet. I saw the Ramona Pageant in about 1959. What an experience of an out-door pageant. Ramona still ranks as one of my fondest memories of growing up in California. And when I think of what California was like in the 1850's, those memories are always filled with images from Ramona.

Anyway, it is always interesting to see where are all the Cruise Critic members live. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

Hemet is still doing The Ramona Outdoor Play. Still a big deal. Growing up here we all see it as part of school...I just recently took my husband. Want to take my aunt, uncle and parents this year. Not sure if I can swing it..it starts soon after we return. Glad to hear from someone that knows Hemet!

Hemet is still doing The Ramona Outdoor Play. Still a big deal. Growing up here we all see it as part of school...I just recently took my husband. Want to take my aunt, uncle and parents this year. Not sure if I can swing it..it starts soon after we return. Glad to hear from someone that knows Hemet!

My bridge partner goes there to play golf in the winter, she sais that it is very inexpensive there.:)

john

1. We ALWAYS come home "honeymoon happy" -- and it will be 40 years in June.

2. We ALWAYS take that first step onto a cruise ship in unison and wish each other bon voyage.

3. Cell phone and computers didn't work, and it was too expensive to have our workplaces call us (sorry to hear that all these aren't true anymore)

4. Knowing that it is perfectly o.k. (even expected) to ask "Where are you from? and "Is this your first cruise?" to total strangers who you may end up hugging and crying with when it is all over, and they are no longer strangers but great friends, and knowing that it is rarely o.k. to ask "So what do you do?"

5. Knowing that the hardest decision we have to make is "Lobster or Steak?"

6. Watching us pull away or dock from our balcony -- how a ship works is fascinating to us

7. Having as much coffee/iced tea/martinis/food/ice cream as we want

8. Observing our rule "Walking good, eating not so good"

9. Everyone's new sneakers (If Reebok is smart, they should market to cruisers two months before they embark)

10. Being absolutely certain that THIS PARTICULAR cruise is never going to end

11. Knowing that half the world would give anything to change places with you and being so grateful

12. The piano bar

13. Sunsets and sunrises

14. The anticipation of the cruise

15. The absolute joy of meeting people from all over the world

and -- most important to us:

16. Knowing that we are very, very blessed to be able to be together -- really together -- for so much time

I cannot wait

1. We ALWAYS come home "honeymoon happy" -- and it will be 40 years in June.

2. We ALWAYS take that first step onto a cruise ship in unison and wish each other bon voyage.

3. Cell phone and computers didn't work, and it was too expensive to have our workplaces call us (sorry to hear that all these aren't true anymore)

4. Knowing that it is perfectly o.k. (even expected) to ask "Where are you from? and "Is this your first cruise?" to total strangers who you may end up hugging and crying with when it is all over, and they are no longer strangers but great friends, and knowing that it is rarely o.k. to ask "So what do you do?"

5. Knowing that the hardest decision we have to make is "Lobster or Steak?"

6. Watching us pull away or dock from our balcony -- how a ship works is fascinating to us

7. Having as much coffee/iced tea/martinis/food/ice cream as we want

8. Observing our rule "Walking good, eating not so good"

9. Everyone's new sneakers (If Reebok is smart, they should market to cruisers two months before they embark)

10. Being absolutely certain that THIS PARTICULAR cruise is never going to end

11. Knowing that half the world would give anything to change places with you and being so grateful

12. The piano bar

13. Sunsets and sunrises

14. The anticipation of the cruise

15. The absolute joy of meeting people from all over the world

and -- most important to us:

16. Knowing that we are very, very blessed to be able to be together -- really together -- for so much time

I cannot wait

Your words are perfect, I think the grace in cruising together has never been said better.

My DH and I love to feel the ship moving, especially after an exhausting but wonderful day in port. We love to have the ship gently rock us to sleep. I told him he should come up with a way for our house to do that! We even like the rougher seas. (I know - we're weird!)

I love the rolling of the ship too in rougher seas. Those new stabilizers do just too good a job.

It used to be that you felt the motion of a ship long after you got off. No more! I miss those rubber legs.

My hubby and I both enjoy when we arrive at port and watch most everyone looking up at the ship with total awe and saying OOOOOh, AAAAAh!

Of course, we join in.

I like to pick someone on shore watching and pretend that they are my beloved family. I wave enthusiatically. This is also fun to do on merry-go-rounds, etc. The pretend family often smiles the first few times around but eventually starts to scowl or grow bored.

• 2 months later...

I look forward to the sound of the poty again! I remember going to the restroom(public) after my first couple of "special drinks" during the sail away party. I did my (you know what) and then flushed. It scared the daylights out of me and I yelled "holy ****" I came out of the stall and there were a couple of women that smiled and greeted me to my first cruise :)

I didn't tell my friends...and waited to hear there reactions too....one was quite colorfull :)

I am sad that I will not get that "surprise" again:(

OMG... I lived in Hemet oh so many years ago! Went to the play, too! In fact, I had friends with PARTS in the play!! :p

Wow..

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Hemet too!

I most look forward to taking a nap every day, since I'm up so late at night and up so early in the morning during a cruise!

I also enjoy trying new foods without having to pay for them (well, we did pay, but you know what I mean).